• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What to read now?

#1 User is offline   MrNovak 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

Hello Everyone!

I just finished reading all of the works set in the Malazan world, and I'm woefully short of ideas on where to go next. I've been a huge fantasy fan since I was a kid reading Brooks, Eddings, Jordan, and Goodkind, but tend to reread past favorites as opposed to casting a wide net to find something new. What are some other epic fantasy or science fiction that I simply have to try? Thanks in advance!

Favorites:
- Steven Erikson/ICE
- GRRM
- Rothfuss's "Kingkiller" books
- Sanderson's "Stormlight Archives"
- Robert Jordan (read WOT so many times since I was a kid that I refuse to view it any other way but highly positively)

P.S. I haven't yet read Abercrombie's "First Law Trilogy" and have heard a lot of good things about it, as well as the Hyperion Cantos series. This would be the direction I'd likely move in if left to my own devices, but which one, and are they as great as some claim?

#2 User is offline   MrNovak 

• Recruit

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

Also, let me be the first to acknowledge that I fully realize that it may be perceived as annoying for a new member to immediately ask a question that is likely a topic of frequent conversation here. I registered today after ghosting for years reading others topics, and would ordinarily simply browse old threads to find what I'm looking for. The problem I'm running into though is that all the threads that seem promising and helpful for this topic are super long (17,000 replies!), and I'm pretty sure that even if I invested the time necessary to really read through them, I would still miss some hidden gems. Just figured it may be helpful for other new members wandering in, to have a more easily managed thread with condensed suggestions. Thanks for understanding.

#3 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

There are two choices here;

Second Apocalypse by Bakker (which is shit but some people like it - kind of like Jordan)
and
Black Company by Glen Cook, which kind of doesn't have a lot of action, which some people don't like.

You've already read the 'whos who' of Epic Fantasy.

If you want other recommendations on good stuff to read, there are a ton of threads all over that I'm sure someone will direct you to.

For Epic Sci-Fi, there isn't a lot, but Wolfe's Torturer stuff is generally very well received, I've started reading the James S. A. Corey stuff, but its got space zombies so I'm pretty meh about it.

If you just want really good sci-fi that doesn't have to be epic, there is a lot out there but the master is Iain M Banks.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#4 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:27 PM

View PostObdigore, on 25 January 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

Second Apocalypse by Bakker (which is shit but some people like it - kind of like Jordan)

:D Jordan is a genius. Bakker is somewhere in between a genius and an average Joe. He has one of the most interesting histories and worlds in all of fantasy (Only equaled by WOT and Malazan IMO), but his characters and plot are IMO somewhat weak. The plot is what annoys me the most as it's pretty predictable. By the end of book 1 I could roughly guess everything that would happen in books 2 and 3. By the end of book 3 I already knew what would happen in books 4-6. Overall, I'd recommend that you at least try it. It's not my favorite series of all time, but I still found it to be pretty good. I still enjoy reading the Wiki about all the battles and wars fought in the ancient history (This is actually something that I find funny about the series: the histories are far more interesting than anything happening in the present day).

The First Law: Closest anything has ever come to ASOIAF in terms of style IMO. Has a somewhat similar, low-magic world with quite a bit of detail (Not as much as ASOIAF or the series mentioned above), great characters (On average Abercombie writes probably the best characters in all of fantasy), and a pretty good plot. Competes, although it will probably eventually lose, with The Stormlight Archives for #4 on my "Best Fantasy Series of All Time" list.

#5 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:32 PM

Here's my reply to a pretty similar inquiry on the ASOIAF forums (OP has already read most of these, but there're bound to be people who haven't):

(In order of my preference)

Wheel of Time: This one has loads of magic in it and some violence but not anywhere near as much as in ASOIAF (Wouldn't call it gridmark), however otherwise it has many similarities with ASOIAF. Both series have really complex and long plots, both series are really long (ASOIAF 5 890 pages, WOT 14 600 pages), both series have loads of named characters (ASOIAF 2 303, WOT 2 782), both series have extremely detailed worlds... Oh, and this one is also finished.

Stormlight Archive: This one again has loads of magic in it and again some violence but not anywhere near as much as in ASOIAF (Wouldn't call it gridmark either). Slightly smaller in scope than ASOIAF and a slightly less detailed world (At the moment that is, there are only 2 out of 10 planned books out at the moment). When ready this one will be really long too, possibly even longer than WOT. Has some of the best characters in fantasy, and is tied with Malazan Book of the Fallen for the best action scenes I've ever read anywhere.

Kingkiller Chronicles: Really good characterization although there is only one POV so it's to be expected. The plot and the world are decent, but nothing spectacular.

The Second Apocalypse: Tied with WOT, ASOIAF and Malazan for the most interesting and detailed fantasy world. Lots of magic and violence (Definitely gridmark). Somewhat predictable, unfortunately. The quality of action scenes varies somewhat, but at his best Bakker is very much equal with Erikson (Malazan Book of the Fallen) and Sanderson (Stormlight Archives).

Did some edits after realizing that having Malazan on a recommended reading list posted on the Malazan forums was pretty retarded :D

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 25 January 2016 - 09:34 PM

#6 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:37 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 25 January 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 25 January 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

:D Jordan is a genius. Bakker is somewhere in between a genius and an average Joe. He has one of the most interesting histories and worlds in all of fantasy (Only equaled by WOT and Malazan IMO), but his characters and plot are IMO somewhat weak. The plot is what annoys me the most as it's pretty predictable. By the end of book 1 I could roughly guess everything that would happen in books 2 and 3. By the end of book 3 I already knew what would happen in books 4-6. Overall, I'd recommend that you at least try it. It's not my favorite series of all time, but I still found it to be pretty good. I still enjoy reading the Wiki about all the battles and wars fought in the ancient history (This is actually something that I find funny about the series: the histories are far more interesting than anything happening in the present day).

The First Law: Closest anything has ever come to ASOIAF in terms of style IMO. Has a somewhat similar, low-magic world with quite a bit of detail (Not as much as ASOIAF or the series mentioned above), great characters (On average Abercombie writes probably the best characters in all of fantasy), and a pretty good plot. Competes, although it will probably eventually lose, with The Stormlight Archives for #4 on my "Best Fantasy Series of All Time" list.

Genius? Nah. You can watch him write one book, then a trilogy, then get fucking lost when he got handed a big check and he tried to make it go for 27 books. He also had massive issues with women and some other stuff.

OP has already read Jordan though. First Law, while I enjoy it, isn't an 'epic fantasy' series, as we know them today, its very much a trilogy and some other books in the same world.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:38 PM

There are multiple "suggestion" threads that are only 4-5 pages long. The 17000 replies threads are 2- Reading at 't moment (which is discussion of "current" things mostly, and "the book I bought today is", which is similarly, not about recommendations.

* / grumpy old-timer rant*

In terms of "epic" series, there's lots. it would help if you narrowed down the kind of thing you're looking for (Erickson and GRRM are both big on black and grey. Jordan and Sanderson are more "traditional")

In terms of sci-fi, I'll throw out Hamilton- Night's Dawn trilo is fantastically "epic", and the Commonwealth books are entertaining as well. Neal Asher's Cormac novels are great "Hard" epic sci-fi a well. Maybe also "Revelation Space" books by Alistair Reynolds. The original Dune fits the bill.

For "epic fantasy", you can get 10-15 people rattle off lists of their favourites, but then you'd probably get swamped. Try to narrow it down: are you looking for long series or a trilogy? Traditional fantasy or something more original? What's more important to you- good characters or deep world-building? Are you looking for non-stop action, or did you like Erikson's multi-page philosophical asides about this that and the other?
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#8 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:10 PM

Instead of going for a straight Sci-fi or epic medieval fantasy choice, take the third option: try China Mieville. Expand your mind with the gateway drug to all that is weird and wonderful about the whole wide genre.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#9 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:19 PM

Have you thought about giving up reading all together?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#10 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:28 PM

View Postworry, on 25 January 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

Have you thought about giving up reading all together?

Always giving such good advice and ideas :D

#11 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:34 PM

View PostObdigore, on 25 January 2016 - 09:37 PM, said:

Genius? Nah. You can watch him write one book, then a trilogy, then get fucking lost when he got handed a big check and he tried to make it go for 27 books. He also had massive issues with women and some other stuff.

Oh come on, WOT was never meant to be one book! :D IIRC it was meant to be a trilogy, but Jordan was given a six book deal right away... and then it got stretched out to 14. :p Combine books 8 and 9, 10 and 11 and you'd have what could well be an even better series. And yes, the women vs men stuff gets annoying occasionally, but there was little enough of it not to bother me really.

#12 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

Here's my list from the next page:

BEST SPACE OPERA SERIES

Alastair Reynolds - Poseidon’s Children

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space cycle

Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos

Frank Herbert - Dune series

Iain M. Banks - Culture

Stephen Donaldson - the Gap Cycle

Cixin Liu - Three Body

James S. A. Corey - The Expanse

Pierce Brown - Red Rising

Anne Leckie - Imperial Radch

Rachel Bach - Paradox series

BEST SCIENCE FICTION

Richard K. Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs

- Thirte3n

Peter Watts - Blindsight

- Rifters trilogy

Hannu Rajaniemi - Jean Le Flambeur

William Gibson - Neuromancer

Tad Williams - Otherland

Daniel Saurez - Daemon

Gene Wolf - Book of the New Sun

G. Willow Wilson - Alif, the Unseen

Claire North - the First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (mixed genre)

China Mieville - Bas-Lag

Nick Harkaway - the Gone-Away World

Felix Gilman - Thunderer/Gears duology

K.J. Bishop - the Etched City

Chris Wooding - Tales of the Ketty Jay

R. S. Belcher - Golgotha (Six-gun Tarot)

Lauren Buekes - Zoo City

Jeff Vandermeer - Ambergris series

Robert J. Bennett - the Troupe

- American Elsewhere

David Wong - John Dies at the End duology

Ian Tregellis - Milkweed Triptych

Neil Gaiman - American Gods

- Neverwhere

- Anansi’s Boys

Scott Hawkins - the Library at Mount Char

URBAN FANTASY

Kate Griffin - Matthew Swift

Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant

Mike Carey - Felix Castor

R. S. Belcher - Nightwise

Jim Butcher - Dresden

Charles Stross - Laundry Files

Glenn Cook - Garrett P.I.

Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos

Tad Williams - Bobby Dollar

BEST FANTASTY SERIES

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire

Matthew Stover - Acts of Caine

Joe Abercrombie - First Law

Mark Lawrence - Broken Empire

Richard K. Morgan - A Land Fit for Heroes

Scott R. Bakker - Prince of Nothing

Scott Lynch - Gentlemen Bastards

Patrick Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicles

N.K. Jemisin - Inheritance

C.S. Friedman - Coldfire Trilogy

Miles Cameron - Traitor Son

Brian Stavenley - the Unhewn Throne

Robrt J. Bernnett - City of Stairs

Sebastian De Castell - Greatcoats

Daniel Abraham - Long Price Quartet

- Dagger and Coin

Barry Hugart - the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox

Terry Pratchett - Discworld

BEST FANTASY STAND ALONE

Mary Gentle - Ash: A Secrtet History

Brian Ruckley - the Free

K.J. Parker - Sharps

Guy Gavriel Kay - the Lions of Al’Rassan

- Last Light of the Sun

Helen Wecker - the Golem and the Jinni

Dyachenkoes - the Scar

Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus

Pratchett/Gaiman - Good Omens

This post has been edited by Baco Xtath: 26 January 2016 - 07:28 PM

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#13 User is offline   spartan301 

• Recruit
  • Interests:meet me and find out :)

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:15 AM

I didn't go through and read EVERY suggestion though one trilogy that i really like and a lot of people i know haven't read is the night angel series by brent weeks. It's a fantasy series about magic wielding assassins basically but it is a really awesome ride if you'd like to read it.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:24 AM

View PostBaco Xtath, on 26 January 2016 - 12:15 AM, said:

Here's my list from the next page:

BEST SPACE OPERA SERIES

Alastair Reynolds - Poseidon’s Children

Alastair Reynolds - Revelation Space cycle

Dan Simmons - Hyperion Cantos

Frank Herbert - Dune series

Iain M. Banks - Culture

Stephen Donaldson - the Gap Cycle

Cixin Liu - Three Body

James S. A. Corey - The Expanse

Anne Leckie - Imperial Radch

Rachel Bach - Paradox series

BEST SCIENCE FICTION

Richard K. Morgan - Takeshi Kovacs

- Thirte3n

Peter Watts - Blindsight

- Rifters trilogy

Hannu Rajaniemi - Jean Le Flambeur

William Gibson - Neuromancer

Tad Williams - Otherland

Daniel Saurez - Daemon

Gene Wolf - Book of the New Sun

G. Willow Wilson - Alif, the Unseen

Claire North - the First Fifteen Lives of Harry August

BEST SPECULATIVE FICTION (mixed genre)

China Mieville - Bas-Lag

Nick Harkaway - the Gone-Away World

Felix Gilman - Thunderer/Gears duology

K.J. Bishop - the Etched City

Chris Wooding - Tales of the Ketty Jay

R. S. Belcher - Golgotha (Six-gun Tarot)

Lauren Buekes - Zoo City

Jeff Vandermeer - Ambergris series

Robert J. Bennett - the Troupe

- American Elsewhere

David Wong - John Dies at the End duology

Ian Tregellis - Milkweed Triptych

Neil Gaiman - American Gods

- Neverwhere

- Anansi’s Boys

Scott Hawkins - the Library at Mount Char

URBAN FANTASY

Kate Griffin - Matthew Swift

Ben Aaronovitch - Peter Grant

Mike Carey - Felix Castor

R. S. Belcher - Nightwise

Jim Butcher - Dresden

Charles Stross - Laundry Files

Glenn Cook - Garrett P.I.

Steven Brust - Vlad Taltos

Tad Williams - Bobby Dollar

BEST FANTASTY SERIES

Steven Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen

George R.R. Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire

Matthew Stover - Acts of Caine

Joe Abercrombie - First Law

Mark Lawrence - Broken Empire

Richard K. Morgan - A Land Fit for Heroes

Scott R. Bakker - Prince of Nothing

Scott Lynch - Gentlemen Bastards

Patrick Rothfuss - Kingkiller Chronicles

N.K. Jemisin - Inheritance

C.S. Friedman - Coldfire Trilogy

Miles Cameron - Traitor Son

Brian Stavenley - the Unhewn Throne

Robrt J. Bernnett - City of Stairs

Sebastian De Castell - Greatcoats

Daniel Abraham - Long Price Quartet

- Dagger and Coin

Barry Hugart - the Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox

Terry Pratchett - Discworld

BEST FANTASY STAND ALONE

Mary Gentle - Ash: A Secrtet History

Brian Ruckley - the Free

K.J. Parker - Sharps

Guy Gavriel Kay - the Lions of Al’Rassan

- Last Light of the Sun

Helen Wecker - the Golem and the Jinni

Dyachenkoes - the Scar

Erin Morgenstern - The Night Circus

Pratchett/Gaiman - Good Omens

Baco has here effectively summarized 99% of most of the what to read threads that have graced this forum recently. Nice work sir.
I'll second the ACTS OF CAINE series by Matt Stover because it's insane and awesome and tends to go unnoticed but is wholly and massively worth your dollars, time and eyeballs.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 January 2016 - 07:10 AM

I heard that Maark Abbott guy is pretty good and not a douche at all
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#16 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Baco, excellent summary!

I would classify Brusts Taltos novels as fantasy, instead of urban fantasy as Dragerea (sp?) is in a more Renaissance period.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#17 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 26 January 2016 - 01:28 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 25 January 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Oh come on, WOT was never meant to be one book! :D IIRC it was meant to be a trilogy, but Jordan was given a six book deal right away... and then it got stretched out to 14. :p Combine books 8 and 9, 10 and 11 and you'd have what could well be an even better series. And yes, the women vs men stuff gets annoying occasionally, but there was little enough of it not to bother me really.

Horseshit. The end of Eye of the World is a satisfying ending to a stand alone. Then he has to add two more, and claiming the Sword is a satisfying ending to a trilogy. Then he gets his check to write another 50 books and he gets absolutely lost in making women run around camps naked and get spanked when they are bad.

#18 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:06 PM

I'm shocked BK hasn't thrown out Shadows of the Apt and Codex Alera on this thread yet. So appalled am I that I'll do it myself.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#19 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

View PostObdigore, on 26 January 2016 - 01:28 PM, said:

View PostEsa1996, on 25 January 2016 - 11:34 PM, said:

Horseshit. The end of Eye of the World is a satisfying ending to a stand alone. Then he has to add two more, and claiming the Sword is a satisfying ending to a trilogy. Then he gets his check to write another 50 books and he gets absolutely lost in making women run around camps naked and get spanked when they are bad.

Wouldn't you want to spank them if they've been naughty girls? Myself, I'd probably say a 720c to the face (especially Faile) but that's by the by.

In seriousness I was happy to go through WOT's slower moments purely for the last book. The pace was relentless.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#20 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

WOT is the only book series that I bought and read ALL the books (minus the one that Illy gave me the gist of so I would not have to suffer through it) and sold afterwards in its entirety deciding that A. I would never desire to re-read it, and B. it was too long and convoluted with a dissatisfying ending for it to have been held up as what it was. Basically I was really disappointed I'd spent that much time and money to get what I got in the end.

I'm with Baco's recco list, most of that is great.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 January 2016 - 03:16 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users