• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forged in FIre

#1 User is offline   The Unfound 

• Recruit
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

Im know there are a couple of back to basics geeks around here. My buddy just brought my attention to this show. Normally I hate reality TV but Ive been playing around with the idea of setting up a forge in my backyard and I love knives so this show is pretty fucking awesome to me. Just figured I would bring it to the attention of those that might enjoy it. Oh and its on the History channel if anyone gets interested.
That psychotic black dwarf with an afro?

#2 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostThe Unfound, on 27 July 2015 - 03:39 AM, said:

Im know there are a couple of back to basics geeks around here. My buddy just brought my attention to this show. Normally I hate reality TV but Ive been playing around with the idea of setting up a forge in my backyard and I love knives so this show is pretty fucking awesome to me. Just figured I would bring it to the attention of those that might enjoy it. Oh and its on the History channel if anyone gets interested.

As a lifelong lover of bladed weapons and especially swords, I've been watching this with great interest. I agree its a great show. I only wish they explained more of the basic details (types of metals usable, temps required to work each type etc) but since its a one hour show, I get that there's no time for that. The tests the judges put the finished weapons through are quite rigorous. Definitely worth watching if you're interested in blacksmithing or blades at all.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

Let me know when they make something that has to be forged in the fires of Tarterus and then quenched in the blood of their enemies.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:10 PM

Huh, missed this thread when it was active.
Is the show good, now that you all may have seen more of them?

What is it like a contest reality show?
Start off w/ 10 blacksmiths and each week someone is booted off? Each week they have a challenge to make a certain type of weapon?

huh, not to derail, but there was a show a year or two ago, about jousting (reality competition). Did that only make it one season? I liked that show. Anyone know what I'm talking about and know the fate of it?
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#5 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostBulwyf, on 23 September 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Huh, missed this thread when it was active.
Is the show good, now that you all may have seen more of them?

What is it like a contest reality show?
Start off w/ 10 blacksmiths and each week someone is booted off? Each week they have a challenge to make a certain type of weapon?

huh, not to derail, but there was a show a year or two ago, about jousting (reality competition). Did that only make it one season? I liked that show. Anyone know what I'm talking about and know the fate of it?

Well, for the reasons I stated above, I found it very interesting and thought it was a good show. Yes, it was basically a 4 man competition. They all started with 3 hours to make a knife within the judges' given parameters (length of blade, overall length, etc.) and with either the same materials or a choice from a few types. The least satisfactory was eliminated after that. The remaining 3 were given more time (2 hours, I think?) to complete the knife with a handle and work on the blade, if need be. Those 3 blades would be tested by the judges for flaws, strength, holding an edge, etc. Another elimination. The final 2 were given a specific type of weapon from history (usually a type of sword, but not every time) to make at their own home forge in 5 days. Then they came back and had those put through some pretty rigorous testing with 1 being declared the winner. I think there were maybe 10 episodes and I certainly hope they do more. I was hoping for a competition among all the winners but that didn't happen. Too soon perhaps.

I do recall a show about jousting being on but I didn't watch it and haven't heard of it for quite a while. I probably assumed it was like going to Medieval Times (which I've done multiple times). Out of necessity, I figured that's more like stunt work since no one wants to end up crippled or dead from jousting.

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:51 PM

View PostAbyss, on 27 July 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Let me know when they make something that has to be forged in the fires of Tarterus Mount Doom and then quenched in the blood of their enemies Elves.

Attached File(s)

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:29 AM

Forged in Fire returns Feb 16th on History Channel, for those that are interested.

#8 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 09 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

ooohhhhh...
I'll have to check it out this time around.
Thanks!
Now they will know why they are are afraid of the dark. Now they will learn why they fear the night. -Thulsa Doom

You're such an inspiration for the ways that I would never, ever choose to be. -MJK

#9 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

View PostBulwyf, on 09 February 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

ooohhhhh...
I'll have to check it out this time around.
Thanks!

I recommend it if you're into bladed weapons or blacksmithing in general. The 2 finished products of the final challenge are usually damn fine weapons.

#10 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

its on the History channel if anyone gets interested.

Hitler was a blacksmith?
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#11 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:31 AM

View PostGnaw, on 11 February 2016 - 01:18 AM, said:

its on the History channel if anyone gets interested.

Hitler was a blacksmith?

No but Napoleon made the finest little daggers...

#12 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:08 AM

The Scottish Claymore is the final challenge weapon in tonight's episode! Excellent!

#13 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 02 March 2016 - 01:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2016 - 12:29 AM, said:

Fuck like I really needed another tv show to watch...,fuck you dude.

I've been watching since s2 start and I like it.

With the amount of shows you keep up with, I figured you'd found a way to live 36 hour days! C'mon, at least with this one you can learn a hint of something about blacksmithing or metals or something... Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Blend 

• Gentleman of High House Mafia
  • View gallery

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:39 PM

Claymores did NOT withstand their tests very well! It's a shame, would have been fun to see those actually pass some tests!

I've watched all of season 1, and have been watching this season religiously! This is one of the greatest, most interesting shows to come out of History Channel in a while!

My favourite weapon they had to make so far was the Moro Kris or maybe the Katar.
There is no struggle too vast, no odds too overwhelming, for even should we fail - should we fall - we will know that we have lived. ~ Anomander Rake
My sig comes from a game in which I didn't heed Blend's advice. So maybe this time I should. ~ Khellendros
I'm just going to have to come to terms with the fact that self-vote suiciding will forever be referred to as "pulling a JPK" now, aren't I? ~ JPK

#15 User is offline   Bulwyf 

• ½ man, ½ amazing

Posted 02 March 2016 - 03:40 PM

Haven't watched latest sc 2 yet, but my DVR did pull up a bunch of season 1, guess they aired a mini marathon of season 1.

....just when I was making some progress in clearing out my DVR, it got filled back up again....

Good problem to have I guess...

#16 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:31 PM

View PostBlend, on 02 March 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

Claymores did NOT withstand their tests very well! It's a shame, would have been fun to see those actually pass some tests!

I've watched all of season 1, and have been watching this season religiously! This is one of the greatest, most interesting shows to come out of History Channel in a while!

My favourite weapon they had to make so far was the Moro Kris or maybe the Katar.

This episode was by far the most challenging they've ever done. Between the coal forge, no power tools for the first round of knife making to the claymore with its lengthy blade, those guys were really tested. It was a shame those blades didn't hold up well through the tests. It almost looked like the weapons expert couldn't get the blade edge against the pig carcass and actually caught it with the flat. Goes to show what a challenge it must've been to wield a sword that big in battle.

#17 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:39 PM

I checked out the 1st episode of S1 on the back of this thread and was surprised, really enjoyed it. Got the rest to watch now...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#18 User is offline   The Unfound 

• Recruit

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

Im actually a little surprised a second season happened. Now that I no longer have cable I will have to see if I can find it on a streaming channel.

This post has been edited by The Unfound: 03 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

That psychotic black dwarf with an afro?

#19 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:19 AM

A bit of proof that you can actually learn something from this show. In the latest episode when the competitors are taking their knife material from a car, two people took coil springs and tried to combine the pieces together. I actually knew it wouldn't work out because they didn't "twist braid" the strands (which people in previous episodes had shown) during heating, so they separated again during "flattening/drawing out".

I was pretty impressed that the 20 year old recovered from that and produced a really nice knife after going back to square one. It's a shame his Viking sword couldn't be tested in the final challenge.

#20 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:29 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 March 2016 - 01:23 AM, said:

All 4 knives looked really good

Agreed. The judges had to dig pretty deep to find enough of a flaw to boot someone in the first two rounds.

Share this topic:

• 11 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users