Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finisheeeeeeedddddd

#1 User is offline   Soletaken1 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Finished the Bonehunters last night, and I personally think it was the best one so far. While it did not have the smack in the face that Memories of Ice did, I felt that the Bonehunters was breathless from the start (while I think some of the other books can save all the excitement for the final third). I also think it was the funniest book by SE (can't get enough of Pust). Anyway, as is customary upon completion of a Malazan book, I have some questions:

1) This may sound silly, but what is a Shadow dance? It seems to make Apsalar (almost) invincible, but is this something that only Cotillion can do (and thus by extension Apsalar)? Otherwise why don't other assassins to do it?
2) What was Lassen's plan regarding Kalam/Pearl/Tavore? Why did she feel the need to sacrifice Tavore?
3) Was T'amber possessed by the Eres and when T'amber died the Eres assumed is normal form to stop Icarium? My memory is completely failing me: Is the Eres the dude from MT who is the first consort? Or is that some other God? (hard to keep track of them all!)
4) What happens when the Deragoth catch the Hounds of Shadow? Do they become one? Does that mean that Shadowthrone loses control over them?
5) When Rhulad is killed by someone, when he returns does he get stronger? Does he absorb the power of who killed him or something?
6) I am a little confused by the Draconian family tree on this forum. It seemsto suggest that Mael, Killy and Sister of cold nights are draconian? But in the list in MT (page 389 on my kindle), only K'rul and Draconus are mentioned as mixed bloods. Also Olar Ethil is mentioned in the uninformed age, so does he precede the Imass?
7) Are Nimander and Phaed the two unnamed Tiste Andii soletaken that attack Raest with Orfanatal/Korlat/Silannah?
8) Not related to The Bonehunters but towards the end of DG when Fid et al are in the azath they see three dragons flying in a v formation above. Have not all the eleint that are not trapped (in for example Shadown realm)gone back to Starvald (except for Silannah)?

Sorry (not sorry) for the long list of questions :)

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:07 PM

View PostSoletaken1, on 21 March 2016 - 05:55 PM, said:

Finished the Bonehunters last night, and I personally think it was the best one so far. While it did not have the smack in the face that Memories of Ice did, I felt that the Bonehunters was breathless from the start (while I think some of the other books can save all the excitement for the final third). I also think it was the funniest book by SE (can't get enough of Pust). Anyway, as is customary upon completion of a Malazan book, I have some questions:

1) This may sound silly, but what is a Shadow dance? It seems to make Apsalar (almost) invincible, but is this something that only Cotillion can do (and thus by extension Apsalar)? Otherwise why don't other assassins to do it?
2) What was Lassen's plan regarding Kalam/Pearl/Tavore? Why did she feel the need to sacrifice Tavore?
3) Was T'amber possessed by the Eres and when T'amber died the Eres assumed is normal form to stop Icarium? My memory is completely failing me: Is the Eres the dude from MT who is the first consort? Or is that some other God? (hard to keep track of them all!)
4) What happens when the Deragoth catch the Hounds of Shadow? Do they become one? Does that mean that Shadowthrone loses control over them?
5) When Rhulad is killed by someone, when he returns does he get stronger? Does he absorb the power of who killed him or something?
6) I am a little confused by the Draconian family tree on this forum. It seemsto suggest that Mael, Killy and Sister of cold nights are draconian? But in the list in MT (page 389 on my kindle), only K'rul and Draconus are mentioned as mixed bloods. Also Olar Ethil is mentioned in the uninformed age, so does he precede the Imass?
7) Are Nimander and Phaed the two unnamed Tiste Andii soletaken that attack Raest with Orfanatal/Korlat/Silannah?
8) Not related to The Bonehunters but towards the end of DG when Fid et al are in the azath they see three dragons flying in a v formation above. Have not all the eleint that are not trapped (in for example Shadown realm)gone back to Starvald (except for Silannah)?

1. Shadow Dance is a martial art that channels power, When done properly it may attract Cotillion's flavour. Dancers are rare, but Apsalar is not the only one, in HoC it was that Lostara Yil could do it
2. Laseen initially did not want to sacrifice Tavore, she wanted Tavore to sacrifice the Wickans, and join her, to Kalam she offered the Claw. She hoped that together they could take out Mallik Rel's group. Pearl was a backup in case Kalam refused
3. T'amber was possessed yes, no Eres is not the First Consort
4. Deragoth never caught them
5. More skilled, but also more crazy
6. Mael, Killy and the Sister of Cold Nights long term RAFO, but they are Elder Gods
7. Nope
8. Dragons are mysterious

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:19 PM

Removed for being a spoiler for a future book (misremembered to be in this one by me)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:21 PM

It's a martial arts based dance form of worship from a Shadow cult. What it does depends on who is doing it and who else is paying attention.

She didn't want to sacrifice Tavore, she wanted Tavore to sacrifice the Wickans to buy Laseen time to deal with Dom n Rel.

The Eres was hitching a ride on Tamber. When Tamber died she left the body.
First consort is The Errant.

Unknown as of TB, but at a guess the Deragoth regain something like a soul.

RAFO.

RAFO.
Olar Ethil is a she.
Mixed bloods are draconic soletaken.
Not all lists are accurate.

No. They were on Drift Avalii until HoC.

As of the end of TB, we don't know what those three dragon were up to.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:31 PM

1) You have met another character who shadow dances already (Lostara Yil). It was discussed a bit in House of Chains. It is somewhat of a ritual dance of the cult of Rashan, and not all those who do it are in fact assassins.

I would not assume that it is something just any assassin could do.

As with most things Malazan, RAFO for more information, but it is possible you'll never have a complete answer (or at least that the answer will keep evolving)

3) No, the Eres'al and the Errant are very very different.

She is the one sort of working behind Bottle and appearing to him in dreams. So sort of an elder goddess/spirit but associated with a power sort of separate from traditional warren magics.

5) Not as simple as absorbing power. The sword returns him to life with more skill than he had before.

6) If I were you I would not worry about that family tree too much nor read too much into it. Also everyone above the tree should be viewed more or less as an elder god, so their presence there does not necessarily make then Dragons or soletaken. Possible some might be, but don't assume. Just RAFO and roll with it.

7) No

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 21 March 2016 - 06:32 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#6 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

It's my favorite in the series too.

1) A style of fighting that looks like a dance. Most assassins have never heard of it I think. Also, it may be that one needs to be some kind of a shadow mage or something to do it.
2) ...
3) They are not the same.
4) ...
5) Don't think so. He merely has infinite chances to become a better fighter.
6) AFAIK, Olar Ethil is a she not a he. Otherwise I'd say RAFO.
7) Don't think so. The impression I got was that they have been on the island for a LONG time.
8) ...

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 21 March 2016 - 07:07 PM

#7 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:04 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

What we really all want to know is:

[Removed to reflect QT's edit - Grief]

That was not in the bonehunters, but in Reaper's Gale. I know it is in spoiler tags, but people might not expect this information here.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:28 PM

View Postkoehkont, on 21 March 2016 - 07:04 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 21 March 2016 - 06:19 PM, said:

spoiler eek!

That was not in the bonehunters, but in Reaper's Gale. I know it is in spoiler tags, but people might not expect this information here.

Son of a...you're right. My memory is shit apparently LOL. My apologies. Removing.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 21 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   Soletaken1 

• Recruit

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:45 AM

Also what happened to Oponn? I know they were on the receiving end of Obo sorcery but they did not die did they?

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 04:56 AM

View PostSoletaken1, on 22 March 2016 - 12:45 AM, said:

Also what happened to Oponn? I know they were on the receiving end of Obo sorcery but they did not die did they?

NoK predates GotM, where they were active. So they survived just fine.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Soletaken1 

• Recruit

Posted 22 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

ah good! I would have been a little bit peeved if a God had been killed off screen!

#12 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

Sorry (not sorry) for the long list of questions :nuke:

1) There are references to it in HoC as well, I believe. It's a dance of worship of shadow, that actually is a martial art. I'm not sure it's ever outright stated, but it's not exactly taught publicly available knowledge, and I think was probably lore guarded by the cult of shadow. Apsalar is extremely powerful anyway, though, due to basically being a second Dancer.
2) Laseen wants Tavore to go along with her plan and let the Wickans be sacrificed. There is fear of famine due to the loss of Seven Cities (first to war, now to plague), and so it's politically expedient to allow settlement of Wickan lands to use for agriculture. Part of this plan would involve Kalam staying and basically being turned loose on Mallick and his element within the Claw.
3) The Eres is not the first consort, but yes, T'amber was possessed.
4) Nothing, the Deragoth didn't catch them.
5) I think he just returns until the other person is worn out. He remembers how he was defeated, though, so likely it increases his fighting skill.
6) I think everyone is confused by the Draconian family tree. Including its members. I don't recall anything about Mael, Killy, and Nightchill being draconian, though.
7) No, I don't think so.
8) I'm not sure.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users