• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

forulkan

#1 User is offline   wabus44 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

SPOILeRS

I have not posted for some time but am compelled to now. Having recently reread the Malazan series and finishing Fall of Light I have two things that nag at me. First, the Forkrul Assail are depicted to be very powerful in the Malazan books, yet do not seem so powerful in the Kharkanas books. In Chapter 1 of FoL the combatants seem of ordinary skill. Yet the Legion had defeated the forulkan. I do have a second observation as well relating to the maps and the inclusion of the Jhag Odhun, sure looks like seven cities continent to me. Anyways, hopefully someone more observant than I am can shed light on the forulkan issue.

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:55 AM

The Forkrul Assail we see in the MBotF are the, well, Assail - their priestly caste, presumably more powerful than the normal ones. From this we can conclude that the Forulkan talked about in FoD and FoL are the footsoldiers, they may be still hard to kill, but not impossible with enough numbers.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   SaggyTeats 

• Recruit

Posted 07 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Spoiler

#4 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 07 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

And we talking about Tiste, not mere humans. Didn't the Forkrul Assail power up when they killed their god in what became the glass desert?

#5 User is offline   lobo the wolfman 

• Wide Eyed Stupid
  • Interests:Beer, books and heavy metal.

Posted 08 May 2016 - 06:00 AM

I agree about the Forulkan seeming weak, but then so do the Tiste. In the main series the Tiste Andii seem pretty physically strong and are ageless, but in these books they are quite normal. Plus the Forulkan blood is described as being red, when in the main series l think it was blue. So l'm thinking something major happens to the races to change them before this series has ended.
In a world gone mad, we will not spank the monkey, but the monkey will spank us.

#6 User is offline   petete 

• Recruit

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:37 PM

View Postlobo the wolfman, on 08 May 2016 - 06:00 AM, said:

I agree about the Forulkan seeming weak, but then so do the Tiste. In the main series the Tiste Andii seem pretty physically strong and are ageless, but in these books they are quite normal. Plus the Forulkan blood is described as being red, when in the main series l think it was blue. So l'm thinking something major happens to the races to change them before this series has ended.

The Tiste are ageless here as well. I mean, isn't Mother Sheccanto 2k years old?

#7 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 08 May 2016 - 05:49 PM

Yes, but she is dying of old age. They seem to have lifespans of 1000+ years (Draconus' adoptive mother dies suddenly at 500) though seems very few make it that long. Also there are hints that extreme stress ages them. One of Draconus' men had nearly starved during the war and had a highly unusual, wrinkled face as a result.

The Forkrul Assail are indeed the priests, like those with Rake are mostly mages and priets too. Magic causes agelessness somehow. Might be connected to dragon blood.

Another possibility is they really came from a different world and that somehow makes one much stronger. All the ' demons' we see are terrifingly strong, even if they were peasants in their home realm.

#8 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:35 AM

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 08 May 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Yes, but she is dying of old age. They seem to have lifespans of 1000+ years (Draconus' adoptive mother dies suddenly at 500) though seems very few make it that long. Also there are hints that extreme stress ages them. One of Draconus' men had nearly starved during the war and had a highly unusual, wrinkled face as a result.

The Forkrul Assail are indeed the priests, like those with Rake are mostly mages and priets too. Magic causes agelessness somehow. Might be connected to dragon blood.

Another possibility is they really came from a different world and that somehow makes one much stronger. All the ' demons' we see are terrifingly strong, even if they were peasants in their home realm.

Indeed. One Aptorian in the regular Malazan world is ridiculously powerful and dangerous. But at some point they're mentioned as having regular coastal villages in their own home realm. Same thing with... is it Lilac? From Midnight Tides. "I was a caster of nets." An unholy terror in the Malazan world, but just a regular fisherman in his own.

Additionally, there is a lot of time between the Kharkanas trilogy and when we first meet Calm and she beats the shit out of three Toblakai as her opening act. Perhaps it's like if the Seguleh or the Avowed were the only humans left after eons and eons.

All this still doesn't answer the question of what color their nipples are, either.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#9 User is offline   petete 

• Recruit

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 08 May 2016 - 05:49 PM, said:

Ah true, didn't think of it.

#10 User is offline   Adaephon Ben Delat 

• Recruit

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:41 PM

it could also be that the Forulkan then didn't have the magic gained by accessing their Warren Arkhast Korvalein but gained sorcery after K'rul's gift
when you argue with death, you always lose

#11 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 03 June 2016 - 03:48 AM

Remember in FoD Envy and Spite picked a fight with the surgeon and were getting thrown around the room by her. She was throwing them across the room into the wall with enough force to break the skulls and doing it with one hand. The Tiste a very strong physically, its just that everyone at this time are just as or more physically strong as they are. I mean in this world there is Jaghut, Forulkan, Imass, Thel Akai and Azathanai. All are power houses when it come to physical strength.

This post has been edited by Kellanved's shadow: 03 June 2016 - 03:49 AM

"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#12 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:02 PM

View PostKellanved, on 03 June 2016 - 03:48 AM, said:

Remember in FoD Envy and Spite picked a fight with the surgeon and were getting thrown around the room by her. She was throwing them across the room into the wall with enough force to break the skulls and doing it with one hand. The Tiste a very strong physically, its just that everyone at this time are just as or more physically strong as they are. I mean in this world there is Jaghut, Forulkan, Imass, Thel Akai and Azathanai. All are power houses when it come to physical strength.

This was because the Doc took some drugs.
Hard to imagine Sandalath doing this.

#13 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 04 June 2016 - 01:38 AM

In CG Sandalath is throwing statues in her rage at being the Queen of high house Dark. I don't think the drugs said that it enhanced ones strength. I think it just put them in a state that allowed them to use all the physical potential.
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#14 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:28 PM

View PostKellanved, on 04 June 2016 - 01:38 AM, said:

In CG Sandalath is throwing statues in her rage at being the Queen of high house Dark. I don't think the drugs said that it enhanced ones strength. I think it just put them in a state that allowed them to use all the physical potential.

Good point.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users