Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished- questions (obviously)

#1 User is offline   Soletaken1 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

So I just finished and I loved it! I enjoyed the different direction the series went, and I loved the way SE tied DG and HoC together

Anyway, question time...
1) How is Karsa so powerful? He beats the crap out of Tiste Edur, the Hounds, Tlan Imass and scores of other people. But he is not a mage, not a soletaken- where does his power come from? What makes him so bad ass?
2)The Tiste Liosian say that Olar Ethil is responsible for intruding into their warren- is this a thread that comes to fruition or is it just a passing comment?
3)Can Kalam use magic? I thought the claw by definition used magic, but there was a comment that suggested that Kalam could not use magic.
4) About to start reading Midnight Tides- does this book pick up from Memories of Ice?
5) Do we find out more about the imprisonment of Calm?
6)Is Traveller Dassem? I could not think of who else he could be.

Probably will have other questions but this is what I could think of at the moment :p

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:09 PM

Most of your questions are RAFO. Maybe someone will want to tackle the Karsa question more in-depth, but you know as much as anyone did at this point in the story.

I will tell you Midnight Tides is not a direct follow-up to the 7 Cities or the Genebackis stories so far. It's the start of the third and final leg of this tripod. So you're gonna have to get used to mostly new people and concepts one more time.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:19 AM

View PostSoletaken1, on 26 February 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

So I just finished and I loved it! I enjoyed the different direction the series went, and I loved the way SE tied DG and HoC together

Anyway, question time...
1) How is Karsa so powerful? He beats the crap out of Tiste Edur, the Hounds, Tlan Imass and scores of other people. But he is not a mage, not a soletaken- where does his power come from? What makes him so bad ass?
2)The Tiste Liosian say that Olar Ethil is responsible for intruding into their warren- is this a thread that comes to fruition or is it just a passing comment?
3)Can Kalam use magic? I thought the claw by definition used magic, but there was a comment that suggested that Kalam could not use magic.
4) About to start reading Midnight Tides- does this book pick up from Memories of Ice?
5) Do we find out more about the imprisonment of Calm?
6)Is Traveller Dassem? I could not think of who else he could be.

Probably will have other questions but this is what I could think of at the moment :p

1) Well, for one he's a Toblakai, of which there aren't very many left in the world, so very few know how to fight them. He also has unusual strength of will, which is something that does kinda matter. For all of his badassery, though, he does get his ass handed to him early on in the book due to his overconfidence and underestimation of his opponents. By the end of the book, he has learned a thing or two.
2. Well, she did kinda fly through it without permission, which the Liosan don't like.
3. Not all Claws are mages. Lots are, because magic helps in killing people quite a bit, but it's not required. There's another very potent claw who is completely non-magical as well.
4. No, it starts the third and final "setting" of the main series. It picks up from where HoC left off, with Trull starting to tell his story (though of course it doesn't entirely fit into this narrative technique).
5. RAFO Though, given her malevolence and power (she easily throws three toblakai around, without even bothering to try figuring out if they were hostile), you can see why people may have wanted to imprison her.
6. RAFO who Traveller is
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#4 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:06 PM

All questions answered but I would like to add that Karsa has a connection with blood oil that grants him a great advantage against certain type of people.

Regards
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users