• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Making A Murderer Netflix - Documentary

#21 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

Where I ultimately landed is I understand why people care about the mystery aspect of it, but that wasn't my personal takeaway. I don't care at all really if he did it or not. I don't care if the filmmakers thought he was innocent, and I'm not concerned if they showed bias in his favor. The two elements I care about are presumption of innocence -- in that light there should always be bias -- and reasonable doubt. Even a guilty person should not be imprisoned by a system that can't prove it, or uses illegal/unethical means to do so.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#22 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:08 AM

I watched the first four episodes last week.

As upsetting and disgusting as the events that surround the case(s) seem, I just couldn't get into it. Even sitting and playing a game or reading a book alongside the show, I just could not be arsed to pay attention.

There's something about the format of the show that just feels wrong. It's a bit too TV-show with the True Detective-esque opening and the serialized format. Yet it's not gripping or entertaining enough for me to want 10 hours of it. I hope they release a 90 minute documentary afterwards.

I've heard that the state/county didn't want to feature in the documentary and that's why you don't get their side, but it sure does seem like a highly subjective angle the show takes. But as biased as the documentary seems the events sure are fucked up.

Watching the interviews with the teenager was some of the most frustrating bullshit I have ever seen. Fuck that judge.

This post has been edited by Apt: 03 February 2016 - 05:37 AM

#23 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:14 AM

Finished the last episode earlier tonight. I just feel sick and bemused. What an absolute clusterf**. Part of me feels like some sort of disaster tourist, watching the car crash pile up as it happens but unable to avert my eyes. Not sure what to think anymore. At the very least
Spoiler

Someone told me there were plans for a second series. Is that true and, if so, will it be a continuation of this case or a completely different trial?

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 03 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#24 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:49 AM

From their Daily Show interview, they said it won't be the same case. I'm not sure what to think of it, since this was clearly a long term project and the next one can't be, but they seem to be following the Serial model for better or worse (and I don't think they said whether they already had a subject in mind).

#25 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:05 AM

View PostDumbledude, on 20 January 2016 - 01:07 AM, said:

Where I ultimately landed is I understand why people care about the mystery aspect of it, but that wasn't my personal takeaway. I don't care at all really if he did it or not. I don't care if the filmmakers thought he was innocent, and I'm not concerned if they showed bias in his favor. The two elements I care about are presumption of innocence -- in that light there should always be bias -- and reasonable doubt. Even a guilty person should not be imprisoned by a system that can't prove it, or uses illegal/unethical means to do so.

Exactly.

Spoiler

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#26 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:22 AM

Oh snap.

Federal judge overturns Brendan Masseys conviction.

The judge agreed his confession was coerced.

http://www.npr.org/s...ontent=20160813

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 14 August 2016 - 12:23 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#27 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:38 PM

Same Federal judge has ordered Brendan's immediate release now too. Good to hear. Poor kid.

Also over the last three days Avery's lawyer, Kathleen Zellner, has said that she has finally gotten the go-ahead to push through testing of old evidence again...including a bunch of the mishandled DNA, and things from where the car sat, as well as claiming that Avery's alibi is ACTUALLY airtight...and has stated that while she can't say the particulars...that she has NEVER in her years seen a crime scene so fabricated.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#28 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 25 September 2018 - 11:25 PM

Part 2! October 19th on Netflix.

https://www.usatoday...ber/1419999002/

#29 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 September 2018 - 02:25 AM

Cool, I've needed a light-hearted pick-me-up show.

#30 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 23 October 2018 - 05:43 PM

Havent started s2 yet. Kind of curious with the media coverage of events now whether it will be quite as engaging to follow.

When watching S1 one had no idea where it was going to go/end up.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#31 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 October 2018 - 02:04 AM

Yeah, episode one was solid.

It’s not OH MY GOD WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?!?! like season 1 yet, but solid so far.

#32 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:01 AM

It's very good so far, 4 eps in
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#33 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:48 AM

Just started S1 of this. Already very annoyed haha
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#34 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

I still maintain that having layman juries is a bonkers concept.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#35 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 26 October 2018 - 04:49 AM

Just finished s2.

Very slow build. There is an interesting deep dive into the evidence but also a lot of heartstrings pulling to stretch the content.

And at the end

Spoiler

#36 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 October 2018 - 12:13 PM

There’s a pretty comprehensive reddit thread that talks about all the evidence that points at Avery that is left out of the show (s1 anyways)...he totally did it, they just left out the right amount of evidence for the documentary to give the audience reasonable doubt.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#37 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 October 2018 - 12:31 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 October 2018 - 12:13 PM, said:

There’s a pretty comprehensive reddit thread that talks about all the evidence that points at Avery that is left out of the show (s1 anyways)...he totally did it, they just left out the right amount of evidence for the documentary to give the audience reasonable doubt.

A lot of that evidence is tackled in season 2. Not all, but still it is in a place where he may have done it but likely should not have been convicted, and some cops definitely tried to help the case

#38 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Oh yeah, lots of shady shit happened on the state/police side. No question.

I just used to think Avery was innocent...but now I’m leaning hard into “he probably did it”

Will be watching S2, just haven’t got around to it yet.

#39 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 October 2018 - 09:09 PM, said:

I still haven't formed an opinion of his guilt as I've never once followed this irl.

I still maintain that Zellner likely has the competence to hammer them if she is allowed to get into a courtroom. I'd give her 75-80% chance of getting him off and cleared.

Those odds could apply to a new trial.

The issue is her odds of getting into a courtroom in that way are slim. When you consider that somehow Dassey ran out of appeals when his should be a slam dunk, Zellner may never see a jury.

Also bear in mind that a lot of her evidence is based on getting that new trial. In other words, she has some compelling evidence it didn't go down the way the prosecution said and convicted him with, but it doesn't prove he could not have done it.

If there were a new trial the prosecution could present a new theory of the crime.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users