• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished Deadhouse Gates last night! My thoughts and some questions

#1 User is offline   ParallelReality 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hey all,

Last night, I finished Deadhouse Gates just under one month from when I started. Wow, what a ride! My initial reaction was "Duiker nooooooooooooooooooooo." (Though I have an inkling suspicion we haven't seen the last of him").

Suffice to say, I think brutal is a word which describes the fall of the Chain of Dogs. I had a feeling it wasn't going to end so well for them, but what actually happened was way worse than I though, and completely soul-destroying.
When I read Gardens of the Moon I enjoyed the confusion and generally insane and badass events that were happening around the characters. There were also some pretty awesome characters.
Deadhouse Gates, on the other hand, I actually had a strong emotional reaction to. There were several moments where I felt sick, devastated, and my eyes may have welled up a little bit (shhh!).
The Chain of Dogs was an extremely powerful story and I have to say completely delivered, and was a lot more intense than I expected. I'm a fan of that kind of story for sure.

I did find parts of Deadhouse Gates lacking at times, however. I found Kalam's story boring for the most part until the arrival to Malaz City, and there was just a little bit too much wandering around a desert for my taste :p
Felisin's story was tragic, and though I did find her frustrating at times I found her story pretty compelling by the end, if a little short on answers (I know, this is Malazan). Wasn't a huge fan of Fiddler's storyline.
I loved Icarium and Mappo's story though, and am interested to see where it goes from here.

Overall I enjoyed the book, I found parts a bit slow at times, especially at the beginning, but was left quite satisfied by the end, if not a little bit emotionally devastated.
Definitely a big improvement in pacing and focus over GotM, as well as characterization and emotional impact.
Oh and Iskaral Pust is a funny dude.

On to Memories of Ice!

Some questions/clarifications:
1. Mappo and Icarium didn't actually find the Path of Hands, right? That was where Iskaral Pust was at the end?
2. Was there anything in the story causing Felisin to become Sha'ik, or did it literally happen when they entered Raraku?
3. What was Shadowthrone's reasoning for the gifts at the end?
4. Speaking of Shadowthrone, how exactly does this whole Ascension thing work? If Kallanved ascended instead of dying around the time Laseen took over, then Shadowthrone and Cotillion would only have existed for approximately 10 years. But then the Hounds are supposed to be ancient, and how did they get in league with Shadowthrone, is there something I'm missing here?
5. I must have been tired when I read the Epilogue, because I did not pick up the significance of what was happening here at all :/

Would appreciate any help :D

This post has been edited by ParallelReality: 25 January 2016 - 09:00 AM

#2 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostParallelReality, on 25 January 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

1. Mappo and Icarium didn't actually find the Path of Hands, right? That was where Iskaral Pust was at the end?
2. Was there anything in the story causing Felisin to become Sha'ik, or did it literally happen when they entered Raraku?
4. Speaking of Shadowthrone, how exactly does this whole Ascension thing work? If Kallanved ascended instead of dying around the time Laseen took over, then Shadowthrone and Cotillion would only have existed for approximately 10 years. But then the Hounds are supposed to be ancient, and how did they get in league with Shadowthrone, is there something I'm missing here?
5. I must have been tired when I read the Epilogue, because I did not pick up the significance of what was happening here at all :/

1. Pretty much what you said.
2. RAFO
3. No idea. RAFO?
4. RAFO

#3 User is offline   koehkont 

• Sergeant

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

1. Indeed
2. RAFO
3. Maybe he likes people being in his debt? And the ways of Shadowthrone are mysterious as always.
4. RAFO
5. Try combining the history of Sormo and the fall of Coltaine. You should be able to puzzle it out then

#4 User is offline   TheWhiteWalker 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading fantasy and science fiction, and watching TV and movies.

Posted 25 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

Didn't Mappo or Icarium mention that Iskaral's temple could be/was the Path of Hands?

#5 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:18 PM

View PostParallelReality, on 25 January 2016 - 08:59 AM, said:

Hey all,

Last night, I finished Deadhouse Gates just under one month from when I started. Wow, what a ride! My initial reaction was "Duiker nooooooooooooooooooooo." (Though I have an inkling suspicion we haven't seen the last of him").

Suffice to say, I think brutal is a word which describes the fall of the Chain of Dogs. I had a feeling it wasn't going to end so well for them, but what actually happened was way worse than I though, and completely soul-destroying.
When I read Gardens of the Moon I enjoyed the confusion and generally insane and badass events that were happening around the characters. There were also some pretty awesome characters.
Deadhouse Gates, on the other hand, I actually had a strong emotional reaction to. There were several moments where I felt sick, devastated, and my eyes may have welled up a little bit (shhh!).
The Chain of Dogs was an extremely powerful story and I have to say completely delivered, and was a lot more intense than I expected. I'm a fan of that kind of story for sure.

I did find parts of Deadhouse Gates lacking at times, however. I found Kalam's story boring for the most part until the arrival to Malaz City, and there was just a little bit too much wandering around a desert for my taste :p
Felisin's story was tragic, and though I did find her frustrating at times I found her story pretty compelling by the end, if a little short on answers (I know, this is Malazan). Wasn't a huge fan of Fiddler's storyline.
I loved Icarium and Mappo's story though, and am interested to see where it goes from here.

Overall I enjoyed the book, I found parts a bit slow at times, especially at the beginning, but was left quite satisfied by the end, if not a little bit emotionally devastated.
Definitely a big improvement in pacing and focus over GotM, as well as characterization and emotional impact.
Oh and Iskaral Pust is a funny dude.

On to Memories of Ice!

1. Correct.
2. It's a bit more complicated than that. Narratively, if you noticed, both Felisin's and Apsalar's storylines could have been resolved that way and were headed somewhat in that direction.
3. Shadowthrone works in mysterious ways. Also he likes people owing him, and keeping competent subordinates around.
4. "How does ascension work?" is not really something you could completely pick up just from the first two books. Yes, Kellenved and Dancer ascended the same time Laseen took over. Yes, the Hounds of Shadow are ancient beings. Both of these are true, and not contradictory. If that seems confusing, don't worry, it will make sense as you read more.
5. Reread?
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#6 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 25 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

The Shadow 'aspect' has been around for a long time, but character in GotM mention that the House of Shadow is rather new. So from that one could conclude that High House Shadow was created (or re-created) upon Kellanved and Dancer's ascension, but that perhaps the realm of Shadow, the Hounds, etc, are all much older than the House itself.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#7 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:02 PM

You seem to know what you should know.

As for story elements you liked less, some of those may just be setting up for future story, so be patient.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users