Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Please tell me this gets better

#1 User is offline   Disgruntled 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

I've really enjoyed the series to this point, and have loved spending time in the Malazan world.
However, I'm almost halfway through RG, and I think I've hit a wall. To borrow Erikson's style of emphasis, this book is very...ponderous. I'm OK with the lack of action, but the constant ruminating, navel-gazing, and philosophizing is overwhelming the narrative. Even the big action sequence so far (the battle with Redmask) was burdened with way too much description of battle alignments.
Even through all of this, I'm still loving the series, but it really has hit a "slog" period. Oh well, just needed to vent, onward!

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Things change a lot in the second half

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:29 PM

View PostDisgruntled, on 23 July 2015 - 03:04 PM, said:

I've really enjoyed the series to this point, and have loved spending time in the Malazan world.
However, I'm almost halfway through RG... I'm still loving the series, but it really has hit a "slog" period. Oh well, just needed to vent, onward!

It's not slog, it's setup for awesome.
Carry on, you won't be disappointed.

...Unless you are, in which case please present yourself for mandatory mindrinse and reprogramming at the earliest convenient time.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Disgruntled 

• Recruit

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:54 PM

Oh, I'm definitely carrying on. And I agree, everything is teed up extremely well for a satisfying second half. I'm just ready for the plot to start moving (and I'm not someone who minds Erikson's dense, intricate style generally, but it's become overload in this book).

Side question - There is a short narrative in RG about Stayandi, which was one of the little bits that seemed like filler. I did a Kindle search and found no further references to Stayandi in the remainder of the book. Without spoiling details, will this become significant at some point in RG, the series or in I.C.E's books? It seems like out of left field, and I'm wondering if a couple of books from now I'm going to be having to Google Stayandi to remember what the the heck it was.

#5 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

View PostDisgruntled, on 23 July 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

Side question - There is a short narrative in RG about Stayandi, which was one of the little bits that seemed like filler. I did a Kindle search and found no further references to Stayandi in the remainder of the book. Without spoiling details, will this become significant at some point in RG, the series or in I.C.E's books? It seems like out of left field, and I'm wondering if a couple of books from now I'm going to be having to Google Stayandi to remember what the the heck it was.

SPOILERS ALL BOOKS
Spoiler

SPOILERS ALL BOOKS

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 23 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

#6 User is offline   Felisin Fatter 

• Captain

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

Stayandi is the settler child, right? If so: YES, it will be relevant, at some point in the series. You won't find anything, because she changes her name.

#7 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

View PostDisgruntled, on 23 July 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

SPOILERS ALL BOOKS
Spoiler

SPOILERS ALL BOOKS

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 24 July 2015 - 01:35 PM

#8 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:51 PM

Stayandi is important in Erikson's books. Read onwards.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#9 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 23 July 2015 - 06:54 PM

There is no such thing as filler in RG or the following books. Everything either serves to set up things, flesh out the setting or challenge your preconceptions. Enjoy.

This post has been edited by Puckstein: 23 July 2015 - 06:59 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#10 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:55 PM

Better get yourself a case of Red Bull for when you hit Dust of Dreams then.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

You can skip the chapter on whale anatomy.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

It's all setup. Setups for frame traps, meaties, whatever terminology you're using, Erikson is doing it. Wait for your mandatory T-booster. And don't Bugg out on us.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#13 User is offline   NerMyth 

• Recruit

Posted 07 November 2016 - 04:56 AM

This book was one of my favorites. I love the philosophizing. The scene with Fisher Kel Teth and Duiker where they discuss why Duiker is having such a hard time writing the history of Coltaine when he was there for it almost made me cry. I enjoyed this book from start to finish. I have not finished the entire series yet, I'm on book 9, but there is a lot of set-up in this novel that is important.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users