Page 1 of 1

Shimmer' ???

#1 User is offline   Soletaken Toblakai 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:31 PM

MODGOD NOTICE OF THREAD TITLE EDIT - DONT PUT BLATANT SPOILERS IN A TITLE
What's up everyone!

Haven't been online in a while, feels good to be back.

Okay, down to my question, if it hasn't been asked already, just finished reading the book, happy with it, but here's my question, when exactly did Shimmer die? I remember during their voyage to assail, there was a scene where Petal was sitting in the middle of the ship, helping with the passage, around the time when he came to, Bars and Blues were looking at Shimmer in a rather strange way, even going as far as apologising to her? "I'm so sorry Shimmer", something along those lines, it was even before that creep was raping her while she was "passed out". Does anyone have the exact time Shimmer died?

This post has been edited by Abyss: 25 May 2015 - 04:54 AM

By the blood of the Eleint... Witness...

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

Edit the thread title so it's neutral, por favor.

IIRC she dies when they're sailing through a small passage and some ice shelves come crashing down onto the boat.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Soletaken Toblakai 

• Corporal

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:59 PM

But wasn't she already feeling wierd even before that? Like she was fading and she didn't, or rather couldn't care? She even likened it to the way she felt at Himatan.

How would you suggest I make the thread title more neutral, I'm afraid I don't follow

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:15 PM

You could be right. Hmm. I haven't re-read Blood and Bone so I don't know about that, but I marked it as the first point she goes to the "afterlife". I'll reread B&B soon though (with Tor) so I'll definitely look for signs.

And it looks like a mod has already taken care of things w/ the title. Neutral = no spoilers.

#5 User is offline   Sheve 

• Fist

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

Dont have my copy of Assail at hand, but i am pretty sure she "died" when the CG met those crazy mages with the chains.
She was hit by a flying knife in the heart.
After the she started to fade away.

This post has been edited by Sheve: 26 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

They may cut your dick in half
And serve it to a pig
And though it hurts, you'll laugh
And dance a dickless jig

#6 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostSheve, on 26 May 2015 - 04:07 PM, said:

Dont have my copy of Assail at hand, but i am pretty sure she "died" when the CG met those crazy mages with the chains.
She was hit by a flying knife in the heart.
After the she started to fade away.

Yes, at the end she realizes that the Shard wizard's flying shards had killed her all those pages previously. K'azz was staring at her in sadness after that battle, and she casually mentions one was stuck in her armor in her chest but she was OK despite several others dying. Was weird scene but then later you realize she was denying the fact that she had 'died' then. Though I'm not sure why she didn't go to the "CG afterlife" then like she did later. Probably because she was denying it.

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:43 PM

It was suggested that even those who died w/could come back, so there seem to be grades of denial, with Shimmer at one extreme at the Brethren at the other.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

Maybe she dies all the time and doesn't notice and that's why they call her Shimmer.

#9 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:04 PM

Interestingly, Shimmer uses the expression "Gods above" in the Prologue of Blood and Bone whereas others, non-Crimson Guard talk about Gods being below. Incidental or deliberate is the question.

#10 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:12 AM

View PostEgwene, on 18 June 2015 - 09:04 PM, said:

Interestingly, Shimmer uses the expression "Gods above" in the Prologue of Blood and Bone whereas others, non-Crimson Guard talk about Gods being below. Incidental or deliberate is the question.

It's not an uncommon expression though. Lostara Yil says it as well in Dust of Dreams, for example.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   Soletaken Toblakai 

• Corporal

Posted 03 July 2015 - 05:07 PM

Interesting, it also begs the question now, to what extent does a Crimson Guardsman have to be wounded to actually die, remember when Bars with the crossbows on the ship? That should've been fatal yes?

#12 User is offline   Garic 

• Recruit

Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:36 PM

I have only read ICE's books once, and i couldn't remember where. But doesn't it specifically state somewhere that it is about will? They can be wounded beyond death, but if they have the will...they won't die? Someone said that was why Bars was as strong as the other mention-able Crimson Guard. I plan on finally inserting all of ICE's books in the correct order on my next reread. Could be months, but if i find it again i will be more specific.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users