Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deragoth & Bloodeye

#1 User is offline   Raizen 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:40 PM

So.. I'm back to the same question I ask myself at the end of every book: how was Kurald Emurlahn shattered? I have a theory that might string together a few things. First, the following quotes:

MoI

I am Treach - one of many names. Trake, the Tiger of Summer, the Talons of War. Silent Hunter. I was there at the end, one of the few survivors once the T'lan Imass were done with us. Brutal, merciful slaughter. They had no choice - I see that now, though none of us were prepared to forgive. Not then. The wounds were too fresh.

Gods, we tore a warren to pieces on that distant continent. Turned the eastlands into molten stone that cooled and became something that defied sorcery. The T'lan Imass sacrificed thousands to cut away the cancer we had become. It was the end, the end of all that promise, all that bright glory. The end of the First Empire. Hubris, to have claimed a name that rightly belonged to the T'lan Imass.

MT

"No, my friend, with this day's victory this world lies before our feet. Here, you shall not suffer from the civil wars that plague Kurald Galain. And I and my followers shall escape the rivening that now besets Kurald Emurlahn-"

Silchas Ruin snorted. "A rivening by your own hand, Scabandari."

Now if we take these two quotes as fact, it would appear that the reason for Kurald Emurlahn's shattering is the Soletaken Ritual (Dessimbelackis becomes the Deragoth and other soletaken/D'ivers are made) in the First Empire that was somehow Scabandari Bloodeye's fault. If we skip ahead to the very beginning of The Bonehunters,
Spoiler
Is it possible that Scabandari was the driving force behind the Soletaken Ritual
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Raizen: 26 April 2016 - 04:45 PM

Wisdom was naught but cunning made grand, a weapon forged to win empty battles.

#2 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:06 PM

Who says only one warren can be torn to pieces? First empire should be far later. In fact, Scabandari's betrayal may well have happened before the T'lan Imass.

The continent Trake refers to is Seven Cities, and the eastlands are Otataral Island

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 26 April 2016 - 05:09 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#3 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 26 April 2016 - 05:20 PM

View PostRaizen, on 26 April 2016 - 04:40 PM, said:

So.. I'm back to the same question I ask myself at the end of every book: how was Kurald Emurlahn shattered? I have a theory that might string together a few things. First, the following quotes:

MoI

I am Treach - one of many names. Trake, the Tiger of Summer, the Talons of War. Silent Hunter. I was there at the end, one of the few survivors once the T'lan Imass were done with us. Brutal, merciful slaughter. They had no choice - I see that now, though none of us were prepared to forgive. Not then. The wounds were too fresh.

Gods, we tore a warren to pieces on that distant continent. Turned the eastlands into molten stone that cooled and became something that defied sorcery. The T'lan Imass sacrificed thousands to cut away the cancer we had become. It was the end, the end of all that promise, all that bright glory. The end of the First Empire. Hubris, to have claimed a name that rightly belonged to the T'lan Imass.

MT

"No, my friend, with this day's victory this world lies before our feet. Here, you shall not suffer from the civil wars that plague Kurald Galain. And I and my followers shall escape the rivening that now besets Kurald Emurlahn-"

Silchas Ruin snorted. "A rivening by your own hand, Scabandari."

Now if we take these two quotes as fact, it would appear that the reason for Kurald Emurlahn's shattering is the Soletaken Ritual (Dessimbelackis becomes the Deragoth and other soletaken/D'ivers are made) in the First Empire that was somehow Scabandari Bloodeye's fault. If we skip ahead to the very beginning of The Bonehunters,
Spoiler
Is it possible that Scabandari was the driving force behind the Soletaken Ritual
Spoiler

No, I don't think so.
If I remember correctly the K'Chain Che'Malle dominated the world before the rise of the Jaghut. The Tiste Invasion and the Civil War with the Nar'uk nealy extinguished them. I think that in the prologue of Midnight Tides Morn is also mentioned as the only settlement of the K'Chain Che Malle left.

At the time of the prologue of Memories of Ice Morn was a ruin and the one of the last Matrons was sealed inside the rent. Kilava did not know about the K'Chan Che Malle, so they were probably destroyed some thousand years ago.

The empire Trake mentioned was the first empire of the humans, not the Imass. So it should be some hundred thousand years after the Ritual of Tellann (Kallors Empire was destoyed 119,736 years before Burns Sleep. So the First Empire possibly existed before that time, but I'm not sure if this counts. But the first empire was destroyed by the T'lan Imass so this was definitly after the Ritual of Tellan.

In short: Tiste Invasion -> Ritual of Tellann -> First Empire destroyed

I don't think that the warren mentioned has to be Kurald Emurlahn. It could be a fragment, maybe the one of the whirlwind godness. And Icarium also destroyed a warren or wounded it badly.

But the mentioning of Otataral is interesting.
Spoiler

#4 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

Interesting.

Admittedly my first thought was the Lether continent, but I think it's explained how the Glass Desert came about and it was nothing to do with the sundering of Emurlahn.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users