Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thank you Wreneck And Anomander and Breed

#1 User is offline   Edonidd 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:52 PM

I am having such a hard time getting into this book, I don't know if it's just me, but I just can't get into it. Part of it is I haven't touched any of the older books in years, so every single name that gets mentioned sounds familiar but i don't remember any of them clearly. But another part is not just that it's "dark" but it's just kind of dreary. Yeah, everyone is having all these deep dark inner monologues but almost none of them are interesting. I was seriously about to put the book down.

Then a scene with Wreneck, Rake, and Breed came along and showed me that SE is still SE and he can still work that magic. It restored my faith enough that I will definitely finish the book.

I guess I just wanted to give props for a masterful scene. Maybe it stands out even more in this book than it otherwise would have.

#2 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:20 PM

I concur the beginning of the book was a bit mopey to get through, i blame Kellaras

Wreneck however, easily became my favorite character to follow in the story.

#3 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

Kruppe, on 26 July 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

I concur the beginning of the book was a bit mopey to get through. Then it went through a bit of a rough patch. Then things slowed down. After that it kind of lost momentum and got depressing. But once you got through all that, the book was finished

Wreneck however, easily became my favorite character to follow in the story.

ftfy
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

I can't say Wreneck was ever my favorite storyline, but I enjoyed his sequences far more than I expected to.

I found his initial 'possibly mentally challenged boy-man finds lost love, seeks revenge' rough mostly I found it predictable. It was clear he was leaving, it was clear Jaina wouldn't stay with him, etc. But once he met Brood and rake, things got fun, and I enjoyed his perspective of those two, events at Draconus' keep, and then Sandalath, Korlat and Orfantal.

I have mixed feelings about his re-enacting the battle with Hustain, but overall it didn't bother me.

...and the scene in the aftermath of the battle was pretty much perfect.

I won't be sorry if we don't see Wreneck in bk 3, but hist storyline in FoD worked more than it didn't for me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   NefaraisBredd 

• Fist

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:20 PM

Reading this book called a rather funny image to my mind that i still giggle at when i think of it. It's like William Shakespeare, JRR Tolkien, and Tad Williams are sitting at a bar telling stories and they all meld into one cohesive and poetic saga As Fisher (AKA, SE) records a story that makes one feel drunk when trying to read between the lines. It was the hardest book to read out of all of Malazan books thus far. Prazek and Dathenar are prolly my favorite characters in FoL. So many hints of things to come and a few awesome familiar characters are getting some back-story fleshed out like, Ardata, Telorast and Curdle, Osserc, etc. Still a damn hard read and not one ill do again anytime soon.

#6 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

On a side note, who were the dying gods that Wreneck was talking to before he woke up in the care of Anomander and Caladan?

Quote from the book:

Who are you? Wreneck asked.

‘We are dying gods.’

Why are you dying?

‘To make way for our children.’

But they need you!

‘They think not. Lessons, Wreneck, are not easily won. We see a future filled with blood. But you, child, we were drawn to you. Even so near death, you shine bright. We will leave you now. Do not ask our blessing. It has become a curse. Nature is an eternal child. Thus we, the eternal children of the world, now understand the notion of surrender. It is time, alas, to go away.’

Some memories returned to Wreneck, and with them, his friend vanished.

This post has been edited by Raraku: 13 August 2016 - 07:23 PM

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:00 PM

My guess: the primitive gods of nature that predate even the Elder Gods (who of course are that future filled with blood), and of which the River God who already died is an example.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 August 2016 - 04:56 AM

When Envy tried to kill Wreneck, some of those gods took the hit for him and 'died'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Raraku 

• Fist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: (COPPA) Users Awaiting Moderatio

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I had forgotten that bit and have yet to reach it on my re-read.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users