Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hello Malazites

#1 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:57 PM

Another one joins the army of the Malazan Empire.

I started my journey in the Malazan world a month ago and I've read GotM and NoK so far. I must say I am hooked. I'm following the Tor reading order and I must say the discussion at the end of each chapter have helped me a lot figuring out what's going on, as well as to what I must pay attention to. Of course, the articles are quite old (almost 5 years old) so I can't make any comment to discuss things. Fortunately I found you. So from now on, every time I want to discuss something I'll open a thread in the appropriate book section.

In a few days I'm starting Deadhouse Gates, which according to the Goodreads reviews, is a blast. Can't wait!

Btw, my username is Oblivious. I use it often but this time I find it extremely appropriate since I have no idea what is going on! I have my theories though. Fortunately, I'll find out soon enough.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

This post has been edited by Oblivious: 11 October 2015 - 06:00 PM

"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#2 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 October 2015 - 05:26 PM

Welcome! Damn glad to meet ya.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

Weird reading order, to be honest. I wonder why Tor recommends that. I'd place NoK after book 5, not after book 1. But i guess it won't spoil too much.
Welcome to the fold!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 11 October 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

Welcome! Damn glad to meet ya.

Hiya Slow Ben!

View PostGorefest, on 11 October 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

Weird reading order, to be honest. I wonder why Tor recommends that. I'd place NoK after book 5, not after book 1. But i guess it won't spoil too much.
Welcome to the fold!

I'm not sure cause I haven't read the rest of the books but I find it logical. You start with the original book, then read the prequel to further immerse yourself, then follow the chronological order. It's also recommended in the wikia.
"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

It's not logical for a first read at all really, but the TOR project is a reread after all. Ultimately it's not the worst thing in the world though, mostly harmless.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:02 PM

It's all good... Welcome. Enjoy DG. I envy you for what your about to experience for the first time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:04 PM

View PostOblivious, on 11 October 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'm not sure cause I haven't read the rest of the books but I find it logical. You start with the original book, then read the prequel to further immerse yourself, then follow the chronological order. It's also recommended in the wikia.

Problem is that it does have some spoilers for later books, so for a first time reading it isn't ideal. Nothing major though, I don't think. Hope you enjoy Deadhouse Gates!
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:39 PM

View Postworry, on 11 October 2015 - 07:23 PM, said:

It's not logical for a first read at all really, but the TOR project is a reread after all. Ultimately it's not the worst thing in the world though, mostly harmless.

Worry, I haven't thought that Tor's doing a reread. The comments in each chapter are spoiler free so I guess it makes sense for me to follow this format. Is there a particular format for newcomers?

#9 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

View PostAbyss, on 11 October 2015 - 09:02 PM, said:

It's all good... Welcome. Enjoy DG. I envy you for what your about to experience for the first time.

View PostGorefest, on 11 October 2015 - 09:04 PM, said:

View PostOblivious, on 11 October 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Problem is that it does have some spoilers for later books, so for a first time reading it isn't ideal. Nothing major though, I don't think. Hope you enjoy Deadhouse Gates!

Omg guys, everyone is super hyping me up for DG. I don't know what to expect. I hope I won't be disappointed due to... hyper-hypation.

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:21 AM

View PostOblivious, on 11 October 2015 - 09:39 PM, said:

Worry, I haven't thought that Tor's doing a reread. The comments in each chapter are spoiler free so I guess it makes sense for me to follow this format. Is there a particular format for newcomers?

It won't hurt you to follow the TOR order from this point, actually, though flipping Crimson Guard so it's before Reaper's Gale is preferable. There's a spoiler-free read order thread stickied in this very subforum though if you want more info.

#11 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:04 AM

View Postworry, on 12 October 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

It won't hurt you to follow the TOR order from this point, actually, though flipping Crimson Guard so it's before Reaper's Gale is preferable. There's a spoiler-free read order thread stickied in this very subforum though if you want more info.

Oblivious, the timing for reading RotCG is probably the most debated thing about the read order. Since you've already read NoK, the Tor read order is fine. RotCG and TTH are very chronologically close (with RotCG slightly earlier). Personally, I'd read TTH before RotCG, because I think RotCG spoils TTH more than vice versa, but it's a personal preference and there's not much in it either way. Go with whichever you have to hand first, between those two is not much of a big deal (though I would encourage you more to read Reaper's Gale before RotCG).

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#12 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 October 2015 - 04:08 AM

Oh yah. Maybe that's what I meant.

#13 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 12 October 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostGrief, on 12 October 2015 - 03:04 AM, said:

View Postworry, on 12 October 2015 - 01:21 AM, said:

Oblivious, the timing for reading RotCG is probably the most debated thing about the read order. Since you've already read NoK, the Tor read order is fine. RotCG and TTH are very chronologically close (with RotCG slightly earlier). Personally, I'd read TTH before RotCG, because I think RotCG spoils TTH more than vice versa, but it's a personal preference and there's not much in it either way. Go with whichever you have to hand first, between those two is not much of a big deal (though I would encourage you more to read Reaper's Gale before RotCG).

Ok, thanks guys! When I get to that point I'll get advise from you again. Right now I have a lot of pages to read!

#14 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 October 2015 - 12:41 AM

View PostOblivious, on 11 October 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

Btw, my username is Oblivious. I use it often but this time I find it extremely appropriate since I have no idea what is going on! I have my theories though.

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like you should check out this fun little game some of us play here. http://forum.malazan...forum/51-mafia/
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#15 User is offline   montyswingwell 

• Corporal

Posted 18 December 2015 - 03:06 AM

Having not looked into the reading order stuff AT ALL I predict a lot of ahhhhhhhhhhs when I read Esselmonts books

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users