• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished the book Spoilers

#1 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:22 AM

This was my least favourite Esslemont Book so far

I loved ROTCG, but this book I just couldn't get into. Nothing wrong per se, but it wasn't the story I wanted to read.

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2016 - 01:32 AM

What was your favorite part?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:05 PM

View PostOponn Relationship, on 15 April 2016 - 01:32 AM, said:

What was your favorite part?

Sorry, I may have been overly negative.

Basically any time Dancer was on his own doing assassiny things. I liked the core story of the siege, Protectress, and city mages, but I thought a lot of the cameos took away from the story as a whole.

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:13 PM

I get where you're coming from. Most of the cameos I was fine with, but I can see why someone might be annoyed with them. If anything, what bothered me was the Wu/Dancer stuff you mentioned. Most disappointing for me was the fact that Wu/Kell arrived pretty much fully-formed as his crazy Shadowthrone self; it would have been nice to give him a chance to grow a little more. And yeah, Dancer's quick turn from
Spoiler
seemed a little sudden. Perhaps the biggest thing that bugged me, though, was
Spoiler
That seriously had me puzzled for half the book, like, go back and reread it a number of times to see if I missed anything. (I eventually decided to give up and just roll with it.)

Minor complaints from me, though. Was it the story I wanted to read? Maybe not, but I certainly enjoyed it for what it was, and the writing was ICE's best yet.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

I dont think ICE intended to create cameos (this is what I understood from his interview). It seems more like a side effect of him trying to connect the threads across his other books.
If you think any of them are superficial, please list them as they would be good fodder for a discussion.

Regarding Wu, I found his characterization very interesting and entertaining. We can now empathize with all those other characters like Laseen and Daseem and most others, who were driven crazy by this behavior.
Regarding Dorin and Wu, I came out with the a new understanding of their relationships, perhaps they are not as close as we are prone to think.
Also I see Wu as being the victim here in the relationship, he comes out as more trusting and forgiving that Dorin and willing to to be patient so as to build the relationship.
Wu is basically semi insane and he is very comfortable with that. It is upto others to adjust to him depending on what value they see.

And I have now even more respect for QB. To beat ST at his own game, that is hard to even imagine.

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

I don't mind crazy Wu, but I do think he is gonna have to explicitly show himself as something more than that at some point for the story to work. He has to earn the loyalty he gets from a whole host of people, even if it's in little moments (and we do get those in MBOTF of course -- and here a bit too with him saving the kids).

#7 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 April 2016 - 09:56 PM

What we have here is the same argument that Nightchill and Krul had.

#8 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

Wu is aware that he can't accomplish much by himself, that he has to build a team and he is offering that opportunity to several oppressed people like the kids and Dorin who are left out of the existing power structure.
Without Wu, Dorin might just finish his life as Pung's enforcer. Wu showed him the possibility of doing much bigger things, but only as part of the team and cost of this is to trust Wu, which is very hard to do, one because he is crazy and two because he might just sacrifice you.

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:11 PM

I just think it's braver and better storytelling if there's at some point an acknowledgement by Wu that he needs his compatriots around, and not to keep him at arm's length 100% of the time. And I think ICE is up for it, so I'm not pessimistic at all that Kel will be compelling on top of everything else he is.

#10 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:03 AM

Spoiler

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 April 2016 - 03:23 AM

Part of Dorin's problem, his character arc really, is that he is this supreme assassin, but doesn't actually want to make killing people for money the purpose of his life.
Right from the start Wu presented Dorin with other options, however unclear or sketchy.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#12 User is offline   MrXIII 

• Blunt Claw
  • Interests:Vital existence

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

View PostAbyss, on 16 April 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Part of Dorin's problem, his character arc really, is that he is this supreme assassin, but doesn't actually want to make killing people for money the purpose of his life.
Right from the start Wu presented Dorin with other options, however unclear or sketchy.

Indeed. Even an unclear notion of something grander is seen as enticing,while infuriating it is clearly more appealing than plodding along with the current unfulfilling certainty. Particularly given the opening I found it easy to see how Wu would become interesting to Dorin.

#13 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 April 2016 - 05:46 PM

Being an assassin is a shitty career. Look at how Faruj and the other assassin (the other student of Faruj) ended up (not to mention all the nightblades).
Dancer avoided that fate. He quickly decided to train more students (instead of continuing with the old principle of assassins jealously guarding their knowledge). He is on his way to become Cotillion.
He created possibilities for future assassins like Ralick, to have the ability to influence and pursue their art without completely dehumanizing themselves.

#14 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 25 April 2016 - 10:54 PM

View Postnacht, on 25 April 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

Being an assassin is a shitty career. Look at how Faruj and the other assassin (the other student of Faruj) ended up (not to mention all the nightblades).
Dancer avoided that fate. He quickly decided to train more students (instead of continuing with the old principle of assassins jealously guarding their knowledge). He is on his way to become Cotillion.
He created possibilities for future assassins like Ralick, to have the ability to influence and pursue their art without completely dehumanizing themselves.

I don't really see it. His own organisation, the Talons is rather a lot like the Nightblades from all we know about it. I could see Wu piquing his interest, but I don't see them bonding to the extent of
Spoiler

#15 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:23 PM

If he really wanted to head to Unta, he would have.

#16 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:22 AM

View Postthe broken, on 25 April 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

View Postnacht, on 25 April 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

I don't really see it. His own organisation, the Talons is rather a lot like the Nightblades from all we know about it. I could see Wu piquing his interest, but I don't see them bonding to the extent of
Spoiler

Not sure we need spoiler tags, but anyway
Spoiler

#17 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Spoiler

This post has been edited by the broken: 29 April 2016 - 06:09 PM

#18 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:17 AM

Why was dorin hunting wu to begin with? Who hired him for that and why?

#19 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

Reread. I was overly negative in the OP, this is an amazing read, but Wu's constant abuse of everyone around him is still hard to stomach, he expects Dancer to always have his back but never returns the favour

Spoiler

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users