Malazan Empire: Multiple attacks in Paris, November 13 2015 - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multiple attacks in Paris, November 13 2015 Hostages, shootings, explosions, the situation is pretty dire.

#81 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 November 2015 - 09:24 AM

If you want to point fingers at who destroyed that library, better look at the Romans and the early Christians.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#82 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:55 AM

This argument reminded me of a point I heard someone make in a debate once. 'that the middle east has translated less books into arabic as a whole than a typical country from anywhere else'. Given the type of emptions and prejudices in those debated I never really believed it but I did a quick google and while I can't find the original source it was quoted by the la times, who states the UN is the source of the fact.

http://articles.lati...inment/et-arab4

It does speak of a cultural that is insular and as a result one many from outside might very well consider alien.

On the other end we could consider the pervasiveness of hollywood for example in the English speaking world and argue that is has a strong effect in homogenizing cultures and exporting American or western values to the English speaking world.

Than we can resurrect the thread on if Universal morality is a real thing.

This post has been edited by Cause: 27 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

#83 User is offline   EmperorMagus 

• Scarecrow of Low House PEN
  • Group: Tehol's Blissful Chickens

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostCause, on 27 November 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Umm, No. It simply is not a thing. Every culture creates their own morality as a result of their cultural experience and actions that are needed for their survival. Every single action cultures consider moral or immoral can be traced back to some facet of their daily life in the past. This is why there are cultures in which murder, infanticide, and cannibalism are considered normal. I know what I'm saying is a rather crude generalization, but the gist of my statement is true.
Wade Davis has been trying to ram this into my skull for the past three months and I can say with safety that I've run out of logical objections against it.

His books are excellent collections of ethnographic studies trying to explain exactly this phenomenon.
The Wayfinders
Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
#sarcasm

#84 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostNostalgia for Infinity, on 27 November 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostCause, on 27 November 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

Umm, No. It simply is not a thing. Every culture creates their own morality as a result of their cultural experience and actions that are needed for their survival. Every single action cultures consider moral or immoral can be traced back to some facet of their daily life in the past. This is why there are cultures in which murder, infanticide, and cannibalism are considered normal. I know what I'm saying is a rather crude generalization, but the gist of my statement is true.
Wade Davis has been trying to ram this into my skull for the past three months and I can say with safety that I've run out of logical objections against it.

His books are excellent collections of ethnographic studies trying to explain exactly this phenomenon.
The Wayfinders

Or you can read the Geneology of morals by nieztsche, of which foucalt developed further in his essay on history.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users