Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jaghut Hierarchy Hint from Arathan

#1 User is offline   Jhag of spades 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:29 AM

While reading FoD I noticed that Arathan internally comments on the eye color of Gothos (p. 724) and Hood (p. 731), saying that Gothos' eyes are gold and that Hood's are silver. It is indicated that, especially in Hood's case, it is because of the water reflecting in the eyes. Could the uninformed Arathan possibly be misinterpreting it for a reflection and actually tell us something specific about these two characters? In case it is a hint, does SE tell us about the hierarchy of the Jaghut race? I know it seems unlikely that the Jaghut would have a hierarchy, both because of the way they are as beings but also because of their non-existing society/civilization (and what good does a hierarchy do you then) but they were both alive before and could it could be an indication of their respective positions beck than. The obvious way to interpret the eye color would be to conclude that Gothos is the "king" while Hood would be the tier below (whatever that would be for Jaghut's). This doesn't really fit with what we know from RG and Hood sitting on the throne of OP, also Hood's ability to collects the army for the war on death kind of suggest a lot of influence but that could have to do with the banner under which he goes to war. The RG information could of cause be either a later development or Dead Hedge missing something, though that seems unlikely.

I realize that I'm probably grasping at straws here and Arathan just might be right about it being nothing but reflections, but I'm a big fan of the Jaghut as a race finding each one an interesting addition to the world of Wu. Further these to powerhouses are some of my favorites in the entire series, main and others, so i really try to absorb every piece of information, which is not a lot seeing as they have gotten way too little screentime.

Don't really know if there is much of a question here, but would like to hear what you guys think? Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:31 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if Gothos were "above" Hood in the hierarchy. Neither would I be surprised if he were the kind of guy who'd let Hood take the throne regardless. Gothos seems like someone who is above such lowly squabbles :D

#3 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Some people believe that Gothos is an azathanai (equivalent of Draconus, but for the Jaghut). That would kinda fit your theory. And explain why he wouldn't sit a throne, It'd make Hood the equivalent of mother dark, a kind of 'chosen one' (I mean that most ironically).

#4 User is offline   Jhag of spades 

• Recruit

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 04 January 2016 - 10:31 AM, said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Gothos were "above" Hood in the hierarchy. Neither would I be surprised if he were the kind of guy who'd let Hood take the throne regardless. Gothos seems like someone who is above such lowly squabbles :D

I reckon you're right, it would seem very much like Gothos to ignore his position within the Jaghut race and be more interested in carrying out his own agenda, whatever that is. Also he seems to admire Hood, even if he doesn't agree with his plans, and thus I guess it would make sense if he let Hood takeover the leading role of the Jaghut..? Though the way I see it they are not a race that most of the time would be following one individual.

View PostFelisin Fatter, on 04 January 2016 - 10:47 AM, said:

Some people believe that Gothos is an azathanai (equivalent of Draconus, but for the Jaghut). That would kinda fit your theory. And explain why he wouldn't sit a throne, It'd make Hood the equivalent of mother dark, a kind of 'chosen one' (I mean that most ironically).

I guess you're right that it would kind of explain it. But do we have any leads that suggest that Gothos could be Azathanai? Other than the one about him being able to fight to a draw with Draconus?Posted Image Which is not really that telling since we already know that the Jaghut are extremely powerful, especially Gothos and Hood!

#5 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

View PostJhag of spades, on 04 January 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

While reading FoD I noticed that Arathan internally comments on the eye color of Gothos (p. 724) and Hood (p. 731), saying that Gothos' eyes are gold and that Hood's are silver.

It doesn't state that Hood's eyes are silver, merely that his eyes catch the silver reflection from the pool (which is silver). I read it to mean that his eyes were moist, i.e. that he was saddened nearly to tears by Draconus' words. Also, SE might want to highlight the strange colour of the pool (vitr?) in the same stroke. Just my interpretation, though.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 04 January 2016 - 04:55 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#6 User is offline   Jhag of spades 

• Recruit

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:12 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 January 2016 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostJhag of spades, on 04 January 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

While reading FoD I noticed that Arathan internally comments on the eye color of Gothos (p. 724) and Hood (p. 731), saying that Gothos' eyes are gold and that Hood's are silver.

It doesn't state that Hood's eyes are silver, merely that his eyes catch the silver reflection from the pool (which is silver). I read it to mean that his eyes were moist, i.e. that he was saddened nearly to tears by Draconus' words. Also, SE might want to highlight the strange colour of the pool (vitr?) in the same stroke. Just my interpretation, though.

That is true it is stated that it is a reflection, or at least that is what Arathan think it is and seeing as Arathan haven't seen any of the two previously he might be mistaken about it being a reflection. I just find it curious that we within such a short span of pages get told about the specific eye color of those two characters and both being of precious metals.
That being said i do agree that Hood's wet eyes would be likely to reflect the water in the dungeon. Though have we ever been told that the Vitr has a silver/metallic color and thus would reflect like silver? It could of course just be the light in the cave that gives this reflection, but isn't it stated that the dungeon was lit be torches? (I don't have the book on me at the moment, so I could definitely be mistaken!)

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

Might be a reference to how they placed in the recent Jagholympics.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Jhag of spades 

• Recruit

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:33 AM

View Postworry, on 04 January 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

Might be a reference to how they placed in the recent Jagholympics.

That does almost seem more likely.Posted Image Though it does raise the question of which disciplines are included in the Jagholympics (with or without magical disciplines)? And who won the bronze?

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

Jhenna got bronze.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users