Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Iskaral and dramatis personae

#1 User is offline   Mist 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

It is mentioned in BH that Iskaral is Magi of Shadow, and he well proves to be up to the title, but when reading the dramatis personae, he does not appear as so.
This may not be relevant... Or again.. More RAFO.
Any thoughts?

#2 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

The dramatis personae only lists information that is known at the start of the book, to avoid spoilers. As we only learn that he is the actual Magi during the BH, it will not yet be in the dramatis personae of that book.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#3 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

View PostMist, on 22 October 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

It is mentioned in BH that Iskaral is Magi of Shadow, and he well proves to be up to the title, but when reading the dramatis personae, he does not appear as so.
This may not be relevant... Or again.. More RAFO.
Any thoughts?

Oh Goodness, this moron is asking questions about Iskaral Pust! Doesn't he know how shadow works at all! I'm going to ignore him. No, wait, I have a better idea! Be all nice and answer his insipid question, and he'll probably give me rep. They fall for it everytime.

Great question!

I would say that the dramatis personae usually focuses on who characters are widely known to be. For example, you get Traveller sometimes, and Strings. It just sets up the widely known angles then you have to read on and figure out the rest.

I bet he is actually buying this bs

And with Shadow in general and Pust in particular, there are a lot of secrets and deception and games with games. So we can assume that it is not widely known who the Magi is.

Yes, that's the answer he wanted, wasn't it. Now lets see if this fool actually gives me rep, Hahaha, he is playing right into my hands!
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:16 PM

Also SE sometimes has fun in the DPs. When you get to TtH read the DP closely

#5 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:08 PM

Also, Deck positions aren't all put into DP. And in general, the Deck in the Appendix is all over the place. Only the "super-confirmed" ascendants are actually listed as such.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#6 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 22 October 2015 - 04:29 PM

I always had a sneaking suspicion that Iskaral Pust was Shadowthrone himself

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

View Postnacht, on 22 October 2015 - 04:29 PM, said:

I always had a sneaking suspicion that Iskaral Pust was Shadowthrone himself

Shadowthrone was an Emperor, for Hood's sake.
Do you really think he'd settle for Mogora?

#8 User is offline   Mist 

• Corporal

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

Gorefest, thanks. You are right, and made me realize that I have mistaken the section. It is not the DP from the begining of the books, but in the final Glossary that he does not appear as Magi. Having said this...

Nevyn, you made me laugh! And I agree that I should know by now that when talking about Shadow things are never what they seem.

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostMist, on 23 October 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

You are right, and made me realize that I have mistaken the section. It is not the DP from the begining of the books, but in the final Glossary that he does not appear as Magi. Having said this...

Oh, in that case I'm not sure, although it could still be for the same reason, that they assume you might be leafing to the glossary during reading to check on the various Houses and titles. But yeah, I guess that might just be a choice or an oversight, not sure.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:51 PM

Deck positions are ridiculously fluid, and there's an enormous amount of symbolism whenever the cards are used, or "assigned".

Apsalar was Virgin of Death in GotM, for instance. Kalam had Assasin card (Cotilion's) tossed at him on multiple occasions. In MoI QB explicitly says that Talamandas will be the new face on Magi of Death.

Don't get me started on the House of Chains (Bidithal-magi, Cripple-Munug, Leper-the Nathii slaver, Queen-Poliel), and what happens to them all. And then there's Gethol, who is a "Herald", but supposedly w/o a card.

There's all kinds of shenangans with these cards, is all i'm saying. Only ones who are "confirmed" are the ones that've been around for a while, or ones who are new, but super-major players (like Paran, or Karsa).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users