Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

NFL Draft 2015

#1 User is offline   Grumble 

• High Mage of High House HAWT
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:46 PM

So the draft is here again ..... who is your team picking this year ! Who is that special player that your team need to get !

Tomorrow night, Live from Chicago 32 players will be selected in the first round of the draft, who are the steals and who will be the busts, your thoughts please.

Due to the Jimmy Graham deal my team has to wait till Friday nights 63 overall selection and it's going to be horrible watching all those picks taken before we make our own choice !

This post has been edited by Grumble: 29 April 2015 - 10:47 PM

What Would Jack Do ?

#2 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:40 AM

I think my team needs a whole bunch of new people...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 April 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

I think my team needs a whole bunch of new people...

Agreed ..... Arik Armstead DT Oregon is a name that comes up on many mock drafts for the Whiners, could help replace/upgrade an ageing Justin Smith. WR is another thought to replace Craptree and give Richard Sherman some one to battle with.
What Would Jack Do ?

#4 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

As far as the first round goes, it is all about the Eagles and where Mariota goes. So many of the first six teams would start him day one and after spending his first two seasons in one of those franchises as a traditional pocket passer with no targets whatsoever, they'd conclude he's not delivering. And there's always the chance that the Browns trade up for him.

As for the Saints: they have some munition and they have holes everywhere, so either everything is patched with bubblegum and NO goes somewhere between 11-5 and 8-8 next year, or Loomis trades the Saints' first three picks with the Jaguars and grabs the best player available. If the Jags say "yes", Rex Ryan should write down Leonard Williams and run move as fast as he can to the podium (he might actually make it within the time limit). Better yet, howl it across the room on the way.

Whatever they do, though, I hope they draft "finished products" over "intriguing prospects with high ceilings". If the plan still is to make the most of Brees' window instead of rebuild, then most of the draftees will need to perform from day 1 onwards, so they should have some polish and not just only upside and a very short off-season to work on technique.

Also, Jerry Jones has been far too sensible the last few years, time for him to go bonkers.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#5 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:22 PM

Well as a Tampa Bay fan (read: sufferer) I get to watch my team in the spotlight from the get-go. Joy! It seems I'm in the minority preferring Mariota over Winston and unless the Bucs have done the best lying job ever, we're taking Winston. I don't doubt his talent but he threw far too many picks last year to make me comfortable and he had horrible first halves in many of FSU's games as well. The Bucs will not be a team that can come back from 17 to 20 points down in the 2nd half. Winston is nothing if not supremely confidant in himself, to the point of overconfidence or even arrogance to me. He also thinks he is a born leader and I think his over-exuberance would grate on me quickly and I'm not a veteran NFL player. His off the field baggage is, of course, a big concern. His FSU rape accuser is from Tampa and has filed a civil suit against him. No distraction there at all. I've heard Mariota knocked for his lack of "fire" and "vocal" leadership but I'm one who believes that quiet and steady and doing your damn job can lead as well. "Pro style" offense or not, Mariota has quite a few more starts under his belt and that's one stat that does seem to hold a little water when it comes to the NFL transition. When the Bucs take Winston I'll hope for the best of course, but I'll never hold my breath.

#6 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 30 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 30 April 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

Well as a Tampa Bay fan (read: sufferer) I get to watch my team in the spotlight from the get-go. Joy! It seems I'm in the minority preferring Mariota over Winston and unless the Bucs have done the best lying job ever, we're taking Winston. I don't doubt his talent but he threw far too many picks last year to make me comfortable and he had horrible first halves in many of FSU's games as well. The Bucs will not be a team that can come back from 17 to 20 points down in the 2nd half. Winston is nothing if not supremely confidant in himself, to the point of overconfidence or even arrogance to me. He also thinks he is a born leader and I think his over-exuberance would grate on me quickly and I'm not a veteran NFL player. His off the field baggage is, of course, a big concern. His FSU rape accuser is from Tampa and has filed a civil suit against him. No distraction there at all. I've heard Mariota knocked for his lack of "fire" and "vocal" leadership but I'm one who believes that quiet and steady and doing your damn job can lead as well. "Pro style" offense or not, Mariota has quite a few more starts under his belt and that's one stat that does seem to hold a little water when it comes to the NFL transition. When the Bucs take Winston I'll hope for the best of course, but I'll never hold my breath.

I guess the *cough*rape*cough* off-field concerns just remind front office personell of Roethlisberger, Favre and all the other (alledged or not-so-alledged) sex offenders. Pay off the victim and the problem will go away.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#7 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:21 PM

View PostTapper, on 30 April 2015 - 12:50 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 30 April 2015 - 12:22 PM, said:

I guess the *cough*rape*cough* off-field concerns just remind front office personell of Roethlisberger, Favre and all the other (alledged or not-so-alledged) sex offenders. Pay off the victim and the problem will go away.

Prior to last year, I would agree that that is what most teams' attitude might be about it. But the NFL and Roger Goodell took an absolute pounding last year over their seeming nonchalance when it comes to domestic violence. They cannot allow that to be the case any longer and I think perspectives on that kind of issue will be different going forward. I wonder if that has something to do with why Winston isn't attending the draft. How would it appear to some of the public to have him, with that baggage, being put on stage and celebrated as the #1 pick. It would not shock me if he was quietly asked not to attend or if he and/or his "team" figured that out for themselves and announced he wouldn't be there. Mariota not attending is a little harder to figure, although he may honestly not care about all the hoopla. Or he's covering for Winston (they became friendly and worked out together, apparently) by not letting him be the only one not present. Too far fetched? Yeah, probably.

#8 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 30 April 2015 - 02:05 PM

I am waiting to see just how overhyped the QB battle has been.

There are always two top QBs being talked about.

One of them almost always goes high.

Most mocks usually have teams falling all over themselves to trade up to draft the other one, but on draft day that one often does an Aaron Rodgers impression and slides.

So while all the talk has been Tennessee taking Mariotta or trading the pick to SD, CLE, or PHI, I think there is a great chance Tennessee takes Williams or Fowler or even a receiver, and Mariotta just starts sliding, maybe even all the way to Cleveland's first pick What happens from there depends on whether Cleveland and Phillly really do have interest.

Could be wrong. Teams could think he is that good. Any of WAS, NYJ, CHI could possibly want him if he starts sliding. But I don't think anyone pays enough to go to #2, so if TEN doesn't take him, I think he slides until at least the end of the top 10. After that its a matter of which teams like him, and who they feel they have to jump.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#9 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

I find it fascinating that essentially the players who shine and are the best are more or less guaranteed to start their pro careers in the worst teams.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#10 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:33 AM

Ah well, so it begins. Better not F this up, Jameis. The Bucs have been a laughingstock more than enough.

#11 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:42 AM

Our GM is Chip Kelly lite. Have an elite WR corps? Fuck the D, add another WR!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#12 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:58 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 01 May 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

You have an elite WR, and a former elite WR. I don't know if that qualifies as an "elite corps".

TY Hilton had monster yards and 7 TDs. Wayne had the second most yards and is gone. Andre Johnson just dipped under 1000 and is 34.

So while I agree WR is not your most glaring need, its not so stacked that you waver from your board.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#13 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:16 AM

Strange indeed !

Indy needs help at safety and linebacker. Is coach Chuck Pagano not a defensive coach? Colts piling up pass-catchers is puzzling given that there is still only one football.
What Would Jack Do ?

#14 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:21 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 30 April 2015 - 09:13 PM, said:

I find it fascinating that essentially the players who shine and are the best are more or less guaranteed to start their pro careers in the worst teams.

NFL would love it if every team finished 8-8. The whole idea of the draft is to establish parity throughout the league. They hope that the BAD teams become GOOD quickly.
What Would Jack Do ?

#15 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:49 AM

How come it doesn't quite work like that then? I'm all for keeping it a bit closer but there still seems to be a pretty big gulf... you often see the same teams in the playoffs.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#16 User is offline   Grumble 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 May 2015 - 06:49 AM, said:

How come it doesn't quite work like that then? I'm all for keeping it a bit closer but there still seems to be a pretty big gulf... you often see the same teams in the playoffs.

Yes your right, some teams just don't draft well, others fall foul of the fact that none of us really know how good the rookie's are going to be. There's a long list of failures and no such thing as a sure thing.

Was right about the Whiners selection as well, look forward to him being a draft bust now.
What Would Jack Do ?

#17 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:50 PM

Because it is tough to predict which players will be good, and even the very top picks have a high bust rate.

Further, moving from winner to loser requires a competent quarterback, and those are really hard to evaluate and really hard to develop.

Added to which, losing teams tend to have more churn in their coaching and management positions, which means a new long term plan every 2 years.

#18 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:36 AM

I'm never a fan of taking WRs in the 1st round. Would have rather seen the Bears go ANYWHERE on the defensive side. But it is an offensive league, can never have enough weapons.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#19 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 02 May 2015 - 04:40 AM

View PostNevyn, on 01 May 2015 - 03:58 AM, said:

You have an elite WR, and a former elite WR. I don't know if that qualifies as an "elite corps".

TY Hilton had monster yards and 7 TDs. Wayne had the second most yards and is gone. Andre Johnson just dipped under 1000 and is 34.

So while I agree WR is not your most glaring need, its not so stacked that you waver from your board.

TY is on verge of being elite. Already great.
Andre Johnson will be #2. Best #2 receiver Colts have had since Marv left.
Donte Moncrief has the capability of being great, and shined as a rookie with his limited playing time.
Duron Carter was a highly sought after FA out of Canada that Colts won. Has very high upside.
Vincent Brown was a serviceable #2 in SD before injuries. In camp to compete for #5 WR before pick.
Griff Whalen has proven himself to be a solid, if limited, WR. In camp to compete for #5 WR before pick.
Coby Fleener & Dwayne Allen are both top 20 TE's.

If the Colts use a RB, and they will, that amounts to 4 of these players being on the field at the same time. They have 3 WR and 2 TE, plus other options, that are either imminently capable or great already.

It was a luxury pick, but this is the same team that took Reggie Wayne at #27 or so and Dallas Clark at 28 or so, when they had one of the elite offenses in the league.

He'll be good. But most WR's are good with Luck. If he becomes top 10 WR he'll be worth the pick. Otherwise, could have traded down.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#20 User is offline   Shinrei 

• charin charin

Posted 31 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

Take a look at the teams that are there again and again. Most of them have one of the elite QBs. If you have "The Man" you generally are going to be competing at a higher level because there aren't enough elite QBs to fit on all the teams. Coaches/management turnover tends to happen more on those teams that haven't managed to find "The Man". Teams like the Seahawks who make it primarily on the strength of their defense are an exception rather than the rule.
You’ve never heard of the Silanda? … It’s the ship that made the Warren of Telas run in less than 12 parsecs.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users