• You cannot reply to this topic

SE essay on Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice at Tor.com

#1 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:58 PM

Linky: http://www.tor.com/2...from-under-you/

Haven't read these yet, though I own them. (And I loved the Liveship Traders trilogy.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

She may split readers, but other authors seem to universally love Hobb (in my experience), and I'm not surprised. She's as steeped in fantasy as anyone else in the genre, but her writing never ever smacks of gimmickry (and the Liveships, for instance, had so much potential to). I dunno what it is that sets her apart, but I just think her writing is somehow pulp-free (in a fairly inherently pulpy genre). I'm not knocking pulp, either, since great pulp is still great storytelling, period. She's just doing something else, somehow, and is a master at it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Khazduk 

• Sergeant
  • Interests:Instant coffee

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

One thing Hobb does masterfully (better than almost anyone else) is torment her characters. She pulls no punches. They have to live (and die) through everything that the world throws at them. And then somehow she makes them grow from it. In totally unexpected but also totally credible ways, over and over she shows how life and survival can't ever be static and truths always have to be reevaluted.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:03 PM

View PostKhazduk, on 28 April 2016 - 08:24 AM, said:

One thing Hobb does masterfully (better than almost anyone else) is torment her characters. She pulls no punches. They have to live (and die) through everything that the world throws at them. And then somehow she makes them grow from it. In totally unexpected but also totally credible ways, over and over she shows how life and survival can't ever be static and truths always have to be reevaluted.

Indeed. It's weird: at the time I read Liveship Traders, the closest comparison I could come up with was Donaldson's GAP Cycle, of all things. :)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 April 2016 - 07:17 PM

I always thought it was a bit of a shame that she chose to return to her original character. I loved the Farseer trilogy, liked the Liveship trader series well enough, but the return to Fitz in the Fool's series didn't pull me in and kind of diminished my original journey with Fitz. I havent picked up any of the other Hobb works since. But I have reread the Farseer trilogy recently and damn, it was still awesome. One of my favourite fantasy reads of all time.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Tatterdemalion 

• I sneeze warrens.
  • Interests:Fantasy, cartography, creativity, finding a readership before I'm cast aside by history, roti.
  • Currently working on my Imbalance series.
    Web: joelminty.com
    Twitter: @JoelMinty

Posted 28 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

Great write up.
I'd start Hobb but... two new Malazan Empire novels and Joe Abercrombie are calling my name. As always.
Author of Purge of Ashes.
Sayer of "And Nature shall not abide."

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:26 PM

She definitely suits a certain mood anyway, like rainy day records.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users