Malazan Empire: Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. - Malazan Empire

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sanderson Read through Mistborn to Stormlight Archive. SPOILERS EVERYWHERE FOR ALL SANDERSON BOOKS

#41 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 15 March 2015 - 11:27 AM

34 chapters, that is two parts, into the Words of Radiance.

Firstly the prologue was really interesting. Jasnah was suspicious of Elhokar's wife?

Secondly the Shallan arc:

Jasnah's death was a real shocker. Did not see that coming. (Is she actually dead? Probably)

The increasing flashbacks from Shallan are very interesting, but not as interesting as Kaladins were.

I caught Tyn was the one in charge of the ship job as soon as she mentioned the job to the south.

Shallan getting Kaladin to take his boots of were hilarious.

So she is a radiant with a Shardblade? As in she manifested one, straight out? I am guessing she killed her mother accidentally and her father took the blame. He probably saw her as a future asset.

The Kaladin arc:

More than Kaladin, its Syl's development I am loving.

Laughed my head off at Kaladin and the horse episode. Also Renarin fallng on his head repeatedly.

So the Assasin in White comes, but Kaladin manages to drive him off. Apparently a shardblade wound can be healed.

I am guessing Szeth is going to go through some turmoil type change now.

But the big reveal of the book so far is the Eshonai PoV. Gods? Are they the true voidbringers? Those forms..... very interesting....especially the smokeform.

Killed the king because of what he was going to do The gemhearts? The Chasmfiends? Exploration? Something they would have found?

That shoemaker and his references to the One? Adonalsium and his shards?

Also the two entities in the storm seemed mutually opposed.

The countdown can't be to the apocalyptic everstorm, can it? I mean if its that short a time t the apocalypse where are going to squeeze in 8 books?

Probably misreading it, or it gets averted somehow. Like Odium chooses a Champion maybe?

Kaladin is going to end up with a shardblade isn't he?

#42 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 15 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

WORDS OF RADIANCE SPOILERS
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Abyss: 16 March 2015 - 04:08 AM
Reason for edit: better safe than sorry

#43 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 15 March 2015 - 10:34 PM

Personally I would have put that post in a spoiler tag until the thread OP had finished the book, though luckily you've only included a few spoilers!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#44 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:34 AM

Was that a Spoiler for the end of Words of Radiance? No sweat. D'rek came in before I read it. Timezone difference saves the dayPosted Image

Guess its my fault really. Named it a Spoilers revealed thread after all, without specifying that the spoilers come as I read like in my WoT thread.

#45 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:33 PM

EEEK sorry sorry sorry! . um how do i spoiler tag?

#46 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:46 PM

I use the dropdown box on the top right. There's a Spoiler Code on that menu

#47 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 16 March 2015 - 05:04 PM

thanks. ahhhh WOULD NOT WANT to spoil the book for anyone >.<.

#48 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:57 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 March 2015 - 02:36 AM, said:

Then why did Shallan get a brain-damaged doormat?

:sofa:

This series became a must buy on release day for me after book 2.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#49 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

58 chapters and the first interlude of Part 4 done.

Damn Kaladin blew it big time. Guess he forgot the king was not Dalinar. This is irritating as I was loving his development and wanted him in another big fight.

Rocks narration of his peoples history is very interesting. Cosmere for sure. The caldera pools reminded me of the pools in Elantris.

Shallan is getting to be a more and more engaging POV. Pattern is surpisingly useful.

Also Lift in the interlude is hilarious.

Thats all I can write tonight. More tomorrow.

#50 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 March 2015 - 01:39 AM

Now, in more detail:

Kaladin doesn't really make the bes tof things as he did in book 1. He lets his visceral disliek of everything lighteyed get him into trouble and skew his perspective.

Shallan really impressed me. She metamorphosed from a poor little lost girl intoa seriosu badass. Getting the deserters to join her took guts. Her bits with Adolin are cute but also very amusing, injecting some much needed humour. The flashbacks are also playing a major role in building up her character.

The big reveal I think was the death of her brother at Amaram's hand. Now she has got a big reason to hate him. Though if I read it right, Kaladon was the actual killer. So if she ever finds out, sparks will fly.

All the info about the Knights Radiant is probably pretty significant, but I didn't really understand it all.

This being a Sanderson book, I am keeping my eyes open for betrayals. Except fo rthe obvious Moash one, I am also wary of Lopen and his cousins. They could be infiltrating Bridge 4. Also Selabrial be be too good to be true.

Who is Darkness? Cosmere? I think I should know him

#51 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 March 2015 - 02:17 AM

Crescent shaped scar? I keep on thinking I should know him.

I intend to finsh of this book within this week. Then I am taking a bit of a break from the epic stuff. It can get exhausting.

#52 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 18 March 2015 - 11:56 AM

View PostAndorion, on 18 March 2015 - 01:39 AM, said:

Now, in more detail:

Kaladin doesn't really make the bes tof things as he did in book 1. He lets his visceral disliek of everything lighteyed get him into trouble and skew his perspective.

Yeah, Kaladin is a tad bit prejudice. :D
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#53 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:38 PM

View PostBriar King, on 17 March 2015 - 07:25 PM, said:

Lift is the undisputed best thing in bk 2.

Pattern gets smarter as he goes so his 2nd appearance is better then his 1st. He was dumb then.

Kaladin pisses me off in this bk compared to how cool he was in bk 1 and the opposite can be said of Shallan from 1 to 2

yeah i agree with everything apart from the first point. really the best thing? i dont think we see enough of her to have a huge impact on me and the book. she was a good source of humour and if she became a main character i think she would quickly become a well liked character. may i ask why shes the best thing? im curious.

#54 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:40 PM

View PostBriar King, on 18 March 2015 - 04:30 AM, said:

Oh yea him. I posted about him in the other thread. You can read it after your done.

Ed: I still have yet to see if I was right about it or not. I honestly forgot about it after this long. I ll need to look it up.

Spoiler

#55 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 18 March 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

Pattern gets smarter as he goes so his 2nd appearance is better then his 1st. He was dumb then.

Kaladin pisses me off in this bk compared to how cool he was in bk 1 and the opposite can be said of Shallan from 1 to 2

yeah i agree with everything apart from the first point. really the best thing? i dont think we see enough of her to have a huge impact on me and the book. she was a good source of humour and if she became a main character i think she would quickly become a well liked character. may i ask why shes the best thing? im curious.

I loved how she kept on casually referring to her Spren as a Voidbringer. It kept me laughing for a long time. Also referring to Stormlight as 'turning on the awesome'

#56 User is offline   The Hust Legion 

• Lieutenant

Posted 18 March 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostAndorion, on 18 March 2015 - 05:50 PM, said:

View PostThe Hust Legion, on 18 March 2015 - 05:38 PM, said:

I loved how she kept on casually referring to her Spren as a Voidbringer. It kept me laughing for a long time. Also referring to Stormlight as 'turning on the awesome'

ah yes. she is indeed awesome. i think the ending wiped her from my mind.

#57 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:54 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 01:41 AM, said:

Wtf! Brandon wrote changes for bk 2 I just saw on 17th that will go into publication from now on so our bks are gonna different. I won't say what but the outcome is the same just circumstances leading up to it have been changed cause he wasn't happy how he wrote it. This is aggravating

Really? Books aren't software you know. You can't just write updates and include them later! Besides its not like there are huge mistakes or anything to correct.

#58 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:28 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 02:21 AM, said:

Yea I'm not happy about this at all! I didn't even notice this instance about this person. You may after your done but I just don't like this. He's also re doing Elantris and adding a brand new scene.

Yeah I think there's a discussion in Shard about this. I may pop in there and see whats up after I finish this book. But not cool Brandon. Not Cool.

#59 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:50 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

Yep big spoiler so stay way till done. I'm curious to see if you agree with him after finish cause I didn't even notice his issue.

I checked the Elantris thing though. That seems pretty minor. Small corrections in geography and writing style, nothing seriously plot-based. Its Words of Radiance I am worried about

#60 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:24 AM

View PostBriar King, on 19 March 2015 - 03:09 AM, said:

Imagine how I feel owning that expensive HC... I ll forgive 1 change but if he does it again at some point I will stop getting the HC a just wait the yr for PB. That will fucking suck!

The paperback idea maybe the only workable thing if h is going to do this often.Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users