Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impaled woman in the Forest

#1 User is offline   TheSixthBlade 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 March 2015 - 12:47 AM

I have just finished reading FoD and am trying to figure out who the woman impaled on the spikes that Capt. Ivis comes across on his stroll through the forest. She is not Tiste and the Tiste have no name for her.
She tells Ivis (p. 384):

I am you when you sleep. When your thoughts drift and time is lost. I am there in each blink of your eyes-so swift, so brief. In that blink is the faith that all will remain as it was before, and the fear that it won't. I lie with you when you're drunk, when you are senseless, and your flesh meets mine and I rut with you all unknown, and take from you one more sliver of your life, for ever gone. And so you awaken less than what you were, each time, every time, I am-

The first portion of that quote seems to refer to dreaming so my gut reaction when reading it was the Queen of Dreams but this didn't happen to far after her meeting with Mother Dark. Later on, Spite says she sent Ivis in a dream so it may be nothing more than that.

#2 User is offline   D'iver koala bear 

• Recruit

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:10 PM

Burn the sleeping goddess

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostD, on 25 March 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

I dont think so. It was just a dream.

#4 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

Ivis seems to think she is a forest deity summoned by the Deniers using blood magic, which makes sense given what she says about iron and wood and about Ivis being one of the "people of the forge". It appears she was summoned with the intent of helping the Deniers, but she clearly has no interest in assisting the Tiste given that she believes them to be destroying their world.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#5 User is offline   TheSixthBlade 

• Recruit

Posted 26 March 2015 - 07:17 PM

View PostD, on 25 March 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

I didn't think of Burn but I can see that. When Sukul and Rancept come upon Burn, it is mentioned that root extending from her (spikes=roots, maybe?).

View PostD, on 26 March 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

Ivis seems to think she is a forest deity summoned by the Deniers using blood magic, which makes sense given what she says about iron and wood and about Ivis being one of the "people of the forge". It appears she was summoned with the intent of helping the Deniers, but she clearly has no interest in assisting the Tiste given that she believes them to be destroying their world.

If I recall correctly, the Deniers have some Dog-runner (Imass) blood and Rancept mentions Burn is a Dog-runner witch.

#6 User is offline   Shadow Knight 

• Corporal

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

I think its just a dream as well, doesnt spite or envy say sumthin along the lines of not havin to worry about ivis because she sent him into a dream??

#7 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:34 PM

This thread is giving me some very alarming thoughts...

If Spite/Envy, whoever it was, created the dream, and the dream is Burn, and then sends Ivis there... did we witness the creation of the Malazan world????

#8 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:36 PM

View PostEgwene, on 13 April 2015 - 08:34 PM, said:

This thread is giving me some very alarming thoughts...

If Spite/Envy, whoever it was, created the dream, and the dream is Burn, and then sends Ivis there... did we witness the creation of the Malazan world????

Your imagination is running wild today :-)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users