• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2016 Summer Olympic Games

#221 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:30 AM

Oh shit.....poor Daley and GB. He's not in final and that's gotta sting like a mofo for GB. That sucked to see
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#222 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:32 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 21 August 2016 - 02:20 AM, said:

Yeah, and then to give it back.

And the guy who finished 5th, then thinks he's got bronze, then nope. Just kidding.

I'm confused. When it was 1st brought up its cause he pushed Cuba guy and then later on overturn it was cause part of his foot was on line.

#223 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 21 August 2016 - 05:11 AM

out drinkin and dancing all night, so don';t care about results.

But our boy got silver in pentathlon. Fuck yeah. considering he was like 6th when I left (b4 the jumping and then the running/shooting), daymn, that's a good result.

Now, imagine if Russia was actually not allowed to participate... how many medals would've UA racked up then, ^_^
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#224 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

Rhythmic gymnastics is the most beautiful thing invented by mankind. The only Olympic sport that I watch in it's entirety. The medal competition is tomorrow and I'm just floored at how good the competitors are this year (watching the qualifications now).
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#225 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:19 AM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 21 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

Rhythmic gymnastics is the most beautiful thing invented by mankind. The only Olympic sport that I watch in it's entirety. The medal competition is tomorrow and I'm just floored at how good the competitors are this year (watching the qualifications now).

The problem I have with "beauty" is that there's no even close to objective way to measure it in an athletic pursuit like this. We're relying on a panel of judges who we flat out know harbor nationalistic biases and are being regularly bribed.

Compare this to "scoring a goal/points" or "running faster/jumping higher/throwing farther/lifting more weight" and we see that there's two different kinds of athletic pursuits here - sports and competitions. Sports have close to objective ways to figure out a winner. I'm including boxing in this because you can KO an opponent and the judges come in because to fight until there's a KO would sometimes take hundreds of rounds (like the old days of boxing). But competitions rely solely on judges to evaluate who has the highest score according to some technical benchmarks and a whole lot of "who did it more beautifully" - whatever that means.

So... rhythmic gymnastics is beautiful. But it's not a sport. Neither is regular gymnastics, dancing, figure skating, or diving.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#226 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 21 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

View Postamphibian, on 21 August 2016 - 07:19 AM, said:

View PostEmperorMagus, on 21 August 2016 - 06:07 AM, said:

The problem I have with "beauty" is that there's no even close to objective way to measure it in an athletic pursuit like this. We're relying on a panel of judges who we flat out know harbor nationalistic biases and are being regularly bribed.

Compare this to "scoring a goal/points" or "running faster/jumping higher/throwing farther/lifting more weight" and we see that there's two different kinds of athletic pursuits here - sports and competitions. Sports have close to objective ways to figure out a winner. I'm including boxing in this because you can KO an opponent and the judges come in because to fight until there's a KO would sometimes take hundreds of rounds (like the old days of boxing). But competitions rely solely on judges to evaluate who has the highest score according to some technical benchmarks and a whole lot of "who did it more beautifully" - whatever that means.

So... rhythmic gymnastics is beautiful. But it's not a sport. Neither is regular gymnastics, dancing, figure skating, or diving.

I honestly don't see a significant difference between the two "groups" of athletic pursuits you've chosen. In almost all of your sports the referees have almost as much influence as in Rhythmic gymnastics. In weightlifting they DQed Behdah Salimi for no reason. There was talk higher up thread about all the DQs in running. We all know that the Olympic boxing matches are being fixed. The technical sports have clear and fair guidelines for scoring based on the moves you've been able to perform, and even an untrained person can see the obvious difference between the top five finishers and the rest of the field.

The judging procedure in rhythmic gymnastic (and most other "technical" sports) specifically gets rid of the outlier scores. Add that to the high number of judges these sports have and you get a fairly just system.
I'm pretty sure that's a far better system than simply DQing athletes for arcane reasons.

The best system is of course the system that Esports have, where the only referees in the match are the algorithms and you simply cannot claim unfairness. Other than that, all refereed sports are inherently unfair. Given a choice though, I would prefer a system where fixing is more difficult than paying the main referee of a match.
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#227 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:07 PM

Salimi's elbow was moving. You can see it in the videos. Heartbreaking for him, but that's a real dq, not a bullshit one.

The running DQs are pretty easy to find - a lane violation, a handoff before the zone, a bump.

#228 User is online   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 21 August 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostEmperorMagus, on 21 August 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

The best system is of course the system that Esports have, where the only referees in the match are the algorithms and you simply cannot claim unfairness. Other than that, all refereed sports are inherently unfair. Given a choice though, I would prefer a system where fixing is more difficult than paying the main referee of a match.

EPcept when theres a bug and youd have to remake the game in its entirety to contest (Happened during msi last year with someone on sejuani having her dash cancelled by terrain and basically loosing a flash for no good reason)

#229 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 21 August 2016 - 06:00 PM

Sigh. BRA takes gold in men 6v6 VB vs Italy.

#230 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:01 AM

Awww closing time. ^_^ always sad to me.

Showing highlights now and they just showed King slaying Yulia. So epic that night!

#231 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:09 AM

Why does King beating Yulia by a little bit fire you up? The real story behind Yulia and PEDs is different from what NBC's talking heads say and it's not black and white.

#232 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:57 AM

Ummmm did you actually watch it live? Other people that did here seemed to think it was pretty dope and I can guarentee in yrs to come up and comers will say they were inspired to be in Games cause of that race.

Besides why the hell would it matter if it's just by a little bit? It was great

This post has been edited by Briar King: 22 August 2016 - 04:20 AM

#233 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 22 August 2016 - 04:19 AM

Bye bye Rio. That was a really great closing ceremony I thought compared to opener. The Slave/Lace tribute was my fav show put on by BRA but I thought the Japan show for 2020 was pretty epic. I liked it so much more then BRA bit in London 2012. You can't not think about Mario when thinking about Japan so seeing Mario was fantastic. That whole skit stole the night for me. Something that was truly beautiful was the rain pouring down during most of the ceremony. I'm excited for Tokyo but before that Pyongyang(?) S Korea! *idk if I just stated N Korea city instead

#234 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

Bolts 3*3 golds is massively impressive.
But I always wonder when these kind of benchmarks are set how many Jesse Owens could have won had thing went differently in his career and, obviously, ww2 hadn't happened.

#235 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:42 AM

View PostMacros, on 22 August 2016 - 10:23 AM, said:

Bolts 3*3 golds is massively impressive.
But I always wonder when these kind of benchmarks are set how many Jesse Owens could have won had thing went differently in his career and, obviously, ww2 hadn't happened.

Ah, "If" ... the favourite mental pursuit of the armchair sportsman. ^_^

Eg, If Rod Laver hadn't been punted from international tennis for 6 years after going pro, I dare say Federer would still be way behind him. Discuss.

If the (referee/umpire/officials) wasn't (corrupt/blind/incompetent) then (team/individual) would have won (event) instead of (actual winner).

If WWII hadn't rudely interrupted, Don Bradman's test runs total as well as average would never have been overtaken.

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 22 August 2016 - 10:43 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#236 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:49 AM

I know nothing about tennis, so can't possibly comment.
I just always wonder if he had had a crack at another olympics if he would have done another 4 or not. He was the best athlete about at the time, much as bolt is currently.
Mere idle speculation on my part my dear Sombra, those panties need not be bunched so

#237 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• Make the Empire Great Again

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:16 AM

View PostMacros, on 22 August 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I just always wonder if he had had a crack at another olympics if he would have done another 4 or not. He was the best athlete about at the time, much as bolt is currently.
Mere idle speculation on my part my dear Sombra, those panties need not be bunched so

I know, I was just poking fun at you. And I'm not wearing any panties. ^_^

But to be slightly serious, those sorts of "what ifs" are like an infinitely variable rabbit-hole we love to get drawn into.

This post has been edited by Captain Needa: 22 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#238 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

View PostCaptain Needa, on 22 August 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostMacros, on 22 August 2016 - 10:49 AM, said:

I know, I was just poking fun at you. And I'm not wearing any panties. ^_^

But to be slightly serious, those sorts of "what ifs" are like an infinitely variable rabbit-hole we love to get drawn into.

Don't forget, he's a Liverpool fan. They have been basically surviving off an ever growing list of "if only" and "what if" scenarios for about the last decade now...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users