Malazan Empire: Greatest Website in the world: Hard Dawn - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Greatest Website in the world: Hard Dawn because morning in america (or ROTW) wont be easy

#21 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:52 PM

I don't agree with the needlessly hostile tone this conversation has taken, hence the reference to New Atheist asshats I made earlier. Contempt is not a winning argument and neither is a patronising sense of superiority.

That said,

Third, how is it not moral to worship a being of perfect love and Justice. Inherent within the question is a denigration of what/who God is. I would completely agree with Apts statement if one piece of the religion was missing. I believe that on the cross Jesus suffered all of the evil of humanity within his own body. He bore the weight (physical and spiritual) of every sin ever. This weight crushed him utterly. This is what is meant when we say he bore our sin. So are children raped to death? Yes, and Jesus suffered that with them. Do people suffer under various illnesses, yes, and Jesus suffered through them on the cross. If God was not also suffering alongside humanity I agree, such a God allowing us to exist would be contemptible.

You are saying an omnipotent immortal unchangable being that has the power to stop a child being raped to death is in fact wondrous and incredible because while he allows it, he also suffers this comparative dust-speck-on-a-cheek alongside the raped and murdered baby? Why doesn't he stop the child being raped to death? If he is infinitely powerful and infinitely good, why did he create this act? Why is this permitted? Hell, if he's omniscient he knew the rapist would choose to rape the child (don't give me that free will crap, you can't have both that and omniscience at once) and could have prevented this from the very start. The fact I get goo and bits of shell stuck in my skin does not give me a free pass for crushing ants with my fists.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#22 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:28 PM

A few things here. First things first, am I coming off as superior in tone? If so, apologies not my intent.

Second, in your example given, you have changed what I meant when I said suffers with. When I say he bears the weight of the sin, he does so on both sides of the account. Fully bearing the weight of the person who is doing the rape, and fully bearing the pain of the one being raped. This is not a cosmic-dust-speck-on-the-cheek, but an actual imputation upon God himself.

Third, He did not create this act, the rapist did. Part of being a free moral agent is the ability to choose evil, and effect causality within the universe. Evil is not a created thing but a distortion of the good. Any suffering God allows, he allows to happen to himself as well.

Fourth, without a God on what basis do you call the act Evil? Is it not merely your preference that children not be raped? A preference ingrained in you by your society, which could, if society deemed it moral at some later point, change (Many societies throughout history do even worse things to children than this)? Without some superior reality to compare ours to, how can you claim any objective framework for morality? Why not follow the path of Nietzsche and move beyond good and evil? Impose your will on the world around you and do as you please. Who is to say, in the lack of some omnipotent being, that someone else's will is wrong? You could call it inefficient, destructive, wasteful, but not wrong. Or, at least, not wrong in the way that I am using the word wrong.

Lastly, Free will and omnipotence are not logically contradictory. If the being wishes to first and foremost create free moral agents, then allowing those agents to go off the rails is an expression of that entity's ability to do a thing.

I would argue that outside of the objective moral framework provided by God, there are only two moral imperatives: survival of the fittest, and that the strong will dominate. If this is the case I think we should continue to act like Captain Hadrian, and dominate our way across the galaxy. Destroying any civilization or super chicken which might someday threaten us.

#23 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

Mod thread warning. Firstly, simply keep it civil. I don't think discussion (read: "discussion") of the character of religious/non-religious people (specifically or in general) is especially relevant, or fruitful, here. This includes generalizations about why they might be religious/non-religious.

Secondly, I think hugely graphic examples of suffering are an unecessary, polemical, and frankly rather cheap rhetorical tactic. I think everyone here is intelligent enough to be aware of the sort of awful suffering that exists in the world. We don't need a constant listing of "X, Y, Z attrocities also exist/are allowed by God". It doesn't add anything to the discussion except to escalate it's tone; it's needlessly inflammatory and will be treated as such.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#24 User is offline   Grief 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:36 PM

View PostPowder, on 01 May 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

Either he could A) give them a collection of words which to them have no meaning, and no usefulness to them, or he could meet them where they are, and communicate with them using their own limited language with the intent of guiding them towards further understanding.

Firstly, how would you reconcile this with God's omnipotence?

Secondly, in terms of linguistic analysis, is it not already the case that there are words in the bible that wouldn't have had meaning for its earlier recipients? I remember hearing that this is one of the ways that people try to estimate when different parts of the bible were likely to have been written.

View PostPowder, on 01 May 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

I would argue that outside of the objective moral framework provided by God, there are only two moral imperatives: survival of the fittest, and that the strong will dominate. If this is the case I think we should continue to act like Captain Hadrian, and dominate our way across the galaxy. Destroying any civilization or super chicken which might someday threaten us.

IIRC, Nietzsche suggests a moral framework based upon happiness (which he sees as the only thing that gives inherent evidence of it being worthwhile), and says Supermen would have no need to impose upon other people's happiness (since they can take a subjective moral code that has no reaosn for doing so). It has a historical connotation with justifying the sort of imperatives you describe, but that's not necessarily in line with his work (how consistent his work is, is also debateable, of course). Saying that the strong will dominate seems to me to assume a sort of negative objective moral imperative to begin with, rather than simply the lack of an objective imperative.

Cougar said:

worry said:

#25 User is offline   Grief 

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:56 PM

Third, He did not create this act, the rapist did. Part of being a free moral agent is the ability to choose evil.

Fourth, without a God on what basis do you call the act Evil?

On point three, this is again a limited freedom surely? Most of us will never be in a position to choose certain acts, and there are some that will be considerably more limited than others, and some might be pre-disposed, or more heavily influenced, a certain way. Likewise the universe presumably does not contain all possible choices; what about hypothetical options that are "more good" or "more evil" than exist in reality -- would you argue that there are none?

On point four, is personal preference an invalid option -- after all, is the decision to believe in an objective framework not itself a personal preference, whether that framework is God or some other objective philosophical position? So surely there is the same problem in seeing something as Evil even with God?

Cougar said:

worry said:

#26 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

A few things here. First things first, am I coming off as superior in tone? If so, apologies not my intent.

Second, in your example given, you have changed what I meant when I said suffers with. When I say he bears the weight of the sin, he does so on both sides of the account. Fully bearing the weight of the person who is doing the rape, and fully bearing the pain of the one being raped. This is not a cosmic-dust-speck-on-the-cheek, but an actual imputation upon God himself.

Third, He did not create this act, the rapist did. Part of being a free moral agent is the ability to choose evil, and effect causality within the universe. Evil is not a created thing but a distortion of the good. Any suffering God allows, he allows to happen to himself as well.

Fourth, without a God on what basis do you call the act Evil? Is it not merely your preference that children not be raped? A preference ingrained in you by your society, which could, if society deemed it moral at some later point, change (Many societies throughout history do even worse things to children than this)? Without some superior reality to compare ours to, how can you claim any objective framework for morality? Why not follow the path of Nietzsche and move beyond good and evil? Impose your will on the world around you and do as you please. Who is to say, in the lack of some omnipotent being, that someone else's will is wrong? You could call it inefficient, destructive, wasteful, but not wrong. Or, at least, not wrong in the way that I am using the word wrong.

Lastly, Free will and omnipotence are not logically contradictory. If the being wishes to first and foremost create free moral agents, then allowing those agents to go off the rails is an expression of that entity's ability to do a thing.

You aren't, I'm mostly referring to the fans of Dick Dawkins you see polluting the odd discussion online, which (possibly surprising to forumites who know me) is something I'd like to avoid here cause it's pointless and degrades conversation.

It's irrelevant because he's infinite, any actual cost is negliable and he still allows it to happen.

If God creates a murderer, then he creates the acts the murderer does. If I train and groom a dog to attack people, I am responsible - especially if I had magic powers that would tell me what the dog would do from the dawn of time itself. And harm caused to God by himself is still meaningless and doesn't nothing to ameliorate the actual physical and mental trauma suffered by victims.

The Golden Rule is not a Christian only concept. We don't need to go into the contradictions in the Bible regarding slavery or forced marriages either. Like you've already hinted at, your interpretation of an omnipotent being is filtered through texts translated by people for people so we can't be sure of this being's will either.

The only possible interpretation of this bit is that a being of infinite good and grace is watching someone do [example from the list of literally all the horrible things man did, does and will continue to do to man] that he knew thanks to his omniscience the person would do when he created them (else he wouldn't have omniscience) and not using his infinite power to stop them. He knows exactly what will happen, forever. He knows what choices the person will make with their free will since before existence, else he isn't and could not be omniscient. The harm a person does going 'off the rails' can be hugely awful and also explicitly permitted by this entity else it wouldn't have happened, and in fact must therefore be God's will that [horrible thing] happened. Do you see the issues I'm having with this concept? You can either have free will or omniscience, you could only have both if God is a monster.

Golden Rule again! You have little faith in people, it seems.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

Regarding the linguistic analysis, (correct me if I am wrong) but I thought the Bible was originally written in Hebrew, then translated to Greek, then Latin, then English (King James). If this be the case, which version are you talking about? I am not challenging anything here, I am genuinely curious. And if I am wrong about the translation thing please say so.

I find the assertion that Christ bore all possible sins of man on the Cross problematic. Firstly there is literally zero evidence for this. And this is something you can't prove. Yet an assertion of this magnitude creates an argumentative device that allows religion an ethical get-out clause when it comes to omniscience, suffering and free-will.

Even if this were true, I don't really see how it changes anything. The person suffering due to some horrible experience is hardly going to feel better if you tell him or her that 2000 years somebody suffered this pain too. What does it change? It does not obviate suffering. It doesn't answer the eternal "why me?" question. I note that you didn't address my earlier post. How will the suffering of the earthquake victims of Nepal be lessened if Christ suffered their pain?

#28 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

Slow day at work! I will probably be away from computing devices for the weekend, but I will be back.

Grief raises excellent questions:

1. God's Omnipotence: I keep coming back to this idea of what I am terming 'Free moral agents'. That the questions we are asking are like asking why, if God is all powerful, can he not draw a triangle with 4 sides. In so doing we do not limit God's power, but change the definition of the thing we seek to create. Applied to this question in particular of why God chose not to reveal scientific knowledge, to do so would be to fundamentally change the thing created out of its aforementioned description. Essentially what is being asked is why did God create us like 'X' instead of like 'Y'. To that I honestly have no answer. I do not know why God created us like 'X' instead of like 'Y'. I just look at the world around me, and this is how it appears to be, we are like 'X'.

2. Linguistics: Yes, through the application of Textual Criticism we have identified words/phrases/passages which we think are latter additions to the text. A few notes on T. C., this is more of a soft science, and will not stand up to the rigorous burdens of proof that have been required elsethread. All we can say for sure is that there are words in the text which are likely not original. Most of these things have been applied to modern translations of the Bible, and most Bibles will now annotate somewhere within the text when that text is suspected to have been a later addition. Either way, updates/notes/additions are OK with me because the Bible is a human book. Like all human works it bears the mark of its creators. Through rigorous study and scholarship we can understand the scriptures well but not perfectly (epistemology). Unlike someone who is Muslim (where the Koran is the literal words of God transcribed perfectly to Muhammad, and therefore cannot be translated), we are free as Christians to argue about whose interpretation is correct. We often work from translations, translations which are themselves interpretations. Does that answer that question?

2a. Nietzsche: As you well know scholars really do disagree on whether or not Nietzsche is inherently Nihilistic. However, I would argue that dominance is the default position. Dominance is a self-perpetuating state, and therefore the probability of finding a dominating force which ruthlessly holds onto its dominance would be the most probable state. In my understanding History bears this out. History is, after all, written by the winners.

3. Limited freedom within the bounds of what we are created able to achieve. We must agree on terms or no discussion is possible. If humans are created to be 'X', then their freedoms are limited to what they can do while remaining within the bounds of being 'X'.

4. This could be my own limited understanding, but, I think we define things in relationship to other things. I don't know wisdom without folly, light without dark, etc. In the same way I feel like we use language to construct our realities in such a way that things all have relationships to other things. In my world view I call something evil when it runs against the essence of God. I have something to compare it to, and when I compare action 'Z' to God, if action 'Z' is not like God, I call it evil. Now I could be wrong in my understanding of the action, or in my understanding of God, but if I am correct I can objectively measure something. (In theory at least, the probability of my rightness or wrongness not withstanding).

4a. What other objective moral framework outside of the Divine is there?

As an aside, my favorite Christian philosopher is Soren Kierkegaard. I think his materials should be required reading for the faith. When I visit Copenhagen I hope there is a Kierkegaard tour :). Also I would like to share a drink with people elsethread. This conversation is better with beer.

#29 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 01 May 2015 - 05:57 PM

@Illy Not only do I see your trouble I share it. The only difference I see is in what we assume to be true. Myself, I am in chronic pain every day of my life (yay back injuries). I don't walk around thinking to myself "Well God suffered this too, so its all good". I usually walk around thinking "Ow, ow, ow, ow". There is however a solidarity in knowing that my continued existence in said pain is not meaningless. I mean you want to talk serious self-questions, I believe that God can and does heal people, and yet I suffer through pain every single day. I don't know why I haven't been healed, I just choose in that unknown to hope that there is a reason instead of despairing that there isn't (Works of Love, Sickness Unto Death). The way I see it I have these two options, and I could be wrong with choosing either of them, and so I have chosen the one which appears to me to line up best with reality as I have experienced it.

@And You are correct the KJV is a mix of the Latin and the Greek, and late manuscripts at that. With advances in modernity we actually have collected more texts then were available in 1611, and most modern translations actually use these older texts. The OT is written in Hebrew and Aramaic. The NT is written in Greek by authors with varying proficiency in Greek. Have I answered your question in relation to Illy?

#30 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 01 May 2015 - 06:08 PM

I have chosen the one which appears to me to line up best with reality as I have experienced it.

But if your back pain doesn't get cured then thats the reality you are experiencing, right?

Regarding the miscellaneous nature of the Bible, and how different people have chipped in at different times and how occasionally entire portions were edited out (Council of Nicae I think) how does it continue to qualify as Word of God. To me it seems more like a text of great cultural importance, having a lot of valuable stuff to say on morality and ethics, yet ultimately fallible and flawed

#31 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostAndorion, on 01 May 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

I have chosen the one which appears to me to line up best with reality as I have experienced it.

But if your back pain doesn't get cured then thats the reality you are experiencing, right?

Regarding the miscellaneous nature of the Bible, and how different people have chipped in at different times and how occasionally entire portions were edited out (Council of Nicae I think) how does it continue to qualify as Word of God. To me it seems more like a text of great cultural importance, having a lot of valuable stuff to say on morality and ethics, yet ultimately fallible and flawed

Indeed, 100% agreed. And I'll add the Apocrypha, Gnostic gospels found at Nag Hammadi and the Dead Sea Scrolls of Qumran. Since they were found relatively recently, and have since cast information for the period in a WAY different light than either testament of the bible would ever attest to. Which to me speaks volumes (pun intended) about that book to begin with.

That said, I'm about history rather than religion, organized or otherwise...so I always approach it like that.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#32 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 01 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

Powder, this is not an attack on you personally.

I hardly require the texts to contain scientific knowledge. All they had to say was earth is actually a ball or round shaped object (in case a ball was not invented then) spinning around a big ball (or round object) of fire called the sun. And when Galileo proved that Copernicus was correct, the inquisitors turned around and said: "We've been trying to tell you guys all along, but did anybody listen?!?" Instead they threaten to set his feet on fire...And instead of millions they could just have said much bigger than 20 or even said its further than the furthest village we know...actually Im fairly certain that they already had some big numbers back then, methuselah was supposed to have lived to 900+ years, so the explanation could have been of greater precision. Plus the fact that iron is mentioned makes the creation of the book at around 1000-2000 BC and funnily enough no mention of stone tools.

In those early texts god was in close proximity to his people and I'm sure at some point some god would have explained everything, cos in his omnipotence he knew some of what he was trying to pass on would end up in the book. would he not have tried to ensure that creation was explained properly? I mean come on he's a bit of a perfectionist aint he? Everything just seems to work. Earth has been travelling around the sun for a very long time (more than many times 20) and it hasn't fallen in yet, that's about as close to perfection as something gets. And he couldn't have made sure the book from which everything stems had some basis in fact or science. if you read the early bible and I have he seems to be making it up on the fly and doesn't really get his omnipotence act together until much later on...I digress.

"How is it not moral to worship a being of perfect love and justice?" Really? So, If I don't believe in him he's going to burn me in hell forever with much pain and crying. Sounds like love to me. Especially as he hasn't really sent me anything to make me believe he actually exists except a flawed book or two to win me over? Justice? to this I reply Spanish inquisition and even the bloody crusades, but these were attempted by people given free will, choice or what have you, and god in his omnipotence would have known that this was going to take place in his name, would not a perfect and just god have tried to prevent this? I mean, not overtly, not standing in the sky in fire and shouting at the spaniards to stop setting peoples feet on fire (which would make me a believer BTW), but a burning bush or two to the right people might have helped.

Really Powder :) my juggernaut of disbelief just needs your god prove to me he exists. And in his omnipotence he would know for sure what words you could use to sway me and give them to you, because he wants my belief, because he loves me and doesn't want to spend eternity setting my feet on fire.
souls are for wimps

#33 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 May 2015 - 02:51 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 01 May 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 01 May 2015 - 06:08 PM, said:

Indeed, 100% agreed. And I'll add the Apocrypha, Gnostic gospels found at Nag Hammadi and the Dead Sea Scrolls of Qumran. Since they were found relatively recently, and have since cast information for the period in a WAY different light than either testament of the bible would ever attest to. Which to me speaks volumes (pun intended) about that book to begin with.

That said, I'm about history rather than religion, organized or otherwise...so I always approach it like that.

Exactly. History. Its what I usually give priority to, which is why I get in trouble in these discussions, as I don't know enough about philosophy to comment on Nietzsche or the other German philosophers.

#34 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 May 2015 - 03:00 AM

I would just like to point out that its a bit patronising to assume men of 2000 years back wouldn't understand large scientific concepts. Eratosthenes, a Greek living around 250 BC managed to measure the circumference of the earth through calculating the difference in the angle of inclination of the suns rays at different points of the earths surface. His calculation was extremely close to modern measurements.

In the Indian subcontinent, the Indus Valley civilisation which existed before 2000 BC had modern grid-based town planning, an excellent drainage system and municipal facilities to rival most Renaissance towns in Europe. This would have been impossible with a detailed knowledge of Mathematics and Engineering.

Around 4-500 AD, Aryabhatta, a scientific philosopher in India talked about the Earth rotating on its axis.

Therefore I think astronomy would have been understood quite well by ancient civilisations.

#35 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 May 2015 - 07:44 AM

This worries me, primarily with the insinuation that we would not recognise a morally evil act without some form of divine guidance on it. As someone who has been free of religion for 13 of his 27 years, I can quite safely say that I've never had any issues when it comes to morality (although as you may have gathered, generic assholery is my general modus operandi - not something I can change, good old misanthropy, etc etc) and making choices based on my morals. I simply haven't had need of any faith or guidance when it comes to such.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#36 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 04 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

@Frook

I feel as though you are being disingenuous with your request. What is your burden of proof?

Lets say I have a medical record of a cancer patient getting inexplicably better after prayer. Its inexplicable, but you will could say that inexplicable things happen with regularity.

I could have medical records of someones limb regrowing, but that record could be wrong, and the individual testifying that their limb regrew could be lying.

I could have the death certificate for an individual who has come back to life, and you will insist that the coroner was in fact wrong.

You could have a vision of God, see something supernatural and hear a voice from heaven and you can excuse it as a hallucination.

We could video record any of the above, and you will cry out special effects, or shopped if its a still frame.

I could tell you that I have been healed myself, personally, and you would tell me that its either just placebo effect, wishful thinking, or I am lying/deceived.

When your presupposition is that certain things cannot happen under any circumstances, you end up categorically rejecting anything offered as proof, so asking for proof is an exercise in futility.

Myself I have to wrestle with these instances every day. I struggle with what different individuals have claimed to have happened to them. I am uncertain about events such as those described above and have to diligently investigate them to see what actually happened. In truth I am uncertain about the claims of individuals within my own faith group, for me it is a daily struggle to reconcile these things within my own mind.

Also, I have not once said that anyone here, or anyone else is "Going to Hell to burn forever". That decision is not up to me, but up to Jesus, and I trust him to make the right decision. I don't see that I have any right to tell people what their eternal destiny is. On top of that I secretly hope that everyone is saved, because, you know, it would be awesome if we all got to experience that transcendent reality.

@ Maark I never intended to say that you were incapable of making moral decisions without religion. What I did intend to say was that you could not make objective moral decisions. You can make subjective moral decisions as you please, but those moral statements have no bearing on me or my moral decisions. Just as you would insist that my morals have no place in your life.

Edit for Great Justice: @andorion I do not doubt any of your claims, however the ancient Hebrew civilization was a pastoral/nomadic people who did not make any major advances in astronomy, but have one of the earliest symbolic languages. Supposedly it helped them to create meaningful land contracts or some such. Proto-semitic inscriptions in the Sinai found carved in stone show the shift from pictorial -> symbolic.

This post has been edited by Powder: 04 May 2015 - 06:03 PM

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 May 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostPowder, on 04 May 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

@Frook

I feel as though you are being disingenuous with your request. What is your burden of proof?

Lets say I have a medical record of a cancer patient getting inexplicably better after prayer. Its inexplicable, but you will could say that inexplicable things happen with regularity.

I could have medical records of someones limb regrowing, but that record could be wrong, and the individual testifying that their limb regrew could be lying.

I could have the death certificate for an individual who has come back to life, and you will insist that the coroner was in fact wrong.

You could have a vision of God, see something supernatural and hear a voice from heaven and you can excuse it as a hallucination.

We could video record any of the above, and you will cry out special effects, or shopped if its a still frame.

I could tell you that I have been healed myself, personally, and you would tell me that its either just placebo effect, wishful thinking, or I am lying/deceived.

When your presupposition is that certain things cannot happen under any circumstances, you end up categorically rejecting anything offered as proof, so asking for proof is an exercise in futility.

See, but all those things could very well be explained by science (in many cases they have been). Your stance is that "belief" is proof for your side...it's not for someone who is not faithful or doesn't ascribe to your religion. So the only person who provides burden of proof would be you in that scenario...and since that holds up to "miracle" for you, there's no way to convince anyone who doesn't follow your religion. The difference is that science is universal. If someone's limb regrew, for example...science would investigate and likely find an answer.

@ Maark I never intended to say that you were incapable of making moral decisions without religion. What I did intend to say was that you could not make objective moral decisions. You can make subjective moral decisions as you please, but those moral statements have no bearing on me or my moral decisions. Just as you would insist that my morals have no place in your life.

You're still implying that objective is not possible in a human brain. I think Maark is very much saying that it is. There is no need for a deity to colour how I see morality. The objective argument is quite as flawed as the above one is.

Edit for Great Justice: @andorion I do not doubt any of your claims, however the ancient Hebrew civilization was a pastoral/nomadic people who did not make any major advances in astronomy, but have one of the earliest symbolic languages. Supposedly it helped them to create meaningful land contracts or some such. Proto-semitic inscriptions in the Sinai found carved in stone show the shift from pictorial -> symbolic.

His point was not about astronomy specifically (he just used the Greeks as an example), but the intelligence level itself of early civilized humans like the Canaanites in general.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#38 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:28 PM

There is most certainly no requirement of faith for me to be able to make objective decisions; I especially could not look to a deity whose holy book is not shy on bloodthirsty acts committed directly by them or in their name (Genesis, Hosea... I could go on) as a moral compass.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#39 User is offline   Grief 

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:28 PM

@Frook

I think the difference (that Frook seems to be suggesting) is between something that is impossible to prove (at present), and something that seems provably impossible; something that isn't just miraculous, but is demonstrably miraculous.

Your point about science is fair, to a point. If we find something that we can't explain, the scientific approach is not to say that it is unexplainable, but just that we can't explain it yet -- that it happens for explainable (non-miraculous) reasons that we might discover. We can consider three states. Firstly, something has been unexplainable and we have found an explanation. Secondly, something has been unexplainable and remains unexplainable at present. In the third plcae, I would place miracles; something that has been unexplainable and will remain unexplainable since it has no explanation other than being miraculous.

For a convincing demonstration of a miracle, we must look in the second position. The first position isn't going to convince people, because it can be explained. But neither is the second really, as you say, because there is no proof that it cannot be explained and that it actually falls into the third position rather than the first.

This puts miracles in a difficult position; after all, we don't know everything knowable yet -- we don't know what might remain unexplainable. We might also discover that some things are unexplainable simply because we lack the resources to experiment on them them properly.

The question is then whether or not there are possible miracles that don't have this problem; things that seem convincingly impossible rather than just currently unknown. To me, it seems that we need here to look to the most well-established, most tested, areas of knowledge. Something contradictory or unexplainable on the cutting edge of science simply seems par for the course, while something unexplainable in an area more well established would be more convincing.

You're right to point out that exceptions may be handwaved as aberrations of results of experimental flaws. Imre Lakatos highlights this issue with Karl Popper's theory of the science through falsificationism (a theory which would be one of the common responses to your point about science being unable to meet an absolute standard of proof, since it is a response to the issue that Hume raises about scientific induction). Popper argues that falsificationism solves issues with scientific provability. The standard he posits is one of testability; the strongest theories are those that are easily disproven, but have survived repeated testing. He argues that instead of seeing science as a measure of absolute truth, it should instead be seen as a measure of current believability (with possible exceptions for a small number of things that can be proven a priori). Lakatos points out that, in actuality, we often don't totally discard a theory when it meets a piece of contradictory evidence -- instead, we try to see if that contradictory evidence is repeatable, if it only happens under certain conditions, if the theory can be reworked to accept it (for Newtonian mechanics is acceptable except that it doesn't work at relativistic speeds). So then, this gives us some idea of what might be a convincing miracle. I think it would need to be something that is repeatable, that contradicts well-established theories, but rather than leading to the conclusion "well, those theories must be totally incorrect" it leads to "well, we seem to have a unique instance of an exception that can't at all be explained by our current understanding (which nonetheless seems correct in every other case)".

A constructed example might be a metal ball in a laboratory. In the past it behaved like a normal ball when dropped, we know what it is made of etc, and it does what a scientist would predicted it to do. Then, after a certain point in time, when dropped, the ball instead bounces at erratic heights -- sometimes higher than it was dropped, sometimes lower, then higher again etc, and does so indefinitely, sometimes it might float, or gradually rise upwards, without pattern to its behaviour. Identical balls dropped in the same place will behave as normal. This will be repeatable, the ball will not revert to normal etc.

This, to me, seems more the sort of convincing miracle Frook wants.

It also somewhat made me curious about what you think about the people in the bible who did get to witness miracles. I've often heard people say that God doesn't reveal himself for that sort of reason (allowing people free choice with their beliefs, or requiring faith which doesn't work so much if he proves himself to exist), but I'm curious how this would be reconciled with a belief that at certain points certain people did seem to have more evidence than we do now (the disciples probably being the most obvious example I suppose).

Cougar said:

worry said:

#40 User is offline   Grief 

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 May 2015 - 06:26 PM, said:

See, but all those things could very well be explained by science (in many cases they have been). Your stance is that "belief" is proof for your side...it's not for someone who is not faithful or doesn't ascribe to your religion. So the only person who provides burden of proof would be you in that scenario...and since that holds up to "miracle" for you, there's no way to convince anyone who doesn't follow your religion. The difference is that science is universal. If someone's limb regrew, for example...science would investigate and likely find an answer.

I think that the important question is what if science doesn't find an answer? And your post itself contains the answer to this question -- "those things could very well be explained by science". This is an appeal to the future; the belief isn't just that the things that have been explained by science are not miracles, it's that the things that currently haven't been explained, will be. So where do we draw the line? I'm curious as to at what point you would allow that something might be miraculous (rather than not yet explained but likely to be explained in the future), and I think this is the issue that Powder was getting at. Would a scientific mindset ever really allow that possibility?

I'm also curious about your claim that science is universal. What do you mean? The scientific method has a circular logical foundation. The claim that science is universal seems, to me, to be very hard to prove scientifically.

Cougar said:

worry said:

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users