Malazan Empire: Just finished DG. These are my thoughts and feelings... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished DG. These are my thoughts and feelings...

#1 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:20 PM

Oh...

Yeah.

I get it now.

I finally understand why this series has so loyal fans. I understand why everyone was saying that this is the best fantasy piece of art that's ever written. I understand why everyone said "Read DG first, then decide if you like it". Yes, I understand now.

What there is to say about DG? It is a far superior book than its predecessor, that's one thing. The writing was better. The pacing was excellent. But where it stood the most in my opinion is the fact that DG made you feel things. From disgust to laughter, from awe to fear and from hope to obliterating sadness. Coltaine... Duiker... God damn it.

But even putting feelings aside, from the very beginning DG felt superior. I loved the POVs. One complaint I had in regards to GotM was the fact that almost every singe POV felt so OP. Tattersail, Kruppe, Baruk etc. In DG we read about humans (or not) who for once were oblivious to the vast mythology and magic of the world or/and helpless. Duiker, Felissin, Fiddler, Mappo. Mortals, trying to survive, guided by their own truths and goals in a harsh, relentless world.

The other thing that I also loved is the fact that we got answers to a lot of questions. Another complaint about GotM is the fact that by the end of it we had a hundred questions but only one or two answers. In DG, of course we have tons of questions but we get so many answers. And the revelations, oh the revelations.

I must say, not only am I hooked but I'm also a true fan. I will read fucking everything guys. I'll do it. I'm here to stay.

So many questions and thoughts!

1. Who was the god laughing at the end in Heboric's mind?
2. What exactly happened with Fener? I thought that he came to the desert via Heboric, then nothing.
3. What was that thing Heboric touched? The giant finger buried in the desert.
4. Who is the Chained One? Why did the T'llan Imass told Kulp and the others that they serve him?
5. Undead Dragons??!!
6. Who is the bad guy? It's my understanding that Shadowthrone and Cotillion are not the villains we thought they would be. Laseen is the same imo. What's the end game here? Whose is the end game? What's going on? Aaaaaaah
7. Flooded warrens, Whirlwind warrens. Ancient broken warrens.
Spoiler
(^ I put it in spoiler cause I can't remember if it was mentioned in GotM or if I read it online and spoiled it)

8. Apt is cute. I like apt.
9. Who is this Toblakai and why can't we learn his name?
10. Fiddler is awesome.
11. Erikson found a perfect way to express his terrible dad jokes. Wickan humor!
12. What exactly is the Path of Hands? What was that gate under Pust's temple? Where does it lead? We never got an explanation for that! aaaaaaah

Of course, I'm not asking these questions to get answers. I know the answer. It's RAFO. And that's what I'll do dammit.

This post has been edited by Oblivious: 08 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

Glad to see you loved DG! And now you are going to read MoI for the first time!Posted Image

Literally every single question you asked except the last one is RAFO.

Bad guys? Who said there were bad guys? (looks around) I don't see any, do you?

The Path of Hands is a route/place/method/process for D'ivers and Soletaken to gain Ascendancy. The gate/culmination point to the Path was concealed under Pust's temple

#3 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

View PostAndorion, on 08 November 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

The Path of Hands is a route/place/method/process for D'ivers and Soletaken to gain Ascendancy. The gate/culmination point to the Path was concealed under Pust's temple

We know that from early on. What I meant was "What exactly is it?". Where does the gate lead? Will the Path of Hands play some role or was it conveniently placed in DG to crawl the place with frightening D'ivers?

"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostOblivious, on 08 November 2015 - 05:37 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 08 November 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

We know that from early on. What I meant was "What exactly is it?". Where does the gate lead? Will the Path of Hands play some role or was it conveniently placed in DG to crawl the place with frightening D'ivers?

Well, as for where it leads, that is something you should figure out for yourself, so RAFO I guess?

#5 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 08 November 2015 - 05:53 PM

View PostAndorion, on 08 November 2015 - 05:42 PM, said:

Well, as for where it leads, that is something you should figure out for yourself, so RAFO I guess?

Yeah, yeah I know :P

#6 User is offline   Sue Sue Ridgepipe 

• Recruit

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:35 AM

Man, cannot tell you how jealous I am of you about the read MOI for the first time... IMO DG is good, but MOI is great.

#7 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostSue Sue Ridgepipe, on 12 November 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Man, cannot tell you how jealous I am of you about the read MOI for the first time... IMO DG is good, but MOI is great.

Some say DG is the best, other that MoI is the best. In any case I can't wait. At the moment I'm reading The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach as I'm following the wikia's Ultimate Reading Guide. :bs:

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

And they would both be wrong!

Those are often the books that people remember from their first read-through, but upon rereading the series, other books really come to the fore and definitely can compete or even best DG and MoI, in my humble opinion. So 8 more Eriksons, interspersed with 6 Esslemonts, and then your first reread... Man, I envy you Posted Image

Unfortunately, as Andorion already said, most of your questions really are RAFO. Some answers will be forthcoming fairly soon, some you'll have to bottle up until later books. If you are worried about losing track of storylines or about missing key elements, it might be worth checking the Tor.com reread, if you had not stumbled upon that one yourself already: http://www.tor.com/s...of-the-fallen/. It's a chapter by chapter summary and reflection for each book, from a first-time reader and a rereader perspective. It should be mostly spoiler-free, but that depends a bit on what you consider 'spoilers'. It's probably advisable to read the Tor bits after you've finished a book.

Enjoy the ride!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 02:39 PM

View PostOblivious, on 12 November 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

View PostSue Sue Ridgepipe, on 12 November 2015 - 09:35 AM, said:

Some say DG is the best, other that MoI is the best. In any case I can't wait. At the moment I'm reading The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach as I'm following the wikia's Ultimate Reading Guide. :bs:

I waver wildly but ultimately those two books remain my favorite two books i have ever read, ever.
And i have read a metric fucktonne.

The upthread posters (and you) have it right that it's all about the RAFO, tho on 11 i'll add that Wickan humour is the best. :p

Re MoI, as Gorefest says, enjoy the ride. I agree w Sue and envy you what you're about to read... to experience... for the first time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#10 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

Well, at the moment I'm reading Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach, as recommended by the wiki. It's a nice break between the beasts, DG and MoI.

View PostGorefest, on 12 November 2015 - 09:59 AM, said:

And they would both be wrong!

Those are often the books that people remember from their first read-through, but upon rereading the series, other books really come to the fore and definitely can compete or even best DG and MoI, in my humble opinion. So 8 more Eriksons, interspersed with 6 Esslemonts, and then your first reread... Man, I envy you Posted Image

Unfortunately, as Andorion already said, most of your questions really are RAFO. Some answers will be forthcoming fairly soon, some you'll have to bottle up until later books. If you are worried about losing track of storylines or about missing key elements, it might be worth checking the Tor.com reread, if you had not stumbled upon that one yourself already: http://www.tor.com/s...of-the-fallen/. It's a chapter by chapter summary and reflection for each book, from a first-time reader and a rereader perspective. It should be mostly spoiler-free, but that depends a bit on what you consider 'spoilers'. It's probably advisable to read the Tor bits after you've finished a book.

Enjoy the ride!

Gorefest, I've been reading Tor's ReRead articles since day 1. I think it's a must for first time readers of this series. In case I hadn't read them I would have missed so much. I especially like what Bill's doing. He doesn't spoil things, he just says "keep that in mind, it might come up 6 books ahead" :P

View PostAbyss, on 12 November 2015 - 02:39 PM, said:

I waver wildly but ultimately those two books remain my favorite two books i have ever read, ever.
And i have read a metric fucktonne.

The upthread posters (and you) have it right that it's all about the RAFO, tho on 11 i'll add that Wickan humour is the best. :)

Re MoI, as Gorefest says, enjoy the ride. I agree w Sue and envy you what you're about to read... to experience... for the first time.

I'm sure you do :D Can't wait to experience everything. Though, I try not to rush the series. Not that rushing Malazan is doable but even if it were I want to experience everything.

This post has been edited by Oblivious: 13 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 27 December 2015 - 01:37 AM

View PostOblivious, on 08 November 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

1. Who was the god laughing at the end in Heboric's mind?
2. What exactly happened with Fener? I thought that he came to the desert via Heboric, then nothing.
3. What was that thing Heboric touched? The giant finger buried in the desert.
4. Who is the Chained One? Why did the T'llan Imass told Kulp and the others that they serve him?
5. Undead Dragons??!!
6. Who is the bad guy? It's my understanding that Shadowthrone and Cotillion are not the villains we thought they would be. Laseen is the same imo. What's the end game here? Whose is the end game? What's going on? Aaaaaaah
7. Flooded warrens, Whirlwind warrens. Ancient broken warrens.
Spoiler
(^ I put it in spoiler cause I can't remember if it was mentioned in GotM or if I read it online and spoiled it)

8. Apt is cute. I like apt.
9. Who is this Toblakai and why can't we learn his name?
10. Fiddler is awesome.
11. Erikson found a perfect way to express his terrible dad jokes. Wickan humor!
12. What exactly is the Path of Hands? What was that gate under Pust's temple? Where does it lead? We never got an explanation for that! aaaaaaah

Of course, I'm not asking these questions to get answers. I know the answer. It's RAFO. And that's what I'll do dammit.

1. Heboric? I thought that was with Duiker?
2. Pulled out of his warren. He runs off because that is a very dangerous situation for a god.
3. You will find out. It's the finger of an enormous statue, though.
4. The chained one is the Crippled God
5. Yes.
6. This series doesn't usually break down neatly into that. Neither Shadowthrone/Cotillion nor Laseen are "the bad guys." All the characters who are plotting likely have different end games.
7. Originally, though some were very different at the time. K'rul is incredibly ancient.
8. Yes.
9. You will see.
10. Yes.
11. Also yes.
12. Shhhhh
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#12 User is offline   Kasrith 

• Recruit

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:54 AM

View PostKanese S, on 27 December 2015 - 01:37 AM, said:

1. Heboric? I thought that was with Duiker?

It was both! I noticed it when I finished DG yesterday.

This post has been edited by Kasrith: 21 May 2016 - 01:55 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users