Malazan Empire: Lady Envy's Goals, Toc The Younger's Ordeal, & Shrugging - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lady Envy's Goals, Toc The Younger's Ordeal, & Shrugging

#1 User is offline   Herrick The Younger 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

What is Lady Envy's goal? I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in the book but after 500 pages or so...I forgot. Why is she travelling towards the Seer's land? I think she was on course to The Rent but why? I don't remember. I'm usually decent at scanning back through hundreds of pages to find a certain part of a book but in this case...I couldn't do it Posted Image

Toc the Younger's capture by the seer and delivery to the Matron was even more horrific on my second read through of Memories of Ice. Throughout the book, I was dreading the moment of his capture. I forgot that he ends up with the Tenescowri and as soon as I got up that that part, I immediately felt bad for Toc. After he's delivered to the Matron, there's that one terrible line that goes something like, "There was moaning in the cavern, the twin voices of Toc and his captor". One of the few things I've read in fiction that almost makes me shudder.

Now on to shrugging. Does anyone else think shrugs are way overused? I don't know if it's because this book is longer than the previous two but almost every character shrugs even when it doesn't really make sense to shrug in response to something. Lady Envy asked, "What day is it today?" Herrick shrugged, "Saturday." Even a spirit near the end of the book (I think it was a Barghast or a Rhivi spirit or something) shrugs a couple times.

It's funny in Gardens of the Moon when Kalam shrugs twice in response to Tattersail's questioning him about being a Claw but at this point, I think it's overdone. I guess I better get used to it because within the first 10 pages of the next book, one character shrugs and even a spirit/god) shrugs Posted Image

This post has been edited by Herrick: 14 May 2016 - 04:54 PM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:12 PM

The amount of shrugging seems normal to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

Maybe keep track of how often people shrug in your day to day conversations. It's surprisingly often.

Anyway, Lady Envy's goals.... basically the Pannion Seer had annoyed her. She's both petty and ridiculously powerful.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:43 PM

Am I wrong in thinking she wants to reunite with Anomander and the Pannion Seer is something like a distraction she needs to get rid of? Maybe I'm just making that up.

#5 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:00 PM

View Postworry, on 14 May 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Am I wrong in thinking she wants to reunite with Anomander and the Pannion Seer is something like a distraction she needs to get rid of? Maybe I'm just making that up.

If I remember correctly her main goal was to warn Anomander about Draconus making plans to escape Dragnipur. And other things he already knew.

Wasn't she helping K'rul with the attack on the Domin?
And I think she had a lot of fun with the Dominion Soldiers. Until the Seer got Toc. Than crushing the Domin was something personal. :D

#6 User is offline   Herrick The Younger 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

I could've sworn she wanted to get to The Rent. I wish I had an e-reader. I bet it would be easier to find out this kind of stuff with one of those.

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 May 2016 - 11:14 PM

They start out their journey at the Rent (at least that's where Toc gets spit out of Chaos and joins them), so that can't be her destination.

#8 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostHerrick, on 15 May 2016 - 10:59 PM, said:

I could've sworn she wanted to get to The Rent. I wish I had an e-reader. I bet it would be easier to find out this kind of stuff with one of those.

Nah. She starts off there. Apparently that's where she lives. Or, had been dwelling for a bit when Toc meets her.

This post has been edited by Kanese S's: 16 May 2016 - 09:06 AM

Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#9 User is offline   Herrick The Younger 

• Corporal

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:57 PM

I thought The Rent was the place or portal where the two Jaghut children were thrown into in the prologue. Isn't that where the Seer (the Jaghut) frees his sister and replaces her with the Matron?

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 May 2016 - 10:16 PM

That is the Rent, but it's above Morn -- their starting point. They are heading NE towards Coral, where the Pannion Seer ends up.

#11 User is offline   Herrick The Younger 

• Corporal

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

View Postworry, on 17 May 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

That is the Rent, but it's above Morn -- their starting point. They are heading NE towards Coral, where the Pannion Seer ends up.

Now I'm really confused. The Seer ends up freeing his sister but I don't recall him traveling back to Morn to do so. It seemed like he did it right there on the spot when Paran and Quick Ben talk him into it. Did the Seer not need to travel back to the Rent in Morn in order to free his sister?

#12 User is offline   Keysi 

• Fist

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:25 PM

I too have noticed a massive amount of shrugging in this series as a whole, not just this book.

Spoiler for the next book- people shrugged.

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostHerrick, on 21 May 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Now I'm really confused. The Seer ends up freeing his sister but I don't recall him traveling back to Morn to do so. It seemed like he did it right there on the spot when Paran and Quick Ben talk him into it. Did the Seer not need to travel back to the Rent in Morn in order to free his sister?

As you may recall, Quick Ben and Paran face off against the Pannion Seer on the roof of the keep in Coral. Kilava was there as well. Moon's Spawn then showed up on a ramming course with the keep. Seconds before Moon's Spawn crashes into the keep, Quick Ben calls on Talamandas. Then Moon's Spawn hits and obliterates the keep. Next thing we know, they emerge from a portal at the rent and the Pannion Seer is magically imprisoned by Talamandas. So clearly Quick Ben and Talamandas had worked on a Warren portal to the rent with the intention to hijack the Pannion Seer and free his sister.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 10 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users