• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forged in FIre

#141 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

They need to address the broken weapon issue. I thought it was silly that between rounds the contestant whose axe broke couldn't get a replacement.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#142 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:54 PM

Agreed. Its interesting to see how much grappling and punching is going on.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#143 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

This weeks Knight Fight was good. 2 really well matched fighters, but I'm beginning to see some flaws in the show.

The producers pick the armor and/or weapons for 2 of the 3 fights. This puts some fighters at an advantage or disadvantage. Kinda sucks that you battle your way to the episode finals and see the show give you both a 2 handed weapon when you are use to fighting sword and board and your opponent prefers to use a 2 handed weapon.

#144 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 February 2019 - 11:55 AM

Good to see J. Neilson is back. He still is the most savage option for the strength test (as evidence by Ben Abbott being moved to the sharpness test upon J.'s return). Which has lead to an interesting lineup of judges this season. David Baker is gone and so now we have Doug Marcaida (kill test), J. Neilson (strength test), and Ben Abbott (sharpness test). I already miss Baker. He has a style and charisma that adds a lot to the show. While Ben Abbott is knowledgeable, he has the personality of a bottle of ranch dressing. Also his stint doing the strength tests had about 1/10th the savagery of J. Neilson's glorious aggression. Abbott's first foray into doing the sharpness test was no way near as awesome as Baker's either. I hope he can figure it out, because I sort of tune out when he's on screen, tbh.

Interesting 2 episode 'redemption challenge' to start the season. Final challenge - first time two different weapons went head to head to determine the final FiF champ.

#145 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:11 PM

Wil Willis: "Michael quenched early, but he's been chasing a delamination on the other side of the forge"
Doug Marcaida: "Looks like he's paying homage to his college fraternity, 'delam delam delambda'."

Doug, you're too badass to be telling 'dad jokes'. Posted Image

Damn though, that was a kick ass episode! That final challenge - Barbarian Sword - may have been (if not the best) one of the best final challenges yet. The testing performed on those swords was something right off the pages of a Conan novel.Posted Image

#146 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 22 April 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 April 2019 - 02:33 AM, said:

Pretty good Ep. 2 really good smiths in the mix being hampered making the large ugly as fuck pocket knife for giants. Ugh I hate friction folders!

Wonder final weapons! Filmed during Hurricane Florence in Sept 2018 to.

So did you two get a giggle out the preview for The Butcher? Ha I know Malankazooie is excited! I wanna see that gator butchered.

I agree about the giant friction folders. Can't stand 'em. The final challenge was quiet close, but the winner's blade cut just a little deeper on the tests and had no negative comments about the handle.
There is no chance I will watch The Butcher, lol.

#147 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Gigantic, ugly, friction folders...why!

#148 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

To make fun of those, Wil Willis should grab a closed one and, in a very crappy Australian accent, say - 'that's not a knife, that's a knife mate" - as he flips it open.

#149 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:11 PM

Lol. This is where the show is doing itself a disservice in airing so many episodes. That first round ended by Wil Willis saying "please turn in your hunk of spring steel and leave the forge" (or something along those lines). The dude failed welding canister with steel springs three times, and then only had time left to cut off a chunk of steel from a larger steel spring. Has there ever been an episode where they let someone turn in a chunk of cut steel which had no form to it or work evident on it at all? Just a hunk of steel?

Then the second round, the guy who had his pants belted above his navel, like a dork, turned over his knife for testing with a handle that was just two blocks of wood shoddily glued to the handle. One look and there was no way it was safe to test.

The show needs to toss these episodes into the trash and not air them. Or maybe do a 'bloopers' type episode where they show some of the worst mishaps and outright struggles some contestants have? I dunno, but they shouldn't be a regularly aired episode. I mean, what's the point of the first half of the show if you have one guy turning in a hunk of steel and another with a handle of shitty blocks of wood glued to the knife?

The challenge to detemine the winner was pretty cool though. I like the Greek Kopis and the final two contestants both did a really good job.

#150 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 May 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostBriar King, on 09 May 2019 - 03:07 AM, said:

Shit I didn't realize it was 2 tonight. Got 2nd set later. Also see that Coast Guard was left out of the battle. That sucks.

The winning officer sword was wicked.

When I heard the premise of an armed forces tournament, I also wondered if the Coast Guard would be included. I suppose the easy excuse is that they need an even number to round down with and they never have more than 4 initial contestants. They COULD include the National Guard and maybe cops and firefighters along with the Coast Guard to make another set of 4, but then they'd be a little outside the "armed forces", I guess.
Yeah, the winning damascus saber was VERY nice.

#151 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Now we're cooking with gas! <<<< see what I did there? Posted ImagePosted Image

After that boring af military tournament, the show is back to normal. What could the Coast Guard show us anyway? How to tie various maritime knots on a hunk of steel? efff that snizz. Dumb tournament was dumb.

Anyway, final challenge was fire - the Nagamaki. Maybe the best testing yet. All three (kill, strength and sharpness) were impressive.

Doug: Alright Braxton, you're Nagamaki here is definitely not.... boaring.

Oh Doug, you have my heart every week with "it will keel", but when you throw in these gems, you might as well take me and do with me what you will.

The competition to get to the final two though was still lacking and sort of crappy (doofy guy's handle broke off in first test). I almost think they should just do away with that now and just give us two for the final weapon build. Maybe show a highlight of a pool of competitors trying to make it to the final two and then just focus on the build and testing of the final weapon.

On an observational note, how come that Ben Abbot guy always reaches across his body and holds his ribs with his free hand when he does the testing? Looks dumb a shit.

#152 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 06 June 2019 - 11:23 PM

Rad final weapon challenge - Attila's Sword of Mars. And Wil's background history that Attila the Hun was known as the 'scourge of god' was also rad. But the build and execution was lacking.

As always, the episode started out with another crap result from the preliminary rounds. Cool concept - fantasy blades and have to combine meteorite into the blade, but damn I knew that dork's goofy handle with blade that curved back the other way was going to fail miserably in the tests. And it looked goofy AF too. And one of the other contestants made a 'fish head' fantasy blade that Doug likened to a sex toy paddle. Posted Image

#153 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:39 PM

Another rather sub-par episode.

PTSD guy forgets what a Kukri looks like and turns in shit and is eliminated. Then the next guy eliminated basically glued a block as a handle to his blade and it hurts the hands of Ben and Doug during testing.

Final challenge was looking to be sweet, especially when Doug said: Ram-dao, meet ram carcass. Then proceeded to decapitate the head of the ram and go all brutally hack-hack-hack on it. But then it all ended there when it's revealed the other dumbass contestant missed a simple parameter on his blade and is told to leave the forge without one bit of testing on his Ram-dao.

#154 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

View PostBriar King, on 06 May 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

Finally along the lines of something I've been asking for for years is happening. The judges will be on the forge floor in a separate series starting 6/3.

Yes, Beat the Judges its called, right? I saw a preview for that and forgot to mention it here. I'm very interested to see the judges in action. Though I'd say Ben Abbott has probably proven himself, having won the show comp twice.

#155 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

*thread necro

I think interest in this thread died off quite awhile ago, but just in case anyone still comes here, I posted this to the Television thread, I'm gonna check it out: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1408170

#156 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 June 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

*thread necro

I think interest in this thread died off quite awhile ago, but just in case anyone still comes here, I posted this to the Television thread, I'm gonna check it out: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1408170

I still watch the show but there hasn't been much worth coming to comment about for a while. I'm in for Beat the Judges, for sure.

#157 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:08 AM

Cool. Yeah, I've missed a lot of recent episodes, it just was too poor quality and predictable. When I can, I will DVR the episodes and jump to the end to watch final weapon challenges. If this Beat the Judges is fun, it would be fantastic to get some animated discussion going again in this dead thread. Get it back to jumping up to the top of the active threads list is this topic area, like the old days.Posted Image

#158 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:42 AM

Watched the episode. Ben Abbott is a bad ass.

#159 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 June 2020 - 02:42 AM, said:

Watched the episode. Ben Abbott is a bad ass.

Totally agree! I really like the format of this new show. Past champions get to bring something they've spent all the time they want on for the first set of tests and then 2 move on. And the final challenge against the judge; 8 hours to make a complete short sword with a damascus blade?! Wow. Yes, Ben Abbott is pretty awesome!

#160 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, the format is awesome. Some of those weapons forged by the contestants to start the show were beautiful. Then to see Doug Marcaida put them through their paces.... really cool. Excited to see what the next three contestant will start with.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users