Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wooaahhhh we're halfway thereeeeeee- questions

#1 User is offline   Soletaken1 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:21 AM

I am halfway through the Bonehunters (Mappo has just been healed by Mogora-end of chapter 9) and I must say I think this might be the best book I have ever read (up to halfway anyways). However I do have a few questions which will probably be answered with RAFO but anyway:
1) Does being a high priest (or a priest for that matter)give you access to your particular Gods warren, or do you need to be a mage in order to access it?
2) Does Iskaral Pust have access to other warrens other than Shadow?
3) What is a magi of High House Shadow? I looked in the glossary and it seems to be a position in the deck of dragons, but does that carry much significance? Does having a role/position (e.g. Rake being knight of high house dark) in the deck of dragons make you an ascendant or give you powers or something?
4) Who or what is Ardata?
5) If Osserc was to die (and being the only aspect left of Serc) would the warren Serc "die"?
6) Is D'riss the warren of the Queen of dreams? Or is it the warren of the worm?
Also a note must be made that this book is the funniest "serious" book I have read in a long time. Quotes like "What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says "Don't ask". Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished".

Thanks in advance <3

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

View PostSoletaken1, on 16 March 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

I am halfway through the Bonehunters (Mappo has just been healed by Mogora-end of chapter 9) and I must say I think this might be the best book I have ever read (up to halfway anyways). However I do have a few questions which will probably be answered with RAFO but anyway:
1) Does being a high priest (or a priest for that matter)give you access to your particular Gods warren, or do you need to be a mage in order to access it?
3) What is a magi of High House Shadow? I looked in the glossary and it seems to be a position in the deck of dragons, but does that carry much significance? Does having a role/position (e.g. Rake being knight of high house dark) in the deck of dragons make you an ascendant or give you powers or something?
5) If Osserc was to die (and being the only aspect left of Serc) would the warren Serc "die"?
6) Is D'riss the warren of the Queen of dreams? Or is it the warren of the worm?
Also a note must be made that this book is the funniest "serious" book I have read in a long time. Quotes like "What's wrong with the world? You ask a man and he says "Don't ask". Ask a woman and you'll be dead of old age before she's finished".

Thanks in advance <3

1. It may
2. Iskaral Pust's exact powers are a bit of a mystery
3. The Deck of Dragons is highly context and situation specific and reflects real world events or potential events. So no the Deck itself cannot grant any powers
4. Another goddess. RAFO
5. Don't think so
6. You are confusing D'riss and T'riss I think

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 March 2016 - 11:50 AM

I think the more prudent question here would be what makes a mage? That they can channel power? Are they born with it or is it Maybelline? Some people call themselves priests or are brought up to be priests by an order, but if they do not have the gods favor or awareness, then likely they wont have any power. From what we've seen in the books I think very few priests or worshippers get any power. Mainly because it draws on the ascendant or gods power/aspect and it makes them vulnerable in a way.

Then again we have seen that worshippers can force and manipulate a god whether the god likes it or not.

Maybe the warren of monkey business.

From what we've seen, all Kings and Queens in the Houses have been ascendant or something similar to it but various positions have over time been held by mortal beings. The Undead Seguleh for example, is not an ascendant as far as we know.

What the individual positions signify is hard to tell. Some roles are given to a servant or freelancer. Like being an avatar of the warren or god. Other roles seem to simply be filled out in a time of need, as though the Deck of Dragons and by proxy the individual warrens are somehow cognizant of a need.

Somebody old. You heard the name in MoI as well. Read and find out.

No. Osserc was not always called Osserc. Serc was not always a House Warren. As far as we know, none of the individual warrens are connected to the existence of the Ascendants that rule them. Now if you were to talk about K'rul or Burn on the other hand, that would be different but we don't really know how that mumbo jumbo works.

D'riss is the warren of stone if I recall correctly. D'reks warren is probably a personal one connected to stone and earth and death and being moist.

This post has been edited by Apt: 16 March 2016 - 11:53 AM

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:43 PM

It can, at the whim of the god.

No need to be a mage, but it helps.

As of TB, you may have noticed certain links or overlap between Meanas, Rashan, Thyr and Mokra. A sufficiently skilled mage or favored priest involved with one of those might have access to more than one.

A position in a House and a designation in a Deck reading are not the same thing.

They can be the same person, but not necessarily.

The Deck identifies influences and possible paths, and can attract attention, but it doesn`t hand out powers. Expect possibly to the Master of the Deck.

RAFO

Unknown. More likely it would be vulnerable to someone else taking control of it.

D`riss is stone. D`rek is rot. T`riss is the Queen of Dreams.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Soletaken1 

• Recruit

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:40 PM

ok thanks for the replies guys <3

#6 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 19 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Thanks in advance <3

1. Sometimes. Iskaral Pust's abilities are not exactly clear... much like shadow.
2. See above.
3. A position within the house. It can be important to the house or not.
4. A deity.
5. I doubt it.
6. No.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users