Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Assorted thoughts on Forge of Darkness

#1 User is offline   ComradeYurika 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

After a long journey of about 2 and a half years, I've now read all of Erikson's Malazan novels (although I still have a couple of ICE books left). My first thought on finishing Forge of Darkness was the realization that now I'm in the same boat as everyone else in having to wait to see what happens next, which is strange after all this time of always being able to just move on to the next book.

Forge of Darkness was, in my mind, an excellent book. I wasn't sure what to expect with the new setting and being set so long ago, but I found that almost all of the storylines really worked for me. There are so many neat little nods to what will come in the future for these characters, and it's really interesting to see the early stages of Tiste society, as well as seeing some Jaghut and Azathanai stuff. And all the little reveals, like the first meeting of Rake/Brood, Olar Ethil being Envy/Spite's mom, etc, were all really nice. Plus we seem some characters in a completely different light now. It's strange to see Scara Bandaris as a really nice, honorable and loyal man, given what he eventually becomes. The same for Sukul Ankhadu being such a nice little girl. I'll be interested to see if we see the seeds o what leads them to where they eventually go being seeded here.

And I can imagine that future re-reads of the main series might have moments taking on new depth. We see a lot more of Orfantal here (and it's great), so his death might have more of an effect compared to in the main series where he doesn't get that much development. The same goes for all of Sandalath's backstory. And Haut/Varandas, who were just minor characters in Dust of Dreams/The Crippled God, but have key roles here.

I really enjoyed Arathan's story. It was one of my favorites in the book, and I'm curious to see where he's going. It could be that he's Ruthan Gudd, or he could be someone entirely new. Either way, he has a pretty interesting journey ahead of him. The same goes for Korya. My initial thought was that she's Korlat given the name similarity and her being from the same family as Sandalath/Orfantal, but I'm not sure if that fits 100%. Wreneck was an incredibly minor character, but his sections were really good. I hope we get to see him get back at those Legion members in the future. The Jaghut in general are awesome. I'm looking forward to the War on Death, given the intriguing mentions it got in the past.

There's still a lot left to explore with this world, so bring on Fall of Light.

This post has been edited by KuwabaraTheMan: 23 August 2015 - 05:47 PM

#2 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:23 PM

I think Erikson wants to make the betrayal of Ruin (and Ruin's knowing acceptance of that betrayal) particularly poignant by making Scara Bandaris a very honorable person shoved into an unwanted role. Perhaps Erikson will also wish to make Ruin self-punishing or someone who wants to duck out of certain responsibilities for a while.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:44 AM

Wreneck was an incredibly minor character, but his sections were really good. I hope we get to see him get back at those Legion members in the future. The Jaghut in general are awesome.

Good point. I didnt realize this earlier but Wrenech POV had a strong effect.
I felt the same about the Narad POV

Also gut wrenching was how Enesdia was handled.
It seems to me the Tiste was a race lacking in compassion.

#4 User is offline   ComradeYurika 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2015 - 02:56 AM

View Postnacht, on 24 August 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

Good point. I didnt realize this earlier but Wrenech POV had a strong effect.
I felt the same about the Narad POV

Yeah, Narad was another good minor POV. He starts off as a pretty unlikable guy, but then he really sees a lot of shit. He's someone who I wound up feeling for a lot, and I was happy to see him going off with Scara at the end and leaving those other guys behind. I think one of Erikson's biggest strengths with characters is how he can establish characters like these with just a small number of scenes.

#5 User is offline   Kalam&Quick 

• Recruit

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:12 AM

View PostKuwabaraTheMan, on 23 August 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

And I can imagine that future re-reads of the main series might have moments taking on new depth. We see a lot more of Orfantal here (and it's great), so his death might have more of an effect compared to in the main series where he doesn't get that much development. The same goes for all of Sandalath's backstory. And Haut/Varandas, who were just minor characters in Dust of Dreams/The Crippled God, but have key roles here.

i agree 100%. the little bits, like with orfantal, are amazing, and will make for an incredible re-read. i mean, i did not feel much at all when he died in the main series, but now after seeing everything he had gone through, it actually makes me pretty sad.
That is one thing that i have always loved about Erickson and his writing style, is that while in one or two books this character might be a minor player but in another book, he might be a main character with a lot more backstory to add that depth to the previous roles we have seen them in, IE: karsa oorlong/toblakai, Both Paran sisters being mentioned in the first book for all of 2 pages, and then being not only key roles, but tavore being literally one of the most important characters in the whole series, but not even being introduced properly until the 4th/5th books and not even being really fleshed out and given depth until more then half way through MBothF.

I for one can't wait for more.
-Hood, he is one character mentioned more then any other in the entire series( remember a thread somewhere about total Hood references being up in the hundreds/low thousands by the time you reach DoD) on top of him being a complete BA and already assumed to be crazy powerful( i mean he even had draconus a little uneasy and this is easily 100-300k years before MBoTF)

-arathan, this kid just has the feel of somebody important, and i can tell he will have a major role in this whole store.

-More GOTHOS, i mean this guy is the BOSS when it comes to jag huts, i mean he literally froze like most of the letherii continent, he's strong enough to chain even hood himself down, His children are Mass power spawns of evil and chaotic greatness, and the fact that this man can write an endless suicide note, need more gothos for sure.

-Would also like to see more Brood. i mean for all his references in MBoTF he really does not get a lot of time in th spotlight, and is made to seem like a slightly lesser player compared to Rake/Draco/Hood/Crippled God/ EK & Cots, etc. but based on what we have seen so far, not only is a an Azanathai, but he is one of the greatest masons of the azanathai as well as being a pretty ancient being, being old(presumably based on his reputation and being an azathi) even during the event of FoD, so hopefully we will get more insight into him and his personality and his relationship with Rake.

- on that note, i would like to just get MD done and out of the Story. honestly she is completely NOT what i was expecting. based on all the opinions/stories/mentions of mother dark. i felt her to be more of a loving god, thus making the action of her turn away from her people, that much more tragic, but honestly, at this point, i can not wait for her to up and leave the story haha. i mean even anomander seems to be sick of her business and lousy way of dealing with things, and he is the First Son Of Darkness himself!! I always thought her being more of like a galadriel(from LOTR) and at this point she seems more of a Olar Ethil type of personality.
BUT at the same time, it is nice to finally know who she is and how she came about. rather then listen to a bunch baby andiis rattle on about how she used to be or how they thought she would be( seeing as most of the living andii in the series out side of the main andiis*think blue rose* either never really dealt with her or were born after her turning her back on the andii)
“Hello, Capustan. The Bridgeburners have arrived.”

#6 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 31 January 2016 - 02:20 AM

View PostKalam&Quick, on 31 January 2016 - 02:12 AM, said:

View PostKuwabaraTheMan, on 23 August 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

i agree 100%. the little bits, like with orfantal, are amazing, and will make for an incredible re-read. i mean, i did not feel much at all when he died in the main series, but now after seeing everything he had gone through, it actually makes me pretty sad.
That is one thing that i have always loved about Erickson and his writing style, is that while in one or two books this character might be a minor player but in another book, he might be a main character with a lot more backstory to add that depth to the previous roles we have seen them in, IE: karsa oorlong/toblakai, Both Paran sisters being mentioned in the first book for all of 2 pages, and then being not only key roles, but tavore being literally one of the most important characters in the whole series, but not even being introduced properly until the 4th/5th books and not even being really fleshed out and given depth until more then half way through MBothF.

I for one can't wait for more.
-Hood, he is one character mentioned more then any other in the entire series( remember a thread somewhere about total Hood references being up in the hundreds/low thousands by the time you reach DoD) on top of him being a complete BA and already assumed to be crazy powerful( i mean he even had draconus a little uneasy and this is easily 100-300k years before MBoTF)

-arathan, this kid just has the feel of somebody important, and i can tell he will have a major role in this whole store.

-More GOTHOS, i mean this guy is the BOSS when it comes to jag huts, i mean he literally froze like most of the letherii continent, he's strong enough to chain even hood himself down, His children are Mass power spawns of evil and chaotic greatness, and the fact that this man can write an endless suicide note, need more gothos for sure.

-Would also like to see more Brood. i mean for all his references in MBoTF he really does not get a lot of time in th spotlight, and is made to seem like a slightly lesser player compared to Rake/Draco/Hood/Crippled God/ EK & Cots, etc. but based on what we have seen so far, not only is a an Azanathai, but he is one of the greatest masons of the azanathai as well as being a pretty ancient being, being old(presumably based on his reputation and being an azathi) even during the event of FoD, so hopefully we will get more insight into him and his personality and his relationship with Rake.

- on that note, i would like to just get MD done and out of the Story. honestly she is completely NOT what i was expecting. based on all the opinions/stories/mentions of mother dark. i felt her to be more of a loving god, thus making the action of her turn away from her people, that much more tragic, but honestly, at this point, i can not wait for her to up and leave the story haha. i mean even anomander seems to be sick of her business and lousy way of dealing with things, and he is the First Son Of Darkness himself!! I always thought her being more of like a galadriel(from LOTR) and at this point she seems more of a Olar Ethil type of personality.
BUT at the same time, it is nice to finally know who she is and how she came about. rather then listen to a bunch baby andiis rattle on about how she used to be or how they thought she would be( seeing as most of the living andii in the series out side of the main andiis*think blue rose* either never really dealt with her or were born after her turning her back on the andii)

And we will probably get all this and a lot more when Fall of Light comes out.

Mother Dark.... when FoD starts, she is already shrouded in darkness. I think the feelings and memories of affection the other Tiste like Rake had for her date back to older times when she was a normal queen and had not become involved with Draconus. For other younger Andii like Korlat it was a mixture of nostalgia and reputation

#7 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 03 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

I felt very sad learning that Sukul Ankhadu had once been very nice.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users