Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How I arrived in Malazan Empire!

#1 User is offline   Jimmyboiii 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

G'day there you Savvy people! Jimmy/Jimbo/Jim/James/Jimima, feel free to call me whichever you want!

Thought I'd introduce myself to you all with how I found myself unable to put down this fearfully addictive series.

I hail from Sydney, Australia. I live about 5 minutes from the beach and have done my whole life. Every summer would be spent in the water and every winter spent on the footy field (Rugby League).
Now, around these 2 environments, books are pretty non existant. Obviously I went to school, but obviously I was never going to sit in an office all day ( I'm a tradie) so school was just kind of the place where you hung out with mates.

After School, I went on to become a tradie. I'm 25 now and ended up quitting football last year, almost 20 years of playing the sport yeilded me 5 grandfinal appearances, 5 grandfinal losses, 3 broken jaws, a shattered collar bone and numerous concussions. Add on all the weekends of disgusting drunkeness and well, pretty much a human being not made out for activities of the brain.

All in all, 24 years, 0 books read, unkown brain cells lost.

Anyway Game of Thrones sweeps the world, I'm hooked and ever emotional watching my favourite lads get the axe non fucking stop, anyway I ended up reading somewhere the books were alot different. This was roughly the start of last year. I plowed through those bad boys in a few months, it was more something to do in between doing other things. After that I slaughtered the Kingkiller Chronicles, fuck that's a top read. Then I wen't for what seemed like the biggest series on the world, The Wheel of Time. I know alot of people have there problems with it, I honestly couldn't get enough, Matts a legend.

So after knocking that puppy over, I ended up with Gardens of the moon.

I'm only up to "the bonehunters" but I seriously feel like this series is the pinnicle of difficulty when it comes to reading. GotM actually gave me headaches, I honestly thought about trading it in for a where's Wally or something.Either way, I got through it. and at bonehunters I am. I still don't even get half of it, probably more, but I am frothing on what I do get. Half of those words are just sounds coming out of my mouth, I have no idea what they mean.

Either way, this intro is an absolute Novel in itself and by far the most I've ever written on a forum. Also now I'm reading it and it doesn't seem anywhere near as funny as I find it in my own head. Ohwell, enjoy it lads!
Cheers!

#2 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:03 PM

Good to have you here man, always nice to share the love for these books! I'd strongly suggest reading Forge of Darkness after reading the main series, I loved that one. (Publication order is always a save order to read them by the way.) Enjoy the forum!

#3 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 06 March 2016 - 08:37 PM

Love your intro, Jimmy/Jimbo/Jim/James/Jimima... ahm... Jim :D

If you made it to Bonehunters you are in it for the long haul, I'd say. Enjoy the jaw-dropping ride!

By the way - I found the first re-read even better than the original read and it totally sold me on GotM as a brilliant book - so there is literally no end in sight of Malazan pleasure!

#4 User is offline   Jimmyboiii 

• Recruit

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:59 AM

Avatar - Yeah I'll be all over them if it's anything to do with the malazan series. But I'm hearing ya mate, it's especially good when not one person you know besides your nan reads books ha!

Egwene - Yup, always an A for effor! ha!

Oh there's absolutely no doubt what so ever that i'll be ravaging every single book. I've got the next 2 already, so hard not to peak.

Ah but there in lies my problem, I havnt been able to re read anything I've read thus far, I get bored so quickly. I hope I can get through at least Gardens but!

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:15 AM

He was a Jimmyboiii, she said you're a ninny boiii, he wasn't good enough for her. Now he's a superman, reading his Malazan, does your pretty face see what he's worth?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

Hello Jasmine, just dropping in to advise you you should be careful with that

View PostEgwene, on 06 March 2016 - 08:37 PM, said:

jaw-dropping

This post has been edited by Itwas Nom: 07 March 2016 - 07:49 AM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#7 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

View PostJimmyboiii, on 06 March 2016 - 04:43 PM, said:

G'day there you Savvy people! Jimmy/Jimbo/Jim/James/Jimima, feel free to call me whichever you want!

Thought I'd introduce myself to you all with how I found myself unable to put down this fearfully addictive series.

I hail from Sydney, Australia. I live about 5 minutes from the beach and have done my whole life. Every summer would be spent in the water and every winter spent on the footy field (Rugby League).
Now, around these 2 environments, books are pretty non existant. Obviously I went to school, but obviously I was never going to sit in an office all day ( I'm a tradie) so school was just kind of the place where you hung out with mates.

After School, I went on to become a tradie. I'm 25 now and ended up quitting football last year, almost 20 years of playing the sport yeilded me 5 grandfinal appearances, 5 grandfinal losses, 3 broken jaws, a shattered collar bone and numerous concussions. Add on all the weekends of disgusting drunkeness and well, pretty much a human being not made out for activities of the brain.

All in all, 24 years, 0 books read, unkown brain cells lost.

Anyway Game of Thrones sweeps the world, I'm hooked and ever emotional watching my favourite lads get the axe non fucking stop, anyway I ended up reading somewhere the books were alot different. This was roughly the start of last year. I plowed through those bad boys in a few months, it was more something to do in between doing other things. After that I slaughtered the Kingkiller Chronicles, fuck that's a top read. Then I wen't for what seemed like the biggest series on the world, The Wheel of Time. I know alot of people have there problems with it, I honestly couldn't get enough, Matts a legend.

So after knocking that puppy over, I ended up with Gardens of the moon.

I'm only up to "the bonehunters" but I seriously feel like this series is the pinnicle of difficulty when it comes to reading. GotM actually gave me headaches, I honestly thought about trading it in for a where's Wally or something.Either way, I got through it. and at bonehunters I am. I still don't even get half of it, probably more, but I am frothing on what I do get. Half of those words are just sounds coming out of my mouth, I have no idea what they mean.

Either way, this intro is an absolute Novel in itself and by far the most I've ever written on a forum. Also now I'm reading it and it doesn't seem anywhere near as funny as I find it in my own head. Ohwell, enjoy it lads!
Cheers!

Welcome, you've had an awesome year :D. WOT, ASOIAF and Malazan are my top three book series of all time. After Malazan (And all the sequels & prequels) I'd recommend trying The Stormlight Archives, The First Law, and The Second Apocalypse (Prince of Nothing, The Aspect Emperor). Of course you can also try the classics like LotR and Harry Potter (Can this be described as a classic?). They are popular for a reason although I wouldn't rank either as high as many people tend to do as, like I already said, WOT, ASOIAF and MBF are my top three of all time.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 08 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users