• You cannot reply to this topic

What magic do the Thaumaturgs use?

#1 User is offline   RashanThyr 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, Sanderson, and LAX
  • B & KB 4 Life

Posted 12 February 2015 - 10:52 PM

Pretty much what topic says, what is the magic that the Thaumaturgs use, and what does it do? I kniw it has something to with rejecting the body and embracing the mind, but that's about it.

#2 User is offline   Twisty 

• Recruit

Posted 13 February 2015 - 09:26 PM

They use Denul. Which if you think about kinda make sense. That is how they go through so much physical suffering without stress, and how they manage to keep all those bodies alive while dissecting and making yakshaka. I'll try find a quote....

The only thing that gets me is that in MBotF, we are constantly reminded that Denul-induced forced healing heals the body but not the mind, making it traumatic. Why then do the Thaumaturgs rely so much on ordered thoughts and rational thinking, when Denul seems unable to influence the mind? But then again, this mental regime could be just a part of their training, most likely to help them stay cold and clinical when doing such horrible things to other humans. Also, it is likely the Thaumaturgs know more about Denul than all the Malazan healers we see in MBotF, so maybe they do use it to influence the mind, which is an art others haven't learned.

#3 User is offline   RashanThyr 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Malazan, Sanderson, and LAX
  • B & KB 4 Life

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

Could they be using the mental conditioning to make sure that regardless of their healing, their minds will stay "sharp"? And could they also be channeling Mockra?

#4 User is offline   Twisty 

• Recruit

Posted 14 February 2015 - 09:33 AM

Yes, that makes perfect sense actually. And as for Mockra, well, they have to control the yakshaka, and manage to keep cities of over a million people civil without any form of entertainment e.g. brothels etc - when the Adwami invade Isana Pura they note the lack of such buildings to keep a population under control. So, perhaps the Thaumaturgs do also tap Mockra.

#5 User is offline   D'iver koala bear 

• Recruit

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:30 AM

I think you will find its chaos they just use it differently from the shaduwam

Shaduwam believe you die when the heart dies
Thaumurturgs believe you die when the brain does
That's why they make there peers go crazy when they disagree with them because it is death to them or worse

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users