• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why did Tavore wait to use Maels Gift? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:37 PM

WHy did she wait for so many of her forces before using maels gift? Was she waiting to make it to the basin, if thats the case a day and a hlaf went by since they were in the basin. I dont get why she waited, she couldve set up a train to shuttle water back and forth if she was worried about getting out after using the gift.

#2 User is offline   Stonehenge 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

if she used it earlier she would have ran out of water again before she crossed the whole glass desert. if she did that more of her troops would have died with no water in sight. she used it when there was absolutely no way they could go any further without water so that her troops would not be dehydrated when they had to do battle.

#3 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

I feel like there were millions of gallons though, like a shit ton of water, they couldve made a little caravan. I just thought it was a long time to wait. Lucky that the few who did make it got that far to begin with.

#4 User is offline   Stonehenge 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

View Posttheocean, on 28 July 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

I feel like there were millions of gallons though, like a shit ton of water, they couldve made a little caravan. I just thought it was a long time to wait. Lucky that the few who did make it got that far to begin with.

Mael's gift did bring them a ton of water but they had a lot of water before crossing the desert and they were still dying of thirst before they got halfway. they didn't have enough people or horses to carry the amount of water that they needed.

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm hazy on the details so may be wrong about it, but I got the impression beside the distance thing Tavore also needed to take everyone to the point of no return in regards to suffering. She intended to free the Crippled God, after all, knowing her army was likely to be wiped out completely while trying. She needed everyone involved to feel and understand his pain and desperation (compare Blistig's actions with the the Crippled God's everall actions - they're basically just on different scales), because otherwise she was running the risk of her army turning on her as soon as they found out what she planned to make them do. Thus, she waited with using Mael's gift until the place was right and even then she waited just that bit until everything was on the edge of tipping over into disaster. One could say the Glass Desert was the Bonehunter's Raraku (and iirc, SE did say there were a lot of parallels/call backs between the beginning and end of the series), so upon reaching the point where everyone thought there was no way to ever return home alive, they became ready to die for Tavore's cause, without actually knowing what that cause was. There simply was no other direction to go into. And Tavore knew she had to reach that point and put everything on this gamble.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   Stonehenge 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:38 PM

View PostPuckstein, on 28 July 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

I'm hazy on the details so may be wrong about it, but I got the impression beside the distance thing Tavore also needed to take everyone to the point of no return in regards to suffering. She intended to free the Crippled God, after all, knowing her army was likely to be wiped out completely while trying. She needed everyone involved to feel and understand his pain and desperation (compare Blistig's actions with the the Crippled God's everall actions - they're basically just on different scales), because otherwise she was running the risk of her army turning on her as soon as they found out what she planned to make them do. Thus, she waited with using Mael's gift until the place was right and even then she waited just that bit until everything was on the edge of tipping over into disaster. One could say the Glass Desert was the Bonehunter's Raraku (and iirc, SE did say there were a lot of parallels/call backs between the beginning and end of the series), so upon reaching the point where everyone thought there was no way to ever return home alive, they became ready to die for Tavore's cause, without actually knowing what that cause was. There simply was no other direction to go into. And Tavore knew she had to reach that point and put everything on this gamble.

I am not remembering this but I like it.

#7 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:57 PM

As I said, I am hazy on the details, but that's what I took away from the book. Last time I ckecked SE wasn't in the habit of spelling out plot points and character's motivations, and tCG takes on a very meta tone in regards to events in the Glass Desert. We are, and that I do remember clearly, told that the Snake (Badalle & friends) got as far as they did because they were a manifestation of D'rek. Connecting the dots, etc.

There's also Fiddler's thoughts, stuff like this:

In that Malazan Book of the Fallen, the historians will write of our suffering, and they will speak of it as the suffering of those who served the Crippled God. As something... fitting. And for our seeming fanaticism they will dismiss all that we were, and think only of what we achieved. Or failed to achieve.
And in so doing, they will miss the whole fucking point.
Fallen One, we are
all your children.

Oh, and also, here we go:

He had to hand it to her. The world was her enemy, and she would face it unblinking. She had led them on to this road of suffering in the name of the Crippled God, and, to that god, what other path could there have been? She was making of them her greatest sacrifice – was it as brutal and as simple as that? He did not think her capable of such a thing. He wanted to refuse the very thought.

Also, I feel like the thread title is kind of spoilerific..?

This post has been edited by Puckstein: 28 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#8 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist

Posted 28 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

View PostPuckstein, on 28 July 2015 - 03:57 PM, said:

As I said, I am hazy on the details, but that's what I took away from the book. Last time I ckecked SE wasn't in the habit of spelling out plot points and character's motivations, and tCG takes on a very meta tone in regards to events in the Glass Desert. We are, and that I do remember clearly, told that the Snake (Badalle & friends) got as far as they did because they were a manifestation of D'rek. Connecting the dots, etc.

There's also Fiddler's thoughts, stuff like this:

In that Malazan Book of the Fallen, the historians will write of our suffering, and they will speak of it as the suffering of those who served the Crippled God. As something... fitting. And for our seeming fanaticism they will dismiss all that we were, and think only of what we achieved. Or failed to achieve.
And in so doing, they will miss the whole fucking point.
Fallen One, we are
all your children.

Oh, and also, here we go:

He had to hand it to her. The world was her enemy, and she would face it unblinking. She had led them on to this road of suffering in the name of the Crippled God, and, to that god, what other path could there have been? She was making of them her greatest sacrifice – was it as brutal and as simple as that? He did not think her capable of such a thing. He wanted to refuse the very thought.

Also, I feel like the thread title is kind of spoilerific..?

That makes it more understandable driving them till nothing left.
I tried to be vague with the title, i didnt think it gave things away, i am not sure if i can change it or not, anyone know?

#9 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:30 PM

Bear in mind that Tavore (and the reader) had no idea what Bugg's (Mael's) gift even was. I myself had completely forgotten about it by the time Lostara Yil whipped it out to use. That's the nature of McGuffins isn't it? To be forgotten until it's time for them to do their thing. Also, had Tavore used it sooner they would have probably all drowned, being that much closer to the center of the basin.

This post has been edited by Kruppe of Darujhistan: 13 September 2016 - 07:42 PM

What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:35 PM

hee...

TAVORE: Halfway there and we're all dying of thirst. Time to use Mael's gift.

*stabs the knife into the ground*

ALL: "Aaaahhhhh we're drowningggggglugglugglug....."

MAEL: oopsie.

Thus Endeth Book 10 Of The Malazan Book of the Fallen.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#11 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:56 PM

It's not our darkest hour yet, Ultra Magnus.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#12 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 September 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

hee...

TAVORE: Halfway there and we're all dying of thirst. Time to use Mael's gift.

*stabs the knife into the ground*

ALL: "Aaaahhhhh we're drowningggggglugglugglug....."

MAEL: oopsie.

Thus Endeth Book 10 Of The Malazan Book of the Fallen.

LOL! Is the Abyss supposed to out-Kruppe Kruppe in zany banter?

Another thing. while the reader is aware that Bugg is the avatar of Mael, and so might suspect the nature of the gift, how would Tavore? As far as the Malazans know, Bugg is just the eccentric aide of the equally eccentric King Tehol of Lether.

This post has been edited by Kruppe of Darujhistan: 13 September 2016 - 08:02 PM

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:21 PM

IIRC, Quick Ben tells Tavore what Bugg really is early in DoD.

#14 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:41 PM

Yeah, Tavore knows Bugg's identity and I'm pretty sure she also knows what the knife will do. They just had to reach the right location. Too early and they'd either have to suddenly cross a massive inland sea or circumvent it, which makes the whole point of the crossing useless; or announce their presence; or still cross a big swathe of desert and simply run out of water again.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#15 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:59 PM

View PostGorefest, on 13 September 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

Yeah, Tavore knows Bugg's identity and I'm pretty sure she also knows what the knife will do. They just had to reach the right location. Too early and they'd either have to suddenly cross a massive inland sea or circumvent it, which makes the whole point of the crossing useless; or announce their presence; or still cross a big swathe of desert and simply run out of water again.

ah, thanks. My excuse is that I have yet to read the series in order. I originally read the ones available in my local library. Then I was half-way through DoD and decided to wait till TCG was released to finish it. Then I bought TCG when it came out but shelved it for 4 years until a couple months ago. Then I read DoD and TCG and much of it made no sense, so decided on re-reading the whole series. But by then I had lent out GotM and DG, so I had to start on MoI. Have read through till the end of RG, but I don't have a copy of TtH at the moment so don't want to move on to DoD until I do. Still, I suspect that DoD and TCG are still not going to make a whole lot of sense in the end. Does this make any sense? God, I love these books!

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:00 PM

They make perfect sense.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#17 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

View Postworry, on 13 September 2016 - 09:00 PM, said:

They make perfect sense.

I'm sure they do. i meant "made no sense" to ME. :killingme:

#18 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

That doesn't make any sense.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#19 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:10 PM

View Postworry, on 13 September 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

I'm in the heavy Infantry. Just tell me where to stand. :killingme:

#20 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:37 AM

View PostKruppe of Darujhistan, on 13 September 2016 - 09:10 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 13 September 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

I'm in the heavy Infantry. Just tell me where to stand. :killingme:

Stand in the corner and read the frikkin books in order.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users