Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Death of a God Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Theman 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:24 AM

Having finished the Crippled God I am confused if Olar Ethil is permanently dead. She got a magic arrow through the head, but I am thinking that only killed her body and not her soul. The reason for this is because when Mael and Killy go after Bloodeye they need a Finnest to make sure his soul doesn't escape and reform somewhere else after they kill him.

It would be nice if somebody could clear this up for me because the vibe I got from the book was she's completely dead. To me it just wouldn't make sense that two elder Gods were unable to completely kill Bloodeye but an arrow is able to kill a being as powerful as Olar Ethil.

Anyways this is my first post so I am sorry if I made any rookie mistakes.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:28 AM

She had bound herself to the T'lan ritual, becoming... lesser. When Fener is sacrificed she becomes mortal with the rest of the T'lan Imass, as she regains her "youthful" appearance.

She dead.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Theman 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

In that lesser state she still believed herself more powerful than Silchas Ruin who was hinted at being stronger than Bloodeye. So it still seem's odd to me for her to be completely dead.

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:39 AM

That was prior to the sacrifice of Fener, and whatever she believes doesn't matter. The Errant thought he could stand up to Paran and that wouldn't bet the case. Megalomania is a bit of a problem with the elder gods.

Maybe we'll find out she's still alive in the Toblakai trilogy and if so I'd be proven wrong. Is she still an elemental force after the Fener thing went down? That'd go a long way toward answering the question.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   Theman 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:57 AM

Well thanks for the replies

So basically we cant be sure yet but she is probably dead, and was bragging herself up way to much. Well that definitely makes sense and goes well with the Elders are to cocky theme, but a part of me wanted Olar Ethil to be just that powerful so i hope shes still out their.

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:53 AM

Well regardless of whether she is 'dead' or not, she was bragging herself up too much. That was very clearly a characteristic of hers all along.

BTW, this is another of those posts that seems to assume that there is a very rigid rulebook of what can/must happen and power hierarchy as to how things work, and that it can be deduced from the books.

If SE ever figured out such rules explicitly (which is itself in doubt), he has intentionally obfuscated them by giving us only character perceptions about what has happened and what the rules, and frequently showing those perceptions to be wrong.

Furthermore, in the example you cite, Gothos gives them that the reason they can't kill Bloodeye is because of the ritual Mael just had him invoke (freezing and preserving everything, 'denying' death. So its not that they could not kill him. They just could not kill him there.

Olar Ethil is killed in a different time and place after a lot else has happened.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 18 August 2015 - 03:04 AM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   Theman 

• Recruit

Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for pointing that out, now it makes sense to me that shes completely dead.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users