• You cannot reply to this topic

Forged in FIre

#301 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

Yep.

Hoping for a better trailer on tonightís FiF.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#302 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 07 May 2020 - 02:11 PM

Those hidden dagger tabars were pretty wicked.

#303 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:47 PM

*thread necro

I think interest in this thread died off quite awhile ago, but just in case anyone still comes here, I posted this to the Television thread, I'm gonna check it out: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1408170

#304 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 03 June 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

*thread necro

I think interest in this thread died off quite awhile ago, but just in case anyone still comes here, I posted this to the Television thread, I'm gonna check it out: https://forum.malaza...ost__p__1408170

I still watch the show but there hasn't been much worth coming to comment about for a while. I'm in for Beat the Judges, for sure.

#305 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:08 AM

Cool. Yeah, I've missed a lot of recent episodes, it just was too poor quality and predictable. When I can, I will DVR the episodes and jump to the end to watch final weapon challenges. If this Beat the Judges is fun, it would be fantastic to get some animated discussion going again in this dead thread. Get it back to jumping up to the top of the active threads list is this topic area, like the old days.Posted Image

#306 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:42 AM

Watched the episode. Ben Abbott is a bad ass.

#307 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 June 2020 - 02:42 AM, said:

Watched the episode. Ben Abbott is a bad ass.

Totally agree! I really like the format of this new show. Past champions get to bring something they've spent all the time they want on for the first set of tests and then 2 move on. And the final challenge against the judge; 8 hours to make a complete short sword with a damascus blade?! Wow. Yes, Ben Abbott is pretty awesome!

#308 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 June 2020 - 05:37 PM

Yeah, the format is awesome. Some of those weapons forged by the contestants to start the show were beautiful. Then to see Doug Marcaida put them through their paces.... really cool. Excited to see what the next three contestant will start with.

#309 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

Well, that was a let down. Come on guy, you can't miss parameters, especially when you are a past champion who is chosen to go up against one of the judges. The fact that it was a blade length parameter that was missed is even more disheartening, as that is a common parameter requirement that is incorporated into every challenge. He did hit the weight parameter exactly at the weight limit (3 lbs.), so maybe he was completely distracted by that and it led to the length snafu? Never seen the weight requirement before, which I think would be good to implement going forward because in past episodes the judges often complain that the weapon is too heavy.

David Baker did not disappoint in this. That medieval arming sword was beautiful and performed beyond reproach in that kill test. Would have liked to see it continue with the strength and sharpness tests. Stupid contestant, parameter fail buzzkill.Posted Image

#310 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 12 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 11 June 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

Well, that was a let down. Come on guy, you can't miss parameters, especially when you are a past champion who is chosen to go up against one of the judges. The fact that it was a blade length parameter that was missed is even more disheartening, as that is a common parameter requirement that is incorporated into every challenge. He did hit the weight parameter exactly at the weight limit (3 lbs.), so maybe he was completely distracted by that and it led to the length snafu? Never seen the weight requirement before, which I think would be good to implement going forward because in past episodes the judges often complain that the weapon is too heavy.

David Baker did not disappoint in this. That medieval arming sword was beautiful and performed beyond reproach in that kill test. Would have liked to see it continue with the strength and sharpness tests. Stupid contestant, parameter fail buzzkill.Posted Image

I spoiled myself by reading the first sentence of your comment before watching the episode. As I watched, I thought for sure he was going to miss the weight requirement but instead he missed length by 3/8 of an inch. Ouch. Again, 8 hours to make a complete sword. I agree that a weight requirement might be a good idea for some, if not all, the final challenge weapons. I recall at least one contestant lost without ever having his weapon tested because it was so heavy. The quality and even beauty of the swords the 2 judges have managed to produce in that amount of time is unbelievable. Its an absolute pleasure to watch them go about their business. Jay Nielson's got to be up next. I'm looking forward to that.

#311 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 June 2020 - 02:54 PM

Yeah, to be able to do that work in 8 hours is insane. The weight requirement would be nice going forward. It seems like often times the weapons look great and would be a nice display piece but do not have much function because of encumbrance.

I hope J. Neilson is up next. I really want to see (I guess it would be Ben Abbott?) put his weapon through the strength test. Ben no where near brings the aggression J. does, but hopefully he will put a little extra hot sauce on it. Do it for the fans Ben! J deserves it!

#312 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

As expected, we got Jay Neilson in this episode. First I must say, Burt (Bert?) the champion who goes up against Jay makes absolutely beautiful knives/swords. His matched pair of duel swords for the 2nd round were spectacular! I would've strongly considered buying them, I liked them so much, not that I could afford what they're likely worth. And he was a judge of Jay's work at Jay's master smith trial?! I assume that means Burt is a master smith himself? I don't think that was ever stated. I like how close these judgings are with such quality work competing. One single mistake, that the eventual loser was aware of at the time it was made, was the difference.

#313 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 19 June 2020 - 06:37 PM

That entry knife that Burt entered with had one of the most beautiful Damascus patterns I've seen on the show...stunning, breath taking. Do an image search of Burt Foster knives and you can see more of his amazing work. Dude is ridiculously talented.

J. Neilson showed his skill when he torch tempered for speed, which requires an expert eye, as opposed to placing the blades in the tempering oven, which normally takes four hours according to the judges discussion of the tool. Also, J. used WD40 instead of flux for the welds. I've never seen that on the show. Is that something J. has always kept to himself? (what a dick *j/k Posted Image) or do they not allow that during a normal competition? Seemed to work a lot better then flux.

I knew those deep finger wells J. Neilson was lamenting about his fighting knives as he was working were going to be his undoing. Damn, I wish Ben Abbott would have given J. more good-natured ribbing before the strength test.

That kill test though was the main atraction, imo. That kill test should be watched by any fantasy writer worth their salt who wants inspiration on how to approach a fighting scene in their work. Those fighting knives and how Doug violated that ballastic dummy might have very well been the most bad ass test ever executed on the show.

#314 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 19 June 2020 - 07:25 PM

Iím glad he was number uno to lose. Always my least fav judge. Would like to see Jason Knight come make a blade.

#315 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:06 AM

Boring ass episode. Surfed half the time. How obvious was it that these guys aged since they last on xcept that sixer?

Baker had a cake walk through this shit.

#316 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 02 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

Nice ep. that was a pity win decision though just so ole Jay didnít get his feelings hurt. That blade looked like shit.

Jason Knight got a brief flashback.

Also anyone else get some grin time in seeing Dougís face light up when ole dude that should have won brought that sexy blade in at the beginning? Doug looked so happy.

#317 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 07 July 2020 - 12:52 PM

View PostNot a Sheep, on 02 July 2020 - 05:15 PM, said:

Nice ep. that was a pity win decision though just so ole Jay didn't get his feelings hurt. That blade looked like shit.

Jason Knight got a brief flashback.

Also anyone else get some grin time in seeing Doug's face light up when ole dude that should have won brought that sexy blade in at the beginning? Doug looked so happy.

Yeah, Jay's blade was no work of art but in fairness he made that one in 5 and a half hours instead of 8. If the (over) weight issue hadn't cost plenty of others in the past, I might cry foul on Jay getting the win but...

#318 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:17 AM

Iím only 7 minutes into the ep but holy shit Doug is rocking it...literally. You can see his pure joy on this test with the guitar strings lol.

Also this one guy just made me think. He says no one has won 3 times and he wants to be 1st but Ben Abott can literally claim this now but Wil still introduces him as 2 time winner pre recorded intro...so I wonder if they will update this when S7 starts? Possibly even 4 time winner after tonightís episode but even if he doesnít he has earned the new 3 time winner intro imo. Thoughts?

#319 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:42 AM

Mother fucker who won? The signal cut out to green and pink blobs right when they were deciding with no sound to boot. Fuck

#320 User is online   Briar King 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 30 July 2020 - 09:04 PM

Ah boi anyone else watch last nights episode? Channeling the regular season and Beat the Judges! It was a fun one.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users