Malazan Empire: Just Finished, Couple Questions - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just Finished, Couple Questions Spoilers for this book...

#1 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:25 PM

First of all, this book was awesome. I love how Erikson tricks me into thinking this book takes place way in the past, then all the sudden the crimson guard shows up, that shit blew my mind. Same thing happened when i House of Chains, the whole Karsa Orlong opening had me thinking they were in the past cause of how ignorant they were to life outside their plateau. Isolation is a bitch it seems.

anyway first question, Who killed Gerun? I'm assuming it was because he was the one that killed Kettle, but was it Bugg or Ubala?

also is the Errant pretty much Oppon? or is he his own God?

just a couple other comments.. it was great to see that Fear turned out to be so much more complex than he let on throughout the book, he disappointed me so many times throughout, but redeemed himself in my eyes in the end. Ruhland was also another complex character who also surprised me at times. Very well written book. Loved the dynamic between the brothers and the slave and ruhland.

This post has been edited by Kruppe'sStainedClothing: 13 July 2015 - 03:27 PM

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 July 2015 - 03:31 PM

View PostKruppe, on 13 July 2015 - 03:25 PM, said:

First of all, this book was awesome. I love how Erikson tricks me into thinking this book takes place way in the past, then all the sudden the crimson guard shows up, that shit blew my mind.

Isn't it great?... you have this whole new setting with the barest connection to the main storyline to date then suddenly HOLY DRAGONNUTS IT'S THOSE GUYS!

... Who killed Gerun? I'm assuming it was because he was the one that killed Kettle, but was it Bugg or Ubala?

Nope.
Gerun was killed by that half-breed Tarthenal that Bugg met when he went to visit the refugees. Gerun had killed his mother on one of his random sprees.

It's a little confusing because the Half-breed's description is very similar to Ublala's. There's no hint that Bugg had anything to do with it that i can recall.

The Errant is not Oponn. They have similar aspects. RAFO re this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:29 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 July 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

... Who killed Gerun? I'm assuming it was because he was the one that killed Kettle, but was it Bugg or Ubala?

Nope.
Gerun was killed by that half-breed Tarthenal that Bugg met when he went to visit the refugees. Gerun had killed his mother on one of his random sprees.

It's a little confusing because the Half-breed's description is very similar to Ublala's. There's no hint that Bugg had anything to do with it that i can recall.

FYI, his name is Unn.

View PostAbyss, on 13 July 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

The Errant is not Oponn. They have similar aspects. RAFO re this.

In some ways, it is a bit like Errant = fate, Oponn = pure luck

Of course, they both rig their respective games, so when they get directly involved you could say it is the very opposite of luck/fate.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

thank you guys for the explanations

i completely forgot about that scene with bugg and the woman that was killed.

the only reason i thought bugg might of killed him was because he just happened to be the only person said to be in that area besides mayan, tehol, the old man, and the edur.

errant as fate, and oponn as luck makes a lot more sense, considering that oponn is the twins, and errant is a singular entity.

anyone know why the Nerek took it upon themselves to kill Hull Beddict?

also Forkrull Assail are the creepiest things encountered in the book so far IMO

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostKruppe, on 14 July 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

anyone know why the Nerek took it upon themselves to kill Hull Beddict?

Oh gods.... This.
My best guess was that Hull had given up all compassion and sense of justice in his quest for vengeance, but that was all just cover for his guilt over how the Letherii ruined the tribes he led them to.
This made him as bad or worse than the Letherii and the Nerek judged him poorly and refused to accept his 'justice' on their behalf.
This is a best guess.... It's a vague area and others have different interns of just what happened there.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   R3per_Inc 

• Recruit

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:53 AM

In the german translation the Nereks are discribed as some sort of simpletons, that didnīt understand what the Letheri empire had done to them. So Hull and the Empire are something good to them. And then Hull betrays there "glorious" empire.

#7 User is offline   Kruppe'sStainedClothing 

• Recruit

Posted 16 July 2015 - 12:25 AM

appreciate the help, i thought that whole part with Hull and the Nereks was a bit too contrived, i assumed honestly more would've went into the fact that Mayen blessed them, but maybe thats just supposed to go with Gano's new found ability

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users