• You cannot reply to this topic

2016 Summer Olympic Games

#121 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:46 PM

Modern Pentathlon is by far the coolest discipline in the Olympics, imho.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#122 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:54 PM

Netherlands versus GB in the hockey women's final. Damn, conflicting sentiments here. My wife supports GB, I root for Holland. May have to sleep in the spare room tonight.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#123 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:49 PM

Well, it's 2-2 so far despite an utterly dominant Holland. So I guess she'll be okay.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#124 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:23 PM

Ffs. One way traffic, netherlands has all the possession and all the chances. GB 3 chances and 3 goals. For crying out loud.

My wife is laughing.Posted Image

#125 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 August 2016 - 09:54 PM

Bloody hell. Most unjustified victory for team GB this tournament. This one really hurts. The Dutch were all over the Brits. If not for that bloody goalie, it could have been 15-3. Dear gods.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 19 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

#126 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 August 2016 - 03:54 AM

View PostBriar King, on 20 August 2016 - 01:49 AM, said:

Bolt 9th gold. Amazing. Really hoping that was indeed his last so he can go out in 100% glory but we ll see.

Da FUQ?! We just had the bronze yanked and given to CAN. I think that DQ is going to be overturned and given back to us.

US DOES have the most complaining power @ the Olympics, so I wouldn't be surprised.
I believe it was a line violation that did it. Same thing happened to CA in 2012 when they lost the bronze.

#127 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:32 AM

Forget the female beach volleyball players. The women Pole Vaulters are sizzling! They can vault my pole anytime < < < < < see what I did there? Posted Image

#128 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:29 AM

Don't think that will get them over any significant obstacle.

See what I did there?

#129 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

Nice to see the Boomers kept up the Australian tradition of choking horribly. ^_^
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#130 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 20 August 2016 - 11:31 PM

Dammit, the Brasilians won the soccer gold. Was really hoping those pricks would lose badly again vs Germany. ^_^

On the bright side, it wasn't exactly convincing: 1-1 at full time and 5-4 in the shootout.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#131 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:41 AM

Damn. I cant imagine celebrating and then being told you've been DQ'd.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#132 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:20 AM

Yeah, and then to give it back.

And the guy who finished 5th, then thinks he's got bronze, then nope. Just kidding.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#133 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

out drinkin and dancing all night, so don';t care about results.

But our boy got silver in pentathlon. Fuck yeah. considering he was like 6th when I left (b4 the jumping and then the running/shooting), daymn, that's a good result.

Now, imagine if Russia was actually not allowed to participate... how many medals would've UA racked up then, ^_^

#134 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

Rhythmic gymnastics is the most beautiful thing invented by mankind. The only Olympic sport that I watch in it's entirety. The medal competition is tomorrow and I'm just floored at how good the competitors are this year (watching the qualifications now).
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#135 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 21 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

Rhythmic gymnastics is the most beautiful thing invented by mankind. The only Olympic sport that I watch in it's entirety. The medal competition is tomorrow and I'm just floored at how good the competitors are this year (watching the qualifications now).

The problem I have with "beauty" is that there's no even close to objective way to measure it in an athletic pursuit like this. We're relying on a panel of judges who we flat out know harbor nationalistic biases and are being regularly bribed.

Compare this to "scoring a goal/points" or "running faster/jumping higher/throwing farther/lifting more weight" and we see that there's two different kinds of athletic pursuits here - sports and competitions. Sports have close to objective ways to figure out a winner. I'm including boxing in this because you can KO an opponent and the judges come in because to fight until there's a KO would sometimes take hundreds of rounds (like the old days of boxing). But competitions rely solely on judges to evaluate who has the highest score according to some technical benchmarks and a whole lot of "who did it more beautifully" - whatever that means.

So... rhythmic gymnastics is beautiful. But it's not a sport. Neither is regular gymnastics, dancing, figure skating, or diving.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#136 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 August 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 21 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

The problem I have with "beauty" is that there's no even close to objective way to measure it in an athletic pursuit like this. We're relying on a panel of judges who we flat out know harbor nationalistic biases and are being regularly bribed.

Compare this to "scoring a goal/points" or "running faster/jumping higher/throwing farther/lifting more weight" and we see that there's two different kinds of athletic pursuits here - sports and competitions. Sports have close to objective ways to figure out a winner. I'm including boxing in this because you can KO an opponent and the judges come in because to fight until there's a KO would sometimes take hundreds of rounds (like the old days of boxing). But competitions rely solely on judges to evaluate who has the highest score according to some technical benchmarks and a whole lot of "who did it more beautifully" - whatever that means.

So... rhythmic gymnastics is beautiful. But it's not a sport. Neither is regular gymnastics, dancing, figure skating, or diving.

I honestly don't see a significant difference between the two "groups" of athletic pursuits you've chosen. In almost all of your sports the referees have almost as much influence as in Rhythmic gymnastics. In weightlifting they DQed Behdah Salimi for no reason. There was talk higher up thread about all the DQs in running. We all know that the Olympic boxing matches are being fixed. The technical sports have clear and fair guidelines for scoring based on the moves you've been able to perform, and even an untrained person can see the obvious difference between the top five finishers and the rest of the field.

The judging procedure in rhythmic gymnastic (and most other "technical" sports) specifically gets rid of the outlier scores. Add that to the high number of judges these sports have and you get a fairly just system.
I'm pretty sure that's a far better system than simply DQing athletes for arcane reasons.

The best system is of course the system that Esports have, where the only referees in the match are the algorithms and you simply cannot claim unfairness. Other than that, all refereed sports are inherently unfair. Given a choice though, I would prefer a system where fixing is more difficult than paying the main referee of a match.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#137 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

Salimi's elbow was moving. You can see it in the videos. Heartbreaking for him, but that's a real dq, not a bullshit one.

The running DQs are pretty easy to find - a lane violation, a handoff before the zone, a bump.

#138 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 21 August 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

The best system is of course the system that Esports have, where the only referees in the match are the algorithms and you simply cannot claim unfairness. Other than that, all refereed sports are inherently unfair. Given a choice though, I would prefer a system where fixing is more difficult than paying the main referee of a match.

EPcept when theres a bug and youd have to remake the game in its entirety to contest (Happened during msi last year with someone on sejuani having her dash cancelled by terrain and basically loosing a flash for no good reason)

#139 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

Why does King beating Yulia by a little bit fire you up? The real story behind Yulia and PEDs is different from what NBC's talking heads say and it's not black and white.

#140 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Bolts 3*3 golds is massively impressive.
But I always wonder when these kind of benchmarks are set how many Jesse Owens could have won had thing went differently in his career and, obviously, ww2 hadn't happened.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users