Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Timeline questions

#1 User is offline   RandallFlagg 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:14 AM

Hey guys, first time starting a thread but I've found that after 2 years I'm finally at a stage where I'm waiting for the next book to come out rather than being able to jump straight into reading the next one. So to pass the time I thought I'd ask a few questions regarding the timeline of events between this book and the others.

1) This is happening simultaneously to Stoneweilder, but wasn't the Queen of Dreams the main opposition to the 'Lady' from Stonewielder? I know Azanthanai can manifest in multiple places, but T'riss made a big deal of lowering her powers to face Ardatha, and she was fighting the powerful manifestation of the crippled god on another continent at the same time? Seems like unnecessary multi-tasking.

2) On the T'riss Ardatha thing, why did she choose this moment to confront here after I'm assuming thousands of years? Correct me if I'm wrong, but their confrontation seemed to have no bearing on the crippled god? Ardatha didn't care about any of the fragments, she just wanted to live in her timeless jungle, take K'azz as a lover (?) and get her spider armour back from Skinner............. or something. Surely T'riss could have put that on the backburner for a little bit while the potentially world-ending Bonehunters battle was going on. She actually kept mentioning how they were running low on time but her actions seemed to have no bearing on the jade giant stuff at all?

3) And this is true for Orb Sceptre Throne and Stonewielder too, but how come no one else is mentioning Icarium's effect on the warrens/ creation of the new magic system? Such a strong plot point in DoD/TCG, are we supposed to assume it's only a local effect? Wouldn't a newly created magic system be available worldwide? All the mages present throughout those books seem to make no mention of it

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for the questions. I'll dribble out answers over the coming months so when I'm done you'll have virtually no wait time for the next book.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:24 AM

1) There's a good explanation for this. You see (to be continued...)
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   RandallFlagg 

• Recruit

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:41 AM

View Postworry, on 04 November 2015 - 03:24 AM, said:

1) There's a good explanation for this. You see (to be continued...)

Thankyou for this, I'll excitedly wait 3 weeks for your answer

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:58 AM

Let me introduce you to a long-standing forum tradition. Repeat after me "The time line is not important". Just keep on doing this a few hundred times and you should be fine

#6 User is offline   RandallFlagg 

• Recruit

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostAndorion, on 04 November 2015 - 04:58 AM, said:

Let me introduce you to a long-standing forum tradition. Repeat after me "The time line is not important". Just keep on doing this a few hundred times and you should be fine

Haha I thought that was only referring to the flashback events thousands of years earlier! So even the books happening simultaneously don't make sense with each other? I can live with some plot holes, I guess about 5 books are happening over this same stretch of time so it might not all fit together...

I won't even get started on the prequels...

#7 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostRandallFlagg, on 04 November 2015 - 05:28 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 04 November 2015 - 04:58 AM, said:

Haha I thought that was only referring to the flashback events thousands of years earlier! So even the books happening simultaneously don't make sense with each other? I can live with some plot holes, I guess about 5 books are happening over this same stretch of time so it might not all fit together...

I won't even get started on the prequels...

A good example of these timeline issues is how Midnight Tides ends before Gardens of the Moon begins, but Reaper's Gale which begins only a month or two after Midnight Tides begins around two or three years after Gardens of the Moon. Also the ages of characters jump around between books.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 04 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users