Malazan Empire: Your favourite scenes and bits from ICE's The Novels of the Malazan Empire - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1

Your favourite scenes and bits from ICE's The Novels of the Malazan Empire There will be spoilers from ICE and SE's novels up to this point

#1 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:26 PM

There will be many spoilers for all the Malazan publications up to this point…

I just finished storming through Assail – it was really readable, fast-moving, lots of cool new stories and a fair few nods to er, hoary and cyclopean old ones! I will stew for a while to see if I end up looking back on it even more fondly than my reigning Esslemont champ, Stonewielder (possibly not though). Anyway, to commemorate, I wondered if we could have a thread talking about some of our favourite scenes from the Novels of the Malazan Empire? There is a similiar thread in the forum for The Crippled God, but firstly it naturally has more Erikson material mentioned, and secondly a full half of Esslemont’s series follows TCG in terms of publishing date.

Esslemont has many very fine moments during his six-part saga. Let’s take them out and look at them. Could be a piece of imagery, some dialogue, a neat cameo, etc.

I’ll mention a couple to start, just the general scenes I liked as I don't have the books open in front of me, though there are plenty of others I can think of.

Stonewielder was one of my quickest Malazan reads ever, in no small part thanks to the brilliant scenes at the Wall. Especially the resolution to Hiam’s story, but I devoured all of those Stormrider bits (and I was really pleased to get a Disavowed-eye-view of their involvement in Blood and Bone).

In OST, I immediately think of the Seguleh jogging through the landscape – very cinematic, very cool stuff.

In Blood and Bone, it was the epilogue. Kallor staggering through that crater… serves him right, but in that instant you can’t help wonder if you should feel for the evil old bugger after everything you’ve learned about who he is, what he has done, and tried to do, and what it has caused him to become. Just the fact he was still going made me feel sorry for him.

I also loved, later in the same epilogue, what was once the Army of Righteous Chastisement shambling out onto the beach as a tiny collection of battered, knackered, malnourished, probably driven-to-madness wrecks.

And finally, in Assail, I thought the prologue was the single best piece of writing I’ve read from ICE. This thing is absolutely sizzling with atmosphere, and with the suggestion of ancient tragedy and vendetta, brilliantly sketching out sacrifices and conflicts in a few quick paragraphs. The essence of Malazan storytelling, in other words, and one of the best prologues in any of the books. So that’s two scenes right there (the chase, and then the meeting on the shore)

Anyone else want to mention some and give ICE some love?

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:05 PM

I tend to think of Hiam as ICE's best character, and enjoy every scene he's in. Some of the best scenes at the Wall though are from Shell's POV, especially when she's facing down Stormriders.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

He is definitely one of ICE's best characters.

Speaking of characterisation, one of the best scenes from OST is Studlock at the end, getting ready for his mistress' arrival. The interior dialogue is fabulous. And the scene with his "deadly poisons". I think I enjoyed Studlock more than ever with ICE, and I wish he'd write a Studlock/ Madrun/ Lazan novella or five.

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

ICE scenes:

NoK: Kiska hearing Kellanved walk by

RotCG: Rell fighting Ryllandaras
The Wickan charge
Dassem vs Kallor
Dassem vs Skinner
Priest of Kurald Galain (forgot name trash talking Possum): you'd best fly away, little death crow. Keep to your games in the shallows of shadow. As for myself – I plumb the infinite depths of Night Eternal!’

SW: The Wall: everything on the wall

OST: Seguleh fights,
A shade of Draconus scaring the shit out of Envy
The Moranth bombardment

#5 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:49 AM

Those set-up scenes with the Seguleh are indeed great.

I also love Murk's reaction to Sour turning up having covered himself in mud in Himatan.

#6 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Antsy seeing various Bridgeburners in Moon's Spawn. Particularly the first time when he thinks he's just having a really vivid memory and then BOO it's a ghost.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

By the way, did anyone else notice someone (possibly Fisher) saying "They'll be back. And in greater numbers." Gave me and the wife a good chuckle.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

NoK - Kiska and Tays listening to Kel and Dancer confront Laseen above.

RCG - The finale... Possum connects the dots, decides that Laseen really is the bestest Empress ever, jumps in to help her against Cowl, they're winning!... HOLY FUCK DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?!!?!?

SW - The invasion. "Those Mare have a nicer boat, so we're going to take it from them!"... "Always an even exchange."

OST - When the Second finally finally loses his shit and just shreds a bunch of Moranth.

BnB - Temper vs Cowl. Hee!

Assail - Cussers vs Jaghut Ice Age ritual.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Nerevar 

• Recruit

Posted 03 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Great moment in Stonewielder there... and showed Esslemont's increasing strength with the dialogue (compared to the two that had been done many years prior)

#10 User is offline   Planck 

• Recruit

Posted 04 July 2016 - 05:27 PM

Absolutely loved The Wall being battered by a bunch of tidal waves in Stonewielder.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users