Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A question regarding warrens...

#1 User is offline   Los Mul 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

Hello. I'm quite new to the Malazan world, having only read GOTM and a little bit of Forge of Darkness.

What I really want to know about is warrens, as I am rather confused as to what they actually are. I know that certain characters draw energy from warrens and can "open" warrens and pass through them. Are warrens essentially alternate dimensions? That is the impression I am getting, though I'm not quite sure, and I can never find a simple, straight answer anywhere ;)

Help would be appreciated, thank you!

#2 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostMaelys I Blackfyre, on 14 April 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

Hello. I'm quite new to the Malazan world, having only read GOTM and a little bit of Forge of Darkness.

What I really want to know about is warrens, as I am rather confused as to what they actually are. I know that certain characters draw energy from warrens and can "open" warrens and pass through them. Are warrens essentially alternate dimensions? That is the impression I am getting, though I'm not quite sure, and I can never find a simple, straight answer anywhere ;)

I'd say they are alternate dimensions, yes. That's how I've described them whenever I've been talking about them to friends.

Ps. You really should read the main series before Forge of Darkness.

A good reading order would be something like this:

MBF 1-6

NME 1

MBF 7

NME 2

MBF 8-10

NME 3-6

KT

MBF = Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

NME = Novels of the Malazan Empire by Ian Esslemont

KT = Kharkanas Trilogy

The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach stories can be read whenever you want to read them, they spoil nothing.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 14 April 2015 - 09:59 PM

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

I suppose if it helps you can think of Warrens as alt dimensions, and a mage's personal warren as that individual's "wormhole" to the dimension. For now it's a functional metaphor. If you want a straight answer though you're not going to get it in GotM. Read and find out.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 14 April 2015 - 10:25 PM

Dimension is a good basic way of thinking about them to start with.

Your understanding will deepen evolve as you keep reading. I know that that's a frustrating answer, but it is intentionally a style choice of the author to have understanding build this way, not just about this but about a LOT of questions you may have. So anything further we told you would in some way be a spoiler.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#5 User is offline   Los Mul 

• Recruit

Posted 15 April 2015 - 12:15 AM

View PostEsa1996, on 14 April 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

What I really want to know about is warrens, as I am rather confused as to what they actually are. I know that certain characters draw energy from warrens and can "open" warrens and pass through them. Are warrens essentially alternate dimensions? That is the impression I am getting, though I'm not quite sure, and I can never find a simple, straight answer anywhere :D

I'd say they are alternate dimensions, yes. That's how I've described them whenever I've been talking about them to friends.

Ps. You really should read the main series before Forge of Darkness.

A good reading order would be something like this:

MBF 1-6

NME 1

MBF 7

NME 2

MBF 8-10

NME 3-6

KT

MBF = Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

NME = Novels of the Malazan Empire by Ian Esslemont

KT = Kharkanas Trilogy

The Bauchelain and Korbal Broach stories can be read whenever you want to read them, they spoil nothing.

Yah, I had started out with Forge of Darkness but when it felt waaaay to confusing, I put it aside and picked up GOTM instead, which was till confusing, but a lot easier to get into the Malazan world with. :D

And thanks for the responses, everyone. At least now I know I'm thinking along the right lines ;)

This post has been edited by Maelys I Blackfyre: 15 April 2015 - 01:36 AM

#6 User is offline   SwiftBenjamin 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2015 - 04:02 AM

Warrens are similar to 'planes' or 'realms' from real life religions. They're locations where energy is self-contained, which can be accessed mentally from this plane.
Nemo saltat sobrius.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users