• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questions

#1 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Hi all,

I have started MOI and I am currently on chapter six. The questions I ask might be answered in the later chapters, but as I mentioned before, I fear to miss something that has been explained :p Therefore, please write RAFO if they are explained after chapter 6 Posted Image

My first set of questions belong to Prologue:

1) Kilava sends the children to The Rent in replacement of another soul. My question is, if The Rent is sealed with the previous soul, how Kilava could see the Rent and sent the children up? Why didn't the first sealing close the gate?
2) People opened a portal to an alien world and pulled Crippled God to gain more power in order to stop Kallor, am I right?
3) What is the meaning of the "Fall of the Crippled God"? What does "fall" mean? Is it CG's being pulled through the portal?
4) If Kallor is not an ascendant, why people needed a God from an alien world? Who used the power stolen from CG? How come Kallor can be so powerful?
5) Why K'rul needed to fashion a place within him for the incinerated continent? Why within him? What does fashining a place within him means? Did the continent disappear completely from the world like carving out a piece of the land?
6) Why the first soul in The Rent returned to his/her tomb which is heavily warded? Why is he/she not freed immediately (That also happened to Raest, too)
7) Warrens are like different realms. Why did SE especially emphasizes that CG's from an alien realm? What does alien realm means? If I live in this world, wouldn't all Warrens and thus realms be alien to me?

Wow, 7 questions only in Prologue? I surpassed myself :thumbsup:

Thank you in advance,

Regards
I am the master of my fate.. I am the captain of my soul..

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:22 PM

1. My understanding is that the soul was a block/patch on the Rent. The Rent is a literal rent/tear in the fabric of the world. It could not be healed but it could be patched

2. Yes, more or less correct

3. Fall as in literal fall. That portal probably opened high in space, Think of a meteorite strike, Thats the fall of the CG

4. Kallor was worshipped by his people. Worship gave him tremendous power, thus necessitating the CG event, Kallor continues to be powerful because, as stated in the prologue he had all his subjects killed in a mass sacrifice to himself. Sacrifice gives more power. He is not an Ascendant due to the curse of Draconus and Co.

5. Regarding K'rul, you may understand more as you read on. So RAFO

6. I suppose thats how that type of magic works

7. CG is entirely alien, that is not even from the warrens tied to this world. This is mostly RAFO so I can't say any more

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

View Postiso9001, on 03 November 2015 - 02:27 PM, said:

My first set of questions belong to Prologue:

1) Kilava sends the children to The Rent in replacement of another soul. My question is, if The Rent is sealed with the previous soul, how Kilava could see the Rent and sent the children up? Why didn't the first sealing close the gate?

The rent wasn't invisible, just sealed - there's no suggestion that a sealed rent just vanishes, especfially to someone who is powerful enough to deal with it, and Kilava is VERY powerful.

2) People opened a portal to an alien world and pulled Crippled God to gain more power in order to stop Kallor, am I right?

That's what you should have taken from the prologue, yes.

3) What is the meaning of the "Fall of the Crippled God"? What does "fall" mean? Is it CG's being pulled through the portal?

The portal was REEEEEEAAAAAALLLYYYY high up in the air.

....no, that's not a joke, they pulled him through and he fell A LOT.

4) If Kallor is not an ascendant, why people needed a God from an alien world? Who used the power stolen from CG? How come Kallor can be so powerful?

This is not in the prologue, nor in previous books.

5) Why K'rul needed to fashion a place within him for the incinerated continent? Why within him? What does fashining a place within him means? Did the continent disappear completely from the world like carving out a piece of the land?

From the prologue you should have gotten that the world was wounded and this was a way for it to heal. That's all you get so far.

6) Why the first soul in The Rent returned to his/her tomb which is heavily warded? Why is he/she not freed immediately (That also happened to Raest, too)

It's not easy to cut out on rent.
Hee hee, see what i did there?

7) Warrens are like different realms. Why did SE especially emphasizes that CG's from an alien realm? What does alien realm means? If I live in this world, wouldn't all Warrens and thus realms be alien to me?

Yes, it's subjective.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Thank you Abyss and Andorion, you make my world a lot easier :p

Since this book is both exciting and confusing, I decided that I should read tor rereads along with the book. I finished the chapter 5 and here are my unending questions :p

Chapter 1 Questions:

None! Well, isn't that an accomplishment for me :p

Chapter 2 Questions:

1) Is CG crippled before or after the fall? The term "fall of the CG" indicates like he was already Crippled.
2) How could QB entered to CG's warren to visit him in his tent? I know he had a tracker but entering a warren must be something harder I guess.
3) Is Burn a living warren? I guess I will learn more later but cannot completely comprehend what is going on here. CG is poisining Burn but how? QB is pulled down by a hand and finds himself in Burn. So, is the warren CG is in the same with the Burn? If not, how can CG poisin Burn?
4) What happens if Burn dies? Is Burn just an entity or is it a God or an Ascendant?
5) Paran is struggling with the Blood in himself. I remember he freed two Hounds from Dragnipur. How the Blood of the Hound blended into him? Was the blood already in him and does he only realize what he already has?
6) Paran mentions "a child screaming in darkness, a Hound howling lost in sorrow, a soul nailed to the heart of a wound". Are these the Jaghut children and the one eyed beast in Prologue?
7) Is becoming a God after Ascendancy give you more power? How does that work?

Chapter 3 Questions:

8) What does being born in a Warren signifies? If it is that important, can a sorceress give birth her child in a Warren?
9) Between Rake and Crood, is there any superior?
10) This question actually belongs to DG but I thought about it when I read Tayschrenn. In DG, Laseen tells Kalam that the killing of Bridgeburners is misguided if I recall the word correctly. What does that mean? Does Laseen want BBs dead or was it simple Tays' plan to get rid of them?
11) If the Great Ravens are "have been honorable guardians of the Crippled God’s magic", then when Ravens die, does it mean that a part of CG's magic also die? Does dying of ravens make CG weaker?

Chapter 4 Questions:

12) Do we get to learn why Burn sleeps to dream? What is her dreams? What happens if Burn wakes, will the world torn apart or be destroyed?
13) What is the difference between a House and a Hold?
14) I am not sure I understood "Unaligned" :)
15) I really tried hard to understand the conversation between Paran and Tattersail but I believe I failed :) Holds, Houses, Azath, Power, Aligned and Unaligned... :thumbsup:

Chapter 5 Questions:

16) After the fall, why people chained CG? Is it possible to kill a God? Have they not forseen the results of this chaining?
17) What is the rank of Thurule? Is it ever revealed?
18) Can entities create Warrens just like Imass created Tellann?
19) Burn's plan is to create a hammer that can shatter the chains of CG's to her to stop the poison infecting her and she chooses to sleep. She finds Brood to do so without caring of people who will eventually vanish due to freeing of CG thinking she can start over. Am I correct?
20) What does First Sword means? If Tool is FS, what does that signify?

Regards

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

Tried to answer them, hopefully didn't spoil anything, RAFO is the answer for most of the questions

1. Definitely after the fall
2. There is always more to QB than meets the eye
3. Burn is the sleeping Goddess of the world. The world itself is Burn (in a way) CG is chained on her body. (I didn't do this very well. Maybe Abyss can help)
4. Catastrophe. Apocalypse. The world itself dies (probably)
5. Probably when he came in contact with Hound Blood after Rake killed a couple of them.
6. Quite possible
7. God=Ascendant+worship
8. I assume you are referring to Silverfox? That is a unique case.
9. Brood you mean? No clear answer to this, both are ancient Ascendants, on their relationship though, RAFO
10. RAFO
11. The Ravens are very large in number so a couple dying woudn't make any difference
12. RAFO (possibly) waking - RAFO
13. Holds are older, Warrens are newer. Houses are essentially attempts to structure warren magic into order, Mostly RAFO
14. Not belonging to any House
15. Will get back to you on that.
16. Foreseen - probably not. Rest is RAFO
17. Not relatively high
18. I don't think so, and Imass probably didn't create Telann
19. You are close RAFO
20. It is a position and a person. First Sword means First Warrior, Supreme Commander of the armed forces, chief strategist, and usually an awesome warrior. First two don't apply to Tool as he is clanless

#6 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thank you Andorion. Maybe Abyss can also help me with these questions, too :thumbsup:

Regards

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

View Postiso9001, on 04 November 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Thank you Abyss and Andorion, you make my world a lot easier :p

Since this book is both exciting and confusing, I decided that I should read tor rereads along with the book. I finished the chapter 5 and here are my unending questions :p

Chapter 1 Questions:

None! Well, isn't that an accomplishment for me :p

Chapter 2 Questions:

1) Is CG crippled before or after the fall? The term "fall of the CG" indicates like he was already Crippled.
2) How could QB entered to CG's warren to visit him in his tent? I know he had a tracker but entering a warren must be something harder I guess.
3) Is Burn a living warren? I guess I will learn more later but cannot completely comprehend what is going on here. CG is poisining Burn but how? QB is pulled down by a hand and finds himself in Burn. So, is the warren CG is in the same with the Burn? If not, how can CG poisin Burn?
4) What happens if Burn dies? Is Burn just an entity or is it a God or an Ascendant?
5) Paran is struggling with the Blood in himself. I remember he freed two Hounds from Dragnipur. How the Blood of the Hound blended into him? Was the blood already in him and does he only realize what he already has?
6) Paran mentions "a child screaming in darkness, a Hound howling lost in sorrow, a soul nailed to the heart of a wound". Are these the Jaghut children and the one eyed beast in Prologue?
7) Is becoming a God after Ascendancy give you more power? How does that work?

Chapter 3 Questions:

8) What does being born in a Warren signifies? If it is that important, can a sorceress give birth her child in a Warren?
9) Between Rake and Crood, is there any superior?
10) This question actually belongs to DG but I thought about it when I read Tayschrenn. In DG, Laseen tells Kalam that the killing of Bridgeburners is misguided if I recall the word correctly. What does that mean? Does Laseen want BBs dead or was it simple Tays' plan to get rid of them?
11) If the Great Ravens are "have been honorable guardians of the Crippled God's magic", then when Ravens die, does it mean that a part of CG's magic also die? Does dying of ravens make CG weaker?

Chapter 4 Questions:

12) Do we get to learn why Burn sleeps to dream? What is her dreams? What happens if Burn wakes, will the world torn apart or be destroyed?
13) What is the difference between a House and a Hold?
14) I am not sure I understood "Unaligned" :p
15) I really tried hard to understand the conversation between Paran and Tattersail but I believe I failed :p Holds, Houses, Azath, Power, Aligned and Unaligned... :)

Chapter 5 Questions:

16) After the fall, why people chained CG? Is it possible to kill a God? Have they not forseen the results of this chaining?
17) What is the rank of Thurule? Is it ever revealed?
18) Can entities create Warrens just like Imass created Tellann?
19) Burn's plan is to create a hammer that can shatter the chains of CG's to her to stop the poison infecting her and she chooses to sleep. She finds Brood to do so without caring of people who will eventually vanish due to freeing of CG thinking she can start over. Am I correct?
20) What does First Sword means? If Tool is FS, what does that signify?

Regards

Some of your questions are answered by the end of MoI.Some by the end of the series. Afraid you're just going to have to work for it.:p
Tho ill answer your Paran question because it's from GotM... Paran touched a dead Hound's blood after Rake killed one.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 05 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

I tried that once, but all it left me with is an almost irresistible urge to water lamp posts and chase our postman.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi all,

Here are two quick questions.

• It is said that Trake died and ascended to true Godhood but when it comes to Kellanved, he did not die and Ascended to Godhood without releasing First Throne. Do someone die or not when he/she ascends or becomes a God?
  • What does "personal Warren space" mean? This is referring to Tool's warren in which Silverfox is re-born.

Regards

This post has been edited by iso9001: 01 December 2015 - 02:40 PM

#10 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 01 December 2015 - 04:18 PM

1. There are many different ways to 'ascend' and also different ways of becoming a god. So some ascendants and gods died to get there, some almost died, some didn't die at all.
2. Not sure what you mean with this. I don't think that Silverfox's birth has anything to do with Tool. The only influence of Tool in that whole affair was, as far as I remember, that his presence prevented the souls of two mages (Tattersail and Bellurdan) to pass on and instead trapped them in Nightchill's body. This triumvirate of souls later becomes housed inside the entity we come to know as Silverfox. But this happens inside Kruppe's dream world/warren, with the help of a T'Lan Imass bonecaster (Pran Chole) and K'rul.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Thank you.

What I mean by two is explained here in chapter 1: http://www.tor.com/2...ice-chapter-19/

Regards

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

Well, that is still referring to the event Gorefest mentions, I think. But in terms of the meaning of that specific phrase, it means Tool used his personal warren access to Tellann to create a force field of power around himself. Tattersail tapped into that power. At least I think that's what you're getting at.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#13 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

Thank you Worry.

Do you also know why Brood keeps Kallor with him and why Kallor accepted a lower rank under Brood? Was it because of the curse?

Regards

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer, keep Kallor closest?

I don't remember if Kallor considers himself a lower rank or something more like an adviser/resource.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Yeah, don't think that Brood 'outranked' Kallor so much as that Kallor simply saw it as expedient to ally himself with Brood while working on his own schemes. Officially Brood will have been the senior ranking officer in that army, but as we saw many times, ranks and hierarchies didn't mean very much in the Genabackan alliance. Each faction just did their own thing without much deference to formal hierarchy structures.

#16 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

This makes sense, thank you ;)

Brood's constant warnings towards Kallor about losing his temper signified that Kallor has a lower rank, I think :unsure:

Regards

#17 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 December 2015 - 04:00 PM

To me it signified more that Brood allowed/endured Kallor's presence because of his huge experience with large-scale warfare and tactical insights, but his patience with Kallor on a personal and professional level was wearing rather thin. Kallor is an advisor, not the leader of the alliance, but he keeps overstepping his priviliges and place.

#18 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

I really could not get what happened between Paran and Finnest House and between Paran and Draconus. This is getting more and more confusing. Besides, I am still having troubles regarding with Warrens, elder races, elder Gods etc. Can you please help me? :unsure:

#19 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

It's a bit tricky, as there is quite a lot of RAFO involved in your questions. What have you put together yourself so far? You'll learn more about warrens and elder races etc in upcoming books, although there will always be a veil of mystery surrounding them.

#20 User is offline   iso9001 

• Lieutenant

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:18 PM

View PostGorefest, on 04 December 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

It's a bit tricky, as there is quite a lot of RAFO involved in your questions. What have you put together yourself so far? You'll learn more about warrens and elder races etc in upcoming books, although there will always be a veil of mystery surrounding them.

Well, I am not even sure what I know and this is how I always feel :crybaby:

I learned that Shadowthrone's realm is not an actual realm and a gate to the real shadow realm. It is a splinter of another realm (or I am mostly confused ;) ). Don't know what does signify? Moreoever, what Draconus made with Dragnipur is to help Darkness fight Chaos or something like that. And there is the term order... You see, I don't know what to think :unsure:

Some other things that bother me:

How can the Throne of Shadow be located on a moving island? Shouldn't it be in Shadow realm?
What exactly is a human warren?
What does shattering of a warren mean?

BTW, did Paran bless the Shield Anvil or Anaster? I believe we sill what Blessing means in the later chapters...

I actually also read the TOR rereads along with the chapters but I am still having troubles. So thank you for your help ;)

Regards

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users