• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Fallout 4 - Confirmed

#141 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

View PostMaark, on 08 January 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

Another settlement needs our help, General.

Exactly. I like it. Cait and I take names :(
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#142 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:57 AM

View PostTattersail_, on 08 January 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 08 January 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

I'm not going to peek at that as I'm still getting on well with this. I usually prefer the first part of the game anyway, where you actually feel underpowered and vulnerable, compared to walking over everything later on.

I don't really like using fast travel in these games but it feels like I'm being forced to in some circumstances with this one.

Right now I've trekked all the way to a new settlement, but I can't use the workstation until I complete a building clearance, and my inventory is now full. I guess I can just leave all my junk on the ground at the settlement - but will it be there when I get back?

I managed to kill a behemoth on my way there (i cheated and hid inside a cabin, shooting him through the holes in the walls while he stalked outside) and picked up a lovely sniper rifle, which I can't wait to upgrade.

I usually dump all my junk in the Sanctuary work station or weapon upgrading station. I've built at least four houses with defenses outside them like Turrets and guard posts. The Sanctuary has lots of water pumps, water purifier, generators galore, artillery, a radio beacon to attract new people etc.

Its where I send any companion when I give them a rest. Where I upgrade me armour, grow food, and upgrade my weapons.

I was dumping my stuff at Sanctuary, but when I find a new place it's useful to have the basics to set up some defence etc.. and it's a long way back to just pick stuff up.

So at the moment I haven't fully developed any settlements, but they all have the beacon, some form of defence, and food and water.

I've been using an upgraded hunting rifle for sniping, but this new one I found is already more powerful without any upgrades.

(I may have been playing too much - I was at work yesterday when I saw a fan, and instinctively thought about scavenging it for parts.)
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#143 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:07 PM

I developed an MO for every settlement I upgraded.

One generator and a beacon. 30 beds. 10 water pumps. 30 mute fruits. Scavenging stations. Artillery.

Then I'd build 4 towers and place them at the corners of the settlement. Basically just the "pre-built roof with no walls"-template stacked 3 high. On top of it I'd place 4 turrets pointing in different directions. Depending upon the settlement I'd place additional turrets here and there on roofs, etc. Usually 20-25 turrets in all.

It worked brilliantly. When ever I'd get called to a settlement, I'd teleport in and find my towers just ripping everything apart.

#144 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

I just don't have the material for building on that scale yet.. but that sounds great.

I'm just figuring out how to make lights/switches work, but I'll look at building better towers than the ones in the 'pre-built' menu - some settlements are quite big and don't have obvious entrances to defend so it looks like you have to guess where an attack will come from.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#145 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:07 PM

Yeah, I never bothered trying to secure a perimeter with walls or anything. Instead I just cleared out any trees or bushes so that there was a free fire killzone surrounding the settlement.

I cheated and played with 20,000 carrying capacity. So I always just hoovered up all items and junk where ever I went. I did have to buy shipments of Aliminum, oil and steel once in a while but I rarely had problem building anything.

#146 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:12 PM

What system is this best played on? I have an xbox one and my laptop is an asus gaming rig. Wanted to see if I'd like this one.
If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#147 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:23 PM

View PostApt, on 08 January 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

Yeah, I never bothered trying to secure a perimeter with walls or anything. Instead I just cleared out any trees or bushes so that there was a free fire killzone surrounding the settlement.

I cheated and played with 20,000 carrying capacity. So I always just hoovered up all items and junk where ever I went. I did have to buy shipments of Aliminum, oil and steel once in a while but I rarely had problem building anything.

Heh, I thought as much! I do try and hoover everything up, I just have to have a clear out before I explore anywhere new.

is it possible to get rid of bushes and those awful sticks that poke through whatever building you put over them? Also one of my settlements has ghoul corpses draped all over everything.

#148 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostArthur Dayne, on 08 January 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

What system is this best played on? I have an xbox one and my laptop is an asus gaming rig. Wanted to see if I'd like this one.

I've heard that the X-box runs better than the PS4 but if your laptop is stronger than your X-box I'd pick the laptop. Simply because the load times on the consoles are atrocious. It's bad on the PC with a SSD but there's 30-60 second loadtimes on console.

And Fallout 4 loads A LOT.

View PostTraveller, on 08 January 2016 - 07:23 PM, said:

Heh, I thought as much! I do try and hoover everything up, I just have to have a clear out before I explore anywhere new.

is it possible to get rid of bushes and those awful sticks that poke through whatever building you put over them? Also one of my settlements has ghoul corpses draped all over everything.

Are you playing on PC?

I know there's some kind of Mod or console command that allows you to click on the environmental clutter (the stuff that is meant to be there and can't be scrapped) and remove it.

If I had actually cared about building pretty settlements I would have used it to clean up the floors in the houses.

#149 User is offline   Arthur Dayne 

• Nuclear Baconator
  • Interests:Cows and their subsequent steak, and pigs with their glorious bacon making capabilities.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

I take it there must be a good amount of mods for the PC version. I may just have to pick up that version for the flexibility of it. Maybe it will get me off of World of Warcraft.
If your cat wasn't meant to fly, why wouldn't they make them bigger?

#150 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostApt, on 08 January 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

I've heard that the X-box runs better than the PS4 but if your laptop is stronger than your X-box I'd pick the laptop. Simply because the load times on the consoles are atrocious. It's bad on the PC with a SSD but there's 30-60 second loadtimes on console.

Are you playing on PC?

I know there's some kind of Mod or console command that allows you to click on the environmental clutter (the stuff that is meant to be there and can't be scrapped) and remove it.

If I had actually cared about building pretty settlements I would have used it to clean up the floors in the houses.

Nah I'm on ps4. I'm not too bothered but it seems a bit stupid that the game lets you put down a timber floor and a bed, and the scrub plants are still there poking up through all the furniture. (Maybe it's my archaeological experience showing - when cleaning down a surface or feature for pictures I'd always have to clip all the roots and clutter back to nothing - I think I'm doing the same here)

#151 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:38 PM

I play xbox one

#152 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

View PostTraveller, on 08 January 2016 - 08:28 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 08 January 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

Are you playing on PC?

Nah I'm on ps4. I'm not too bothered but it seems a bit stupid that the game lets you put down a timber floor and a bed, and the scrub plants are still there poking up through all the furniture. (Maybe it's my archaeological experience showing - when cleaning down a surface or feature for pictures I'd always have to clip all the roots and clutter back to nothing - I think I'm doing the same here)

I agree. I put down an uneven floor once. I didn't bother again.

Have you found the Freedom Trail yet? I'm right next to the beginning but I cannot activate the robot. (I think I did ages ago and he won't reactivate)

Possibly cause it's night though.

#153 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:51 PM

Not yet. I just spent a stupid amount of time putting a wall round Sanctuary, and building stuff. The lights are still hit and miss; I can get lights to work, but not switches.

At least I have solid defences now, no idea if it will ever actually be attacked though.

#154 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 March 2016 - 02:43 PM

Automatron DLC Trailer.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 14 March 2016 - 02:44 PM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#155 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:36 PM

Finally got around to playing this (both on the toaster I call my PC and my new PS4) and some pro-tips:

1. Power cores are ammo for a late-game gun so take Scrounger if you want to get tons, they're also the most cost effective ammo as with high Cha (even 1 Cha with fancy clothes and the second best drugs in the game (see 2) in your system) you can get one for 250-300 caps worth 500 shots each while the best you can get for all other ammo is 1:1 caps to shots

2. Make grape mentats (Cha +5, better selling and buying) from mentats hubflowers and whiskey to destroy charisma checks, and make psycho jet and psychobuff from psycho, jet and buffout, then on tricky fights (like mirelurk queens you're doing a fraction of their health per hit) chug all three as they stack, then smack a giant enemy crab with a rocket engine-power hammer for most of its health while screaming FUCKING KILL in slomo

3. Super Sledges (the aforementioned jet hammer) are slow swing speed in first person at all times and third person while on foot, but medium speed while in third person and in power armour, yes this is a fun time

4. Idiot Savant is least effective statistically around 6-7 int but is still a flat improvement at all int levels, including having an int of 15 - also it can trigger occasionally on quest rewards, my 1 int melee murderer handed in two quests that both proc'd and gained 1.8 levels

5. Get the 9 Agi skill Blitz and the 9 Str skill Rooted, which gives you incredible range for your VATS and also (since each attack in VATS is treated as you being stationary) gaining extra damage and resistance each attack as you warp between your targets

6. Progress in the Railroad questline enough to complete PAM's first supply cache quest, then talk to Tinker Tom - he'll give you an option to upgrade items with ballistic weave and let you do it yourself, this means you can improve a few hats and several items of clothing with, at level 4 Armourer, literally 110 def and energy def - military and army fatigues both let you use all armour slots and give you 2 Agi or 1 Str/1 Agi, and then the newsboy cap on top means you're pretty well protected and armoured up

7. Be lucky enough that the fight that gives you enough exp to reach the last level of Big Guns (double damage to heavy weapons) is also off a Legendary Annihilator Sentrybot who drops an Instigating Fat Man - that is, a man-portable mini nuke launcher that does double damage if the target has full health - otherwise hope for a Wounding combat shotgun (each pellet adds the 25 point bleed effect, they stack and nothing resists it), a Never-Ending double-barreled shotgun (clipsize = ammo count and no reloads, as you may have guessed the boom stick is not balanced for this), an Instigating sniper/gauss rifle, a double-shot combat/assault rifle not on automatic, or an Explosive minigun when you have all the explosive perks (try not to stand in the aoe range)

8. Bring a companion to carry all that shit while you explore, you don't have time to lug bazookas around when you need to stack up on duct tape, surgical trays and beaker stands, and besides, not only can you make them carry more than their weight limit by directing them to pick up specific things, Dogmeat doesn't count for the Lone Wanderer perk so you can get all the companion perks (find whatever repeatable thing they like, do it once then quicksave/quickload to reset their internal liking things clock and repeat) then abandon them forever and take both the dog and the extra space/damage/resistance

9. Dogmeat is immortal so you can blow him the fuck up with your 1072 damage, double-damage against full-health targets Fat Man when he walks in front of you and pushes you off the gangplank into the nest of Legendary Super Mutant Masters with miniguns riding Legendary Albino Radscorpions for the eighth time in a row, holy fuck you stupid dog
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#156 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 19 March 2016 - 07:26 AM

I've taken my time with this game but it's about endgame for me very soon I think. The game has flaws but holy shit have I had fun. Dlc will be fun, a second run through on the new survival mode will be fun too.
Error: Signature not valid

#157 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 04 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Far Harbor DLC

Has anyone played Automatron yet? I was waiting for both to come out before jumping back into this game. Supposedly Far Harbor is HUGE. Like, larger than Shivering Isles huge.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#158 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 05 May 2016 - 05:01 AM

Automotron is cool. The quest isn't too long but it adds new robots and enemies that are always popping up around the world.
Error: Signature not valid

#159 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:15 AM

I'm still working my way through the regular game, I'm enjoying it so much I am doing side quests galore. Just exploring, and upgrading weapons and armor. As i've been doing the achievements i'm stuck on the settlement one. How to get 100 in a large settlement. I get to 82/83 and then it doesn't grow. Water, food, defense are all off the charts, I have a bar, restaurant and medical center, any ideas?

#160 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 05 May 2016 - 07:29 AM

Haven't played for a while but don't you just send people from your other settlements? I'm pretty sure I was boosting populations and reducing overcrowded ones by clicking on settlers and sending them to different ones.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users