Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Other Stuff Like Ready Player One?

#1 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:17 PM

So I just read Ready Player One, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I then read Off to be the Wizard, which I liked but it wasn't up to the same quality as Ready Player One.

About the only other thing I've read in this kind of Genre (current/slight future video games/alternate lives?) was Otherland by Tad Williams.

Anyone have GOOD books about this same sort of thing? I suppose Snowcrash (which I enjoyed quite a bit) would qualify?
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:52 PM

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

I dunno if Snow Crash counts, but Reamde, also by Stephenson, certainly does. It's not his best work, but that's because he mashed the perfectly good video game plot with another one (at his publisher's insistence) that doesn't really fit and spoiled both. The stuff actually concerned with the game is good.

You: A Novel by Austin Grossman seems to fit the bill - I haven't read it yet, but I liked his supervillain book Soon I Will Be Invincible so I will at some stage.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#4 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 05 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Maybe the Dream Park novels By Larry Niven and Steven Barnes?

http://www.amazon.co...?ie=UTF8&btkr=1
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#5 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

View PostObdigore, on 05 January 2016 - 06:17 PM, said:

So I just read Ready Player One, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I then read Off to be the Wizard, which I liked but it wasn't up to the same quality as Ready Player One.

About the only other thing I've read in this kind of Genre (current/slight future video games/alternate lives?) was Otherland by Tad Williams.

Anyone have GOOD books about this same sort of thing? I suppose Snowcrash (which I enjoyed quite a bit) would qualify?

This is a amazing topic idea, I got so desperate for something similar... that I tried reading Sword Art Online (the book) it was roughly the same as the series.

Anyone??
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#6 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

After reading RPO I went on this same quest. I was recommended Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez. They're similar in some ways - rich computer inventor guy dies, leaves quest, shenanigans ensue - but it's way way freak'n different in a lot of other ways. I loved them. But they are much darker, violent, and ideologically themed. Definitely give them a try.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#7 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 05 January 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

I dunno if Snow Crash counts, but Reamde, also by Stephenson, certainly does. It's not his best work, but that's because he mashed the perfectly good video game plot with another one (at his publisher's insistence) that doesn't really fit and spoiled both. The stuff actually concerned with the game is good.

You: A Novel by Austin Grossman seems to fit the bill - I haven't read it yet, but I liked his supervillain book Soon I Will Be Invincible so I will at some stage.

I got Reamde, and like everything I've read of Stephenson, I'm never like 'must read more', but when I do read the book I can't put it down for 4+ hours.

It was ok, but it was a lot less 'video game' related then I kind of hoped, honestly.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#8 User is offline   Grimjust Bearegular 

• Irregular Bacon Berserker Medic of the Abyssmal Army
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malazan Artist
  • Interests:MAFIA, drawing and writing.
  • Godless killing machine - and proud of it!

Also, braaaaiiiinnnnzzzzzzzz!

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:43 AM

You should read Snow Crash - RPO is basically an updated version of that book. Now you can also read Armada, Ernest Cline's second book. It's not nearly as good as RPO, but a fun read nontheless :p
Things and stuffs...and other important objects.

#9 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 07 February 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostGrimjust Bearegular, on 06 February 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

You should read Snow Crash - RPO is basically an updated version of that book. Now you can also read Armada, Ernest Cline's second book. It's not nearly as good as RPO, but a fun read nontheless ^_^

I'm going to take a wild guess, from OP having enjoyed Snow Crash very much, that he's already read it.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:21 PM

Probably this one (which I had no idea was even being written!)

Attached File  RP2.jpeg (224.52K)
Number of downloads: 0

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 08 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#11 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:21 PM

Didn't even finish the first one.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:38 AM

View PostTraveller, on 08 July 2020 - 08:21 PM, said:

Didn't even finish the first one.

Downer dude is downer.

I enjoyed the hell out of RP1, in a frivolous retro fun way, and utterly look forward to this.

...as long as it's better than ARMADA because that was meh.

Hope he gets Wil Wheaton to narrate the earbook again.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:40 AM

Hey I don't abandon many books, ever, but it felt like it had all this stuff crammed in to make me like it solely based on all the nostalgic references, but the actual story just felt inherently predictable.. I got bored!

Maybe the earbook was better.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 July 2020 - 01:48 AM

The actual story is thin as BK's back-seat upholstery. It's the setting and nostalgia that makes it fun to read. But fair enough if you're so cold and dead inside that that didn't keep you that's not your thing zombie cylon fascist.

#15 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

Well, who needs a story when you can keep saying ' ooh I remember those!' and 'I understand that ref - I had one of those/watched that!' every few lines :)

No, I'm sure it's good if you like lists of things the warm glow of nostalgia rammed in presented in a subtle way.

I'm looking forward to reading the first two chapters of the next one.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:30 AM

I adore lists of things. Especially lists of things I adore.
More so when those lists of things go fight massive battles with other lists of things.

I see all of your points. They are valid. I don't care, the book was a blast.
Fascist.

#17 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:12 PM

With RPO, I could tell that those lists and info dumps were objectively bad writing, but I didn't care. Most of the references were things that I had heard of, but hadn't experienced. So I didn't get any nostalgia from the book, but I still had a blast with it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users