• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

some thoughts after reading

#1 User is offline   spartan301 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:meet me and find out :)

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:27 AM

awesome.. have yet to fan out on this series and i'd like to say i love it so much so far. Fav characters in this book? where to start? so many lol, if i had to chose one Duiker i think who doesn't love a badass old solider historian? the funniest part in my opinion is for sure the part in the flooded warren when a undead dragon comes out of where ever and through all the shit that group has been through Geslar just waves... i laughed so hard and reread it to make sure i read it right lol, there is many great funny parts in this book but this part tops them all because of my reaction and i hope others enjoyed it as much. Coltaine you are a super great fist and a badass and if you are reborn after the crows took your soul and enter into the series again later i cant wait. So lastly some questions

1. Icarium (Awesome name) and Mappo, i understand that he was chosen to kinda protect the world from Icarium's rage but was Mappo's people like.. enemies of Icarium? they kinda said something along those lines that maybe mappo's people we killed because of icarium's rage but i didn't really understand. Never thought i'd feel bad for a super powerful rage killer but this book has done it.

2. house of Azath- are these people like... part of one the founding races old? or older? even if we finally get some information about this group in this book, I still don't understand really, with all these ascendant games and hidden motives where do these guys fit?

3. how does one flood a warren? or damage them? do just have to be a mage or other powerful being and like cast powerful spells? Also does that mean all warrens are like.. separate places that mages draw energy from? i guess i just don't fully understand how warrens work and im thinking i should since it's now the second book.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

All three of your questions will be addressed in future books, and you know exactly as much as you should so far.

You will find that fairly often a concept will be introduced "on the ground" in one book and then elaborated on (by someone who may or may not be in the know) in future books, and your light bulb will turn on.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:14 AM

What Worry said, most of what you're asking is read and find out.

However in regards to Warrens, it is confusing. It still is 17 books in.

When a mage is drawing upon a warren. He is drawing upon an aspect linked to that warren. For example the warren of shadow or the warren of air.

However, most of the warrens mentioned in the books also have physical worlds within them. Whether these worlds are actually real in the same way as Wu (The malazan world) is, is not always clear. There are pocket warrens, "world out of time" warrens, even Alien warrens that seem to exist not as a power source but just a separate planet.

A lot of this insight is pure speculation extrapolating bits of understanding from what we see and hear in the books.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

View Postspartan301, on 07 January 2016 - 06:27 AM, said:

awesome.. have yet to fan out on this series and i'd like to say i love it so much so far.

Welcome, you'll fit right in.

Fav characters in this book? where to start? so many lol, if i had to chose one Duiker i think who doesn't love a badass old solider historian? the funniest part in my opinion is for sure the part in the flooded warren when a undead dragon comes out of where ever and through all the shit that group has been through Geslar just waves... i laughed so hard and reread it to make sure i read it right lol, there is many great funny parts in this book but this part tops them all because of my reaction and i hope others enjoyed it as much. Coltaine you are a super great fist and a badass and if you are reborn after the crows took your soul and enter into the series again later i cant wait.

You have so much fun reading ahead of you. SO MUCH.

So lastly some questions

1. Icarium (Awesome name) and Mappo, i understand that he was chosen to kinda protect the world from Icarium's rage but was Mappo's people like.. enemies of Icarium? they kinda said something along those lines that maybe mappo's people we killed because of icarium's rage but i didn't really understand. Never thought i'd feel bad for a super powerful rage killer but this book has done it.

As far as you've read, you've pretty much got it. Mappo's people, the Trell race, aren't enemies of Icarium. Another group, however, aranged for Mappo to be Iccy's companion, and he's not the first companion they've arranged. All kinds of people have been killed by Iccy's rage, but he's not responsible for everything he's blamed for.

2. house of Azath- are these people like... part of one the founding races old? or older? even if we finally get some information about this group in this book, I still don't understand really, with all these ascendant games and hidden motives where do these guys fit?

All you know at this point is that there are Azath Houses that show up and bind powerful things, and that there is a cult of people who appear to serve the Azath in some way.

3. how does one flood a warren? or damage them? do just have to be a mage or other powerful being and like cast powerful spells? Also does that mean all warrens are like.. separate places that mages draw energy from? i guess i just don't fully understand how warrens work and im thinking i should since it's now the second book.

Worry and Apt's posts pretty much cover it.... more will be explained.
Just have in the back of your mind that there are different kinds of warrens, and that the word can mean different things depending on context. Some are physical spaces, some are more like concepts, some are power sources, some aren't, some are really frikkin old, some are shiny and new, etc etc. And just to complicate things there are forms of magic, like what Nil and Nether use, that aren't warrens (maybe).
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   spartan301 

• Recruit
  • Interests:meet me and find out :)

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

i understand a lot of people who shy away from these books because they are kinda complicated but honestly love the series so far because of that and i can't wait to read on, thank you all for the replys. it's also nice to talk to actual fans of the book lol not many in my life read a lot like me and have yet to find someone in my life who actually have read and enjoyed these books, thanks all again and after i found this awesome site, looking at fan art and everything this site has to offer will be a great addition to the books. I'll have more posts in the future as i finish books in the series. Thanks again to all the comments :(

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 January 2016 - 05:24 PM

Be sure to visit the Other literature subforum when you want to read or discuss other books.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:00 PM

What Apt said. If fant/sf books are your thing then the Otherlit subforums are pure candy.

Re the fan art... be warned, it's awesome and beautiful and addictive and contains SPOILERS.

And don't hesitate to keep posting thoughts in the book specific subforums as you work your way through the series. Sharing the experience with people who love these books is a whole other great aspect.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 13 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

As others have said, all three of those questions are answered later in the series. Just keep reading. ^_^
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#9 User is offline   Hoepner 

• Recruit

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:17 AM

Just finished Deadhouse Gates... I don't think i have ever cried reading fiction but i got to page 745(massmarket-paperback edition) and the tears flowed. i had to read GOTM three times to get it (took a year) glad i didn't give up. I'm gonna read Deadhouse Gates again then move on to Memories of ice

#10 User is offline   Kasrith 

• Recruit

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

View PostAbyss, on 07 January 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Re the fan art... be warned, it's awesome and beautiful and addictive and contains SPOILERS.

Yeah, I can vouch for this. Just finished DG last night, but a couple of days ago I was looking for fan art. The Fall of Coltaine was spoiled for me the day before I read it....

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:57 AM

View PostKasrith, on 21 May 2016 - 01:37 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 07 January 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Yeah, I can vouch for this. Just finished DG last night, but a couple of days ago I was looking for fan art. The Fall of Coltaine was spoiled for me the day before I read it....

The fan art in the Malazan Wikia Spoiler Free Gallery is arranged by book. Once you have finished a book, the gallery for that book is safe for you

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users