• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished MBotF - what now?

#1 User is offline   Sarangmatt 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:57 PM

Hey all :p

So I just finished The Crippled God this morning, and the first thing I do is come here and learn that the recommended reading order for Malazan universe books contains other novels interspaced between the original 10! (The main one that stuck out was that it's recommended to read Return of the Crimson Guard before Dust of Dreams, as something in RotCG is spoiled in DoD)

So, for someone who's just read all and nothing but the 10 MBotF novels (in the published order), what should I pick up next?

If it helps, I'd really like to read more about
Spoiler

Thanks in advance! :p

EDIT: spoiler tags added around character names.

This post has been edited by Sarangmatt: 22 February 2015 - 10:32 PM

#2 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostSarangmatt, on 22 February 2015 - 09:57 PM, said:

Hey all :p

So I just finished The Crippled God this morning, and the first thing I do is come here and learn that the recommended reading order for Malazan universe books contains other novels interspaced between the original 10! (The main one that stuck out was that it's recommended to read Return of the Crimson Guard before Dust of Dreams, as something in RotCG is spoiled in DoD)

So, for someone who's just read all and nothing but the 10 MBotF novels (in the published order), what should I pick up next?

If it helps, I'd really like to read more about Dassem, the Seguleh and Kallor.

Thanks in advance! :p

For ICE's books, I'd just read them in published order (NoK first). NoK is pretty stand alone though, so if you want to get into the characters you mentioned first, you could start with RotCG and go from there, then go back for NoK later.

Also, you'll probably enjoy ICE's books more if you don't go into them expecting specific characters to be written the same way they are in SE's books. They're different authors with different takes on the world, and getting caught up on the differences that you'll find with your established views on the world can detract from your enjoyment of the books.

For anyone else posting, I'd like to point out that this is in the New Members area, so no spoilers please.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#3 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 22 February 2015 - 10:31 PM

Read Esslemont's novels in the order they were released. After that read what ever you like, as long as they're of the same sequence. Kharkanas is best read after MBotF and NotME, but whether you read Kharkanas or Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach first is up to you. Esslemont's also writing a pre-empire series that can probably be read whenever as long as it's after the main sequence.

#4 User is offline   Sarangmatt 

• Recruit

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

Thanks guys! I feel much less overwhelmed now. :p

I'll pick up the Esslemont books after work today, then I'll most likely get into the Kharkanas series.

So am I correct in saying the ICE books are before + during the MBotF, and Kharkanas is before?

I'm so glad there's more to read, I'm not ready to move on from this universe just yet! :p

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 22 February 2015 - 11:52 PM

With the understanding that SE and ICE are different writers and some things won't be the same in tone or... Let's say 'take ' , ICE's books are an awesome other half to the malazan world. Enjoy!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:53 AM

ICE books tend to be during and after MBotF, actually. It's only his first one (a novella by Malazan standards at 300 pages) that is set earlier.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 23 February 2015 - 08:35 AM

View PostSarangmatt, on 22 February 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

I'll pick up the Esslemont books after work today, then I'll most likely get into the Kharkanas series.

So am I correct in saying the ICE books are before + during the MBotF, and Kharkanas is before?

I'm so glad there's more to read, I'm not ready to move on from this universe just yet! :p

NotME 1 is before Erikson's series, but the rest are during it or after it.

A timeline for Esslemont's books, if you're interested.

NotME 1 is before MBotF.
NotME 2 is after TBH.
NotME 3 is after NotME 2, and around the same time as TCG.
NotME 4 is after MBotF 8, and around the same time as DoD.
NotME 5 is after NotME 4 and around the same time as TCG and NotME 3.
NotME 6 is after NotME 3, and after TCG.

Kharkanas is way before the main series, yes. And, there's still two books coming for Kharkanas, 3 books for the Toblakai Trilogy, and at least one, but probably more, books telling tales of Dancer and Kellanved before the Empire was formed. And there are the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach stories too.

MBotF: 10 Books
NotME: 6 Books
Kharkanas Trilogy: 1/3 Books
Tales of B&KB: 5/x Novels
Toblakai Trilogy: 0/3 Books
Pre-Empire Series: 0/x Books.

This post has been edited by Esa1996: 24 February 2015 - 08:29 AM

#8 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

Leave the universe????

Just start from the beginning again! You'll find that on average (newbies apart) the members of this forum have re-read the books at least two, three, four.... well, many times.

You'll also find that everyone agrees, the re-read is even better. If you have the time, you could do the ultimate re-read with the ICE novels in-between in their recommended spaces ;) :) :p :p :p ...................

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:25 AM

Now now, everyone knows the Ultimate Reread is all the works broken down per chapter, in chronological (by Wu timeline, not publication date) order. We just don't know what it is. Yet.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:11 PM

View PostGorefest, on 23 February 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Now now, everyone knows the Ultimate Reread is all the works broken down per chapter, in chronological (by Wu timeline, not publication date) order. We just don't know what it is. Yet.

Umm yes we do. D'rek did this. the list is somewhere around. Now that this has been posted its only a matter of time till it shows up and the quantum disintegration of time can begin.

#11 User is offline   Sarangmatt 

• Recruit

Posted 23 February 2015 - 06:45 PM

View PostEsa1996, on 23 February 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

NotME 1 is before MBotF.
NotME 2 is after TBH.
NotME 3 is after NotME 2, and around the same time as DoD/TCG.
NotME 4 is after MBotF 8, and around the same time as DoD/TCG.
NotME 5 is after NotME 4 and around the same time as TCG.

Kharkanas is way before the main series, yes. And, there's still two books coming for Kharkanas, 3 books for the Toblakai Trilogy, and at least one, but probably more, books telling tales of Dancer and Kellanved before the Empire was formed. And there are the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach stories too.

I actually wanted to ask the exact question you just answered, about where the ICE books fall chronologically. Thanks a bunch, that's really helpful. I picked up Night of Knives and The Crimson Guard yesterday, I would have picked up the rest as well but they were by a different publisher, so I'll look elsewhere.

I didn't know so many books were still coming! Can't wait for the Toblakai trilogy, but I'm assuming that will be awhile if there's still more of the Kharkanas series to be written.

View PostEgwene, on 23 February 2015 - 09:22 AM, said:

Leave the universe????

Just start from the beginning again! You'll find that on average (newbies apart) the members of this forum have re-read the books at least two, three, four.... well, many times.

You'll also find that everyone agrees, the re-read is even better. If you have the time, you could do the ultimate re-read with the ICE novels in-between in their recommended spaces ;) :) :p :p :p ...................

Oh I'm absolutely going to re-read! Once I've finished the ICE series, I'll read a couple books i put on hold half a year ago when I started the MbotF. Once they're done, I'll pick up Kharkanas (figure I should start in the beginning!), then I'll go through and do the ultimate re-read with the ICE books included.

It's an amazing universe and I'm really looking forward to getting a deeper understanding of it. :)

This post has been edited by Sarangmatt: 23 February 2015 - 06:52 PM

#12 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:08 AM

View PostEsa1996, on 23 February 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

View PostSarangmatt, on 22 February 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

NotME 1 is before MBotF.
NotME 2 is after TBH.
NotME 3 is after NotME 2, and around the same time as DoD/TCG.
NotME 4 is after MBotF 8, and around the same time as DoD/TCG.
NotME 5 is after NotME 4 and around the same time as TCG.

NotME 3 and 5 are actually happening almost simultaneously.

View PostAndorion, on 23 February 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

Umm yes we do. D'rek did this. the list is somewhere around. Now that this has been posted its only a matter of time till it shows up and the quantum disintegration of time can begin.

D'rek had only done it before the release of SW and TCG. Here is what she had.

1. RotCG Prologue
2. MT Prologue
3. RG Prologue
4. MoI Prologue
5. NoK
6. GotM Prologue
7. MT
8. HoC I (about halfway through, start reading a chapter of HoC for every book of GotM)
9. DG Prologue
10. HoC Prologue
11. DG and MoI, alternating every chapter or so
12. HoC II-IV
13. BH prologue
14. BH (during the last book, start alternating chapters with the start of RG)
15. finish off RG
16. RotCG
17. TtH prologue except for the first part
18. TtH
19. 1st part of TtH prologue
20. TtH epilogue
21. DoD prologue

This post has been edited by heavymetaltroll: 24 February 2015 - 06:16 AM

#13 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostAndorion, on 23 February 2015 - 05:11 PM, said:

No, that was a rough estimation. We need a chapter by chapter breakdown, heck, probably even a character viewpoint by character viewpoint breakdown, of how to properly inter-weave TtH and Stonewielder, and more importantly DoD, tCG, OST and BnB, as this is where the real crossover takes place. I have faith in you all.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 24 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#14 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:27 PM

One day some evil bastard will manage it, and then we shall declare him/her supreme ruler of the universe!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users