Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Insomnia reading required

#1 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 04 October 2015 - 03:54 PM

Sorry these occasional requests can be annoying but I'm desperate. I'm having a bout of insomnia that isn't going away anytime soon and I have already burned through the books I had waiting on my Kindle. I'm looking for a new series that is suitable for the 4am brain. I've neglected traditional fantasy fiction for a while so hoping there are some good new series out there. I'm thinking a bit more meaty than Gemmel but nowhere as complex as Malazan and they need to be complete. I've been trawling through the "Reading at the moment" thread and can't pick anything obvious out.

Help me Malazan Empire you're my only hope. Thanks!
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:02 PM

Have you tried shadows of the apt? Read the first two a few years back, quite interesting, about to restart reading myself.

A recently completed trilogy is Brian Mclellan's Powder Mage, which is not very complicated, but very action oriented.

Also have you read the Ketty Jay books?

This post has been edited by Andorion: 04 October 2015 - 04:18 PM

#3 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:08 PM

I'll hit some of the classics.

Fred Saberhagen's book of Swords series.

Michael Moorcocks Elric series

Robert Lynn Asprin's Thieves World series
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#4 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:23 PM

Discworld.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#5 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:53 PM

One resonably traditional fantasy could be Daggerspell begining Katherine Kerr's devery books could be something. It is fairly complex and should be completed at 15 books. While not as complex as malazan it is fairly hard work if you want to keep all incarnations of people straight but the hardwork isn't required to make them a decent read. The first four books are more or less a contained story.

Theft of Swords is the first part of a fairly decent fantasy series by Michael J Sullivan in a fairly traditional shape and while not especially complex it holds some surprises especially closer to the end.

While not particularly traditional even if the setting is Feast of Souls is the first part of a brilliant series by C. S. Friedman which is at least somewhat complex.

Low Town by Daniel Polansky is particularly fine example of traditional fantasy meets and is devoured by noir urban-fantasy for a fairly complex example of the urban fantasy in medieval times genre.

That was pretty much all I've read the last few years that is both finished and remotly traditional fantasy.

This post has been edited by Chance: 04 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

#6 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'd suggest the codex alera series by Jim Butcher and Dave Duncan's 'a man of his word' for traditional fantasy which is gemmel-like, both fairly light.

Or the prince of thorns series by Mark Lawrence or joe abercrombie's first law for something a bit darker and more malazan like.

I'm pretty sure you've read shadows of the apt (brilliant crap I think you described it as :rolleyes:) but if you haven't that's ok.

Or brent weeks night angel series, if you haven't read it is pretty fun

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:20 PM

May want to check out Tom Lloyd's "twilight reign". It's a 6-book series, got a lot of traditional elements (farm-boy is the chosen one, elves), but the plotting gets to be Malaz-lite and world-building's pretty neat. I had some issues with characterization early on, bu th series improves on that.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#8 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

I'd second Prince of Thorns, and suggest the Black Company if you want something Malazan-esque.

Or Dresden for a 4am brain, entertaining but not heavy.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#9 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:06 PM

Thanks guys. I haven't read Shadows of the Apt so not sure who IH has been talking to ;-) Sounds like something i would say though! I think I will give the first one of that series a go. I will also look at Codex Alera too as I recall seeing lots of people here discuss it but it's never in my mind when I'm browsing for new material.

I'm up to date on First Law, Black Company and Prince of Thorns.

Never looked at Dresden, I have no clue what it is. I read you guys talking about it and always assumed it is too far down the geek spectrum for me but no idea why I think that.

I tried Soul Music from Pratchett years ago. I kind of enjoyed it but had to force myself through it so I have always assumed it's not for me. Maybe I should give it another go. Is there a good book to start with?

Thanks again!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 06 October 2015 - 09:22 PM

#10 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

i would read annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#11 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:05 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 06 October 2015 - 09:06 PM, said:

I will also look at Codex Alera too as I recall seeing lots of people here discuss it but it's never in my mind when I'm browsing for new material.

Never looked at Dresden, I have no clue what it is. I read you guys talking about it and always assumed it is too far down the geek spectrum for me but no idea why I think that.

Thanks again!

Hey Mez, if it's a light fantasy series you want, then Butcher's Codex Alera is a nice one. The first book is pretty simple fare, but it improves significantly as the series progresses.

The Dresden Files are also by Butcher, and again are very easy reading, and great fun. The first two books are easily the weakest (as they are some of the earliest works he's published), and he himself has suggested that people start on Book 3, Grave Peril. Though it really begins to take off with book 4, Summer Knight. The advantage of this series is that there are already so many in print, that you've plenty of reading ahead of you if you like them. I love them as a nice easy, action filled read that plays around with various mythical figures and has a long story playing out.

And then i go back to my science fiction for more complicated stuff.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#12 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:38 PM

Thanks guys. I haven't read Shadows of the Apt so not sure who IH has been talking to ;-) Sounds like something i would say though! I think I will give the first one of that series a go. I will also look at Codex Alera too as I recall seeing lots of people here discuss it but it's never in my mind when I'm browsing for new material.

I tried Soul Music from Pratchett years ago. I kind of enjoyed it but had to force myself through it so I have always assumed it's not for me. Maybe I should give it another go. Is there a good book to start with?

Thanks again!

I distinctly remember a conversation with you Where you described it as 'crap, but the kind of crap you can't get enough of' must have been some other series but I read it on the basis of that review :rolleyes:

Guards guards or small gods are as good a place as any to start Pratchett. Others will no doubt disagree.

#13 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:50 PM

The best insomnia reading is "Atlas Shrugged". Skip to the start of Galt's speech.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#14 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

Thanks again!

Start Pratchett with Guards Guards, or Wyrd Sisters, or Small Gods. Maybe even Reaper Man

#15 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:57 PM

Shadows of the Apt book 1 totally worked at 3am this morning. Light and breezy enough to make me feel like it wasn't torture to be awake at that time!

And IH - I reckon you must have been drinking when you heard me say that ;-)

#16 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:05 PM

Why not just start Discworld with the first book:The colour of magic?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#17 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:19 PM

I got about a quarter through book 3 of Shadows of the Apt and can't face reading the series anymore - nothing to do with quality but because I was reading them during constant morning sickness the thought of this series makes my stomach turn over now. I haven't been able to touch my Kindle in about 2 months. I should have started re-reading WoT!!

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 09 January 2016 - 02:21 PM

#18 User is offline   Imperial Historian 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2016 - 03:11 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 11 October 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

Shadows of the Apt book 1 totally worked at 3am this morning. Light and breezy enough to make me feel like it wasn't torture to be awake at that time!

And IH - I reckon you must have been drinking when you heard me say that ;-)

Almost certainly.

Now it's going to bug me while I try and think what book you were describing as brilliant crap, as I'm pretty sure I read shadows of the apt on the strength of that recommendation!

#19 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

Wheel of Time. Book 10 will completely cure your insomnia.

#20 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 10 January 2016 - 02:23 AM

Yeah it's a good thing you didn't get morning sick while reading Malazan or Wheel of Time. Your life could be totally different!

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 10 January 2016 - 02:24 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users