Malazan Empire: To summarize, the root cause of the conflict (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

To summarize, the root cause of the conflict (spoilers!)

#1 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

Spoilers
Draconus kills a dragon for the first time to give shape to the gate of darkness (the 'galain' dragon? - galanas), triss loses her mind from the bath in the vitr and gives the gate of light to bring 'balance', Olar ethil is jealous because draconus chose mother dark to her and begins scuttling him and his tiste, and most of the tiste are greedy and power hungry to begin with.

Is this it?

This post has been edited by Dragnipurake: 04 May 2016 - 02:33 AM

#2 User is offline   Ozymandiac 

• Captain

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:53 AM

I just finished the bookPosted Image but I've already forgotten a lot already. Is the dragon's name really Galanas? Because then I like your theory
"Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."

#3 User is offline   SiriusL 

• Canine brilliance!

Posted 06 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

Dragnipurake, on 04 May 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

Draconus kills a dragon for the first time to give shape to the gate of darkness (the 'galain' dragon? - galanas), triss loses her mind from the bath in the vitr and gives the gate of light to bring 'balance', Olar ethil is jealous because draconus chose mother dark to her and begins scuttling him and his tiste, and most of the tiste are greedy and power hungry to begin with.

Is this it?

Was Olar Ethil jealous because of Mother Dark? I thought she was mad about getting burned by the Borderswords that were with Draconus. Plus she just seems like kind of a jerk, in general. She didn't seem terribly jealous of MD in FoD.

I'll admit, that whole scene with her and Sandalath in the tower was confusing to me, and she did a lot of ranting. I may have missed something.

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

I think we know why Spite, Envy and Malice are OE's kids. She has an abundance of these characteristics.

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:12 PM

Spiteful of the Tiste for messing with her, Envious of MD and Malicious in general.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

OE is definitely jealous. I think even in FoD there's a short POV of just her after her talk with Draconus where she kinda says she had her fingers crossed behind her back, more or less, and then FoL makes it much clearer how she feels.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 July 2016 - 03:42 PM

The root of the Tiste civil war is the conflict between retired soldiers who feel they were cheated for their sacrifices and selfish nobles who want to go back to ignoring them.

On a theologic level its lax loyalty to a goddess who wants nothing vs forced loyalty to two balanced gods who expect obeisance in everything.

Then of course you have Hun Raal's family history behind both conflicts, the nobility's distaste for Draconus, Rake resisting being the leader the nobility and military wanted, Silchas being forced into the role and failing, the Shake and Deniers becoming scapegoats, Olar Ethil's grudges against Draconus, Draconus trying to manufacture a race he can live with, and the Azathanii generally fucking with everything.

Also, dragons.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Nunchucks 

• Recruit

Posted 19 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

Dragnipurake, on 04 May 2016 - 02:33 AM, said:

Spoilers

Is this it?

I am pretty sure that Draconis hires two Azanthai to get him the heart of the gate. Those two then go and kill Hoods wife, a Jaghut. This precipitates the war on death. I don't think Olar is jealous, but she does help the Lioson for reasons that I am not sure of. I suspect that the Draconis made the Tiste, as Olar gives hints that the Tiste are his children and he finally gave them a mother, when Hunn Raal forges the scepter.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users