Malazan Empire: Kickstarter - Fantasy Anthology by Grimdark Magazine - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kickstarter - Fantasy Anthology by Grimdark Magazine

#1 User is offline   Wilshire 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thought this seemed like a good place to post this.
Grimdark magazine has posted intentions to start a kickstarter on June 15th for an anthology of fantasy writers.

TBH I don't know most of the names, but R Scott Bakker and Tchaikovsky obviously stand out.

I'm pretty excited about it, anyone else?
Anyone want to weigh in on some of the names?

https://grimdarkmaga...S9ReTbY.twitter

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

View PostWilshire, on 27 May 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

Thought this seemed like a good place to post this.
Grimdark magazine has posted intentions to start a kickstarter on June 15th for an anthology of fantasy writers.

TBH I don't know most of the names, but R Scott Bakker and Tchaikovsky obviously stand out.

I'm pretty excited about it, anyone else?
Anyone want to weigh in on some of the names?

https://grimdarkmaga...S9ReTbY.twitter

I recognize a few.. Schaefer's had some love here, Wurts is a classic... a few others i recognize but have no opinion on.

I'll watch this with interest... my prejudices against anthologies are well entraneched and based on far too much experience but as a means to get a book published i'm curious to see how this goes.
Also, anything that keeps Bakker writing fiction is golden.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 27 May 2016 - 06:32 PM

Marc Turner is an occasional visitor here. Very good writer in a similar to Malazan style.

Bradley Beaulieu is pretty alright. I wasn't a huge enough fan to finish reading his series beyond the first book, but in terms of technical ability, he's a fine writer.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:11 PM

Salyards and Schafer are both very good.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 May 2016 - 10:56 PM

Im.not sure I get it.
Is this a fan doing a kickstarter and needs money to pay these authors to write?
Or is it a collection of already successful authors looking for money to write?
If the latter Im baffled as to why they need a kickstarter. Just write something, it'll be published

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 May 2016 - 11:05 PM

It's a genre magazine trying to fund the whole enterprise top to bottom, as far as I can tell.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 May 2016 - 12:41 AM

View PostAbyss, on 27 May 2016 - 05:34 PM, said:

I'll watch this with interest... my prejudices against anthologies are well entraneched and based on far too much experience

Largely this. One (maybe 2) good stories from writers you may or may not have heard of, and a whole heap of by the numbers garbage that could have been knocked out in an afternoon by people you've never heard of before or since.

Having said that, Bakker, Staveley, Tchaikovsky and Williams i've read and enjoyed. Beaulieu as well.

That gives it (for me) 5 potential good stories. puts it 2/3 authors ahead of most anthologies i've seen. And an (apparently) interesting unifying theme for the stories.

will watch with interest, and peruse if it ever makes it to publishing.
meh. Link was dead :(

#8 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:50 AM

This is the first anthology I've seen where I recognize more authors than not. I'm game... if I had money, that is. Otherwise I'm game. I have big plans to read Salyards, Staveley and Turner's works as I've heard plenty of praise - just got this tome called Fall of Light (and Dancer's Lament) to finish first.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#9 User is online   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 28 May 2016 - 11:46 AM

I don't have an awful lot of time for Grimdark Magazine, because from what I've seen of it they take the concept of Grimdark as a genre far too seriously for my tastes, but that is a fine collection of authors they've assembled there.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:24 PM

This has been funded now, with 3 stretch goals met, including artwork for every story and free ebooks for all backers (4 issues of GdM + 2 novellas by someone named Matthew Ward.)

I'm in for the ebook, as it (plus whatever goodies come with it) is only $9 USD. (The Kickstarter itself is in AUD.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#11 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

8 issues of GdM (ebook) have now been unlocked.

#12 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 13 July 2016 - 01:09 PM

More rewards unlocked: additional authors added (including Janny Wurtz) as well as more free ebooks thrown in (including the BLACKGUARDS fantasy anthology.)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users