Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-read Gardens or move on to Deadhouse

#1 User is offline   gtrain 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:26 AM

Hi all, this is my first post here. I read GOTM probably about 6 months ago and was wondering if i should possibly re-read the book again and then continue into Deadhouse Gates. Given the complexity of these books I was wondering if a refresh might be beneficial considering I've ventured into quite a few other long and complex novels such as A song of Ice and Fire and the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist, thoughts anyone????

#2 User is offline   Shadow Knight 

• Corporal

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:11 AM

I dont think you would need to re-read gardens to move onto deadhouse gates as the story is only partially linear, that said gardens of the moon is one of my favourite books so I would re-read it personally,

#3 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

View Postgtrain, on 03 April 2015 - 07:26 AM, said:

Hi all, this is my first post here. I read GOTM probably about 6 months ago and was wondering if i should possibly re-read the book again and then continue into Deadhouse Gates. Given the complexity of these books I was wondering if a refresh might be beneficial considering I've ventured into quite a few other long and complex novels such as A song of Ice and Fire and the Riftwar Saga by Raymond Feist, thoughts anyone????

Malazan, while definitely the most complex book series I've ever read, is still not that complex that you would need to read every book twice before going on to the next one. If you can remember most of the stuff that happened in GotM (aka. you still remember most of the characters, main plot, something about the world etc), it's enough. If you've completely forgotten everything, then it might be good to re-read it. If it's something in between, you might want to search for a chapter summary or some such.

#4 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

I did an immediate re-read when I first read GotM. I just knew by the end, that there was so much that would make better sense second time round and I wanted that understanding. If you are a fast reader, just give the first chapter a go. If a re-read is for you, it will draw you in and you won't even consider leaving it at that. If however you find that there is little to hold your interest, well, the right decision will be pretty obvious either way.

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostEgwene, on 04 April 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

I did an immediate re-read when I first read GotM. I just knew by the end, that there was so much that would make better sense second time round and I wanted that understanding. If you are a fast reader, just give the first chapter a go. If a re-read is for you, it will draw you in and you won't even consider leaving it at that. If however you find that there is little to hold your interest, well, the right decision will be pretty obvious either way.

This test doesn't apply fo rme. Malazan always draws me in. Without exception. If I let myself do it, I owuld be on a reread loop.

#6 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostAndorion, on 04 April 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

This test doesn't apply fo rme. Malazan always draws me in. Without exception. If I let myself do it, I owuld be on a reread loop.

And what's wrong with that??? ;)

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

I'd suggest rereading the epilogue if necessary, but a full reread wouldn't help much. Rereading means a lot more when you have info from later books.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:27 AM

View PostEgwene, on 04 April 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

I have a reading schedule to keep to! Authors to find! Books to read! Damn it, I am already halfway to doing a reread and I really really want to... but I shouldn't! Be strong be strong........

#9 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:19 AM

View PostAndorion, on 05 April 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

I have a reading schedule to keep to! Authors to find! Books to read! Damn it, I am already halfway to doing a reread and I really really want to... but I shouldn't! Be strong be strong........

... surly you'll want to re-read that bit in GotM where... . . and then he hints at... . . and then... . . oh, and when they totally... . . ;) :p :kallor:

#10 User is offline   gtrain 

• Recruit

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:08 PM

I think I will end up re-reading it again, there's a few things I would like to have a better understanding of, and the more complexity involved in a novel the more I'm drawn in

#11 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostEgwene, on 05 April 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 05 April 2015 - 03:27 AM, said:

... surly you'll want to re-read that bit in GotM where... . . and then he hints at... . . and then... . . oh, and when they totally... . . ;) :p :kallor:

So these posts are pushing me closer to the brink. I just indefintely postponed my Mark Lawrence and Bakker reads. Finish Ketty Jay and I will start my second reread of the entire series, interspersed with Lois Bujold.

I hope you are happy.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users