Malazan Empire: Any point in reading Unfinished Tales of Tolkien after History of Middle Earth? - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Any point in reading Unfinished Tales of Tolkien after History of Middle Earth?

#1 User is offline   TheWhiteWalker 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading fantasy and science fiction, and watching TV and movies.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:10 AM

I already own all 12 books of History of Middle Earth. So, is there any point in me buying Unfinished Tales now, or are all of its contents already contained by History of Middle Earth?

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 February 2016 - 06:16 AM

Unfinished Tales is only for completists.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

Haven't read History so couldn't say. Unfinished Tales has The Mariner's Wife (a Numenorean tale which is pretty awesome), a different version of Galadriel and the tale of how Gandalf met Thorin and started the quest for Erebor, and then some other bits and pieces like a little about the blue wizards - there's more but those are the major bits I remember.
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:50 PM

It's mostly going to be stuff you've read before, but tweaked or untweaked. I found lots of it I'd read in other volumes, but the versions are slightly different.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:18 AM

View PostTheWhiteWalker, on 14 February 2016 - 06:10 AM, said:

I already own all 12 books of History of Middle Earth. So, is there any point in me buying Unfinished Tales now, or are all of its contents already contained by History of Middle Earth?

I found it kind of incomplete.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Kruppe's snacky cakes 

• First Sword

Posted 20 March 2016 - 09:22 PM

IMO, Unfinished Tales is the most interesting of the LOTR supplements. It's basically an entire volume equivalent to the appendices. Expanded canon, rather than simply being notes and commentary on the evolution of the storyline. Additional information on Numenor, the Istari, the Nazgul, etc., and deleted scenes, if you will. It's not just a shorter rehash of History.
I'm George. George McFly. I'm your density. I mean...your destiny.

#7 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 02 April 2016 - 08:44 AM

Huh? Unfinished Tales is the fourth (and final) part of the actual Middle-earth canon, although the least of the four books (after The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion). To my knowledge, the only drafts and alternate versions of the stories in UT are in UT itself; the History series concerns itself solely with drafts of The Silmarillion and LotR. So yes, for a full picture of Middle-earth UT is essential reading. The stories are mostly new (the Turin and Tuor stories are in The Silmarillion but the UT versions are massively expanded, and are not in the History series), they mostly have endings (sometimes delivered through Christopher Tolkien's editorials though) and they're pretty damn good.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users