Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#121 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

That’s dangerous territory to even joke about here haha

More importantly can we get michael caine as thom please

#122 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 21 August 2019 - 03:27 AM

View Postworry, on 17 August 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

BREAKING: Billy Zane has been cast as Lan.

I hope they can get Alexander Starsgard. He would make an excellent Lan..a little older rougher around the eyes now. Tons of acting range
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#123 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit

Posted 03 October 2019 - 06:42 PM

Promo video out with excerpts from the first table read - some people saying it looks like the guy who played Lord Bolton (Michael McElhatton) was there... I can kinda see it - wonder if he is Thom or Fain or Tam or who (he could probably be a good Fain)

https://mobile.twitt...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

#124 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 04 October 2019 - 07:48 AM

I'm out. Shitty casting. Gilbert Gottfried not playing Shaitan? I'm out. Screw this.

DeVito as Rand would have been the icing on the cake.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#125 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

It all depends on the screenwriting ie what they can filter and make watchable out of RJ's doorstoppers. Hint: keep most of the turgid Aes Sedai/Wise women/sewing circle shite off-screen and you'll have a good start. This isn't misogyny, he just couldn't write anything to do with women well at all. IMHO. And in his devoting SO FUCKING MANY PAGES to it, by cutting it to the bare minimum required to get the relevant point across you make significant steps toward making it a viable TV project.

Either that, or go "full HBO" on it and make the "pillowfriends" stuff a LOT more interesting. :devil: ;)

This will either be an outstanding success or will be so bad and lose so much money it will become a byword for epic fail and pour cold water on the recent trend to cash in on translating epic SFF to screen.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 04 October 2019 - 10:49 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#126 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:08 PM

I think we all want to see the tit slapping scene

#127 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 October 2019 - 12:08 PM, said:

I think we all want to see the tit slapping scene

But only because it's intrinsically crucial to the story. :rolleyes:
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#128 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 October 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

This isn't misogyny, he just couldn't write anything to do with women well at all. IMHO

Thank you. I get sick of the "misogyny" argument being thrown up in relation to any criticism of Jordan's handling of female characters. The dude was just straight up bad at it, and it's perfectly valid to say and feel that.

Also, speaking as a female with hair long enough to braid, who does in fact do so on occasion - I can promise I don't spend my day tugging it whenever I'm annoyed. That nonsense will give you the mother of all headaches after a while! Posted Image

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#129 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:33 PM

Of course, just as there is a valid reason why randy poor thor did his challenge fully clothed while the hot lady morraine had to run in the nip

#130 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 04 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 October 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

View PostTsundoku, on 04 October 2019 - 10:47 AM, said:

This isn't misogyny, he just couldn't write anything to do with women well at all. IMHO

Thank you. I get sick of the "misogyny" argument being thrown up in relation to any criticism of Jordan's handling of female characters. The dude was just straight up bad at it, and it's perfectly valid to say and feel that.

Also, speaking as a female with hair long enough to braid, who does in fact do so on occasion - I can promise I don't spend my day tugging it whenever I'm annoyed. That nonsense will give you the mother of all headaches after a while! Posted Image

What's your opinion on a well turned calve? Gets you all hot and bothered I should imagine

#131 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 October 2019 - 12:34 PM, said:

What's your opinion on a well turned calve? Gets you all hot and bothered I should imagine

Well, I mean you've got me there. I get all flustered and have to put the embroidery down...
- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#132 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 04 October 2019 - 02:19 PM

View PostMacros, on 04 October 2019 - 12:33 PM, said:

Of course, just as there is a valid reason why randy poor thor did his challenge fully clothed while the hot lady morraine had to run in the nip

Ever read your post back and thought "I really didn't write in the post what I meant in my head"? I just did that.

Fair enough - I didn't make my point very well at all there, apologies. There are definitely examples, the above being a brazen one - but not everything I cringe at with the women is problematic. Some of it is just bad, a la braid tugging.

Fourteen books... plenty of room for both (and doesn't Jordan make ample use of it...)

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 04 October 2019 - 02:23 PM

- Wyrd biđ ful arćd -

#133 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 October 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Well, I mean you've got me there. I get all flustered and have to put the embroidery down...

You could just straighten your skirts. And stare icily at someone.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#134 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 04 October 2019 - 03:43 PM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 October 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

You could just straighten your skirts. And stare icily at someone.

And according to Jordan you also make sure everyone focuses on your boobs by crossing your arms over them.

(How this shit was EVER relevant to a description of women crossing their arms is so beyond me; it made me cringe every time)
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#135 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

Speaking of girls posing to draw attention to certain things - he’d have a fit on instagram today #thighgaplife

#136 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 04 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

View Posttehol1769, on 04 October 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

Speaking of girls posing to draw attention to certain things - he’d have a fit on instagram today #thighgaplife

Now I'm quite intrigued at any potential of going "full HBO" ...

;)

#137 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:59 PM

Just saw that Michael McElhatton (recently Roose Bolton on GoT) is on board to play Tam al'Thor. I can see that. It'll be strange seeing him smile, which I would think he is going to need to do as Tam is not a dour man. Possibly an expanded role for Tam, considering he is rarely seen after the early part of EotW?

#138 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 06 November 2019 - 10:03 PM

View Postparan falcon, on 06 November 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

Just saw that Michael McElhatton (recently Roose Bolton on GoT) is on board to play Tam al'Thor. I can see that. It'll be strange seeing him smile, which I would think he is going to need to do as Tam is not a dour man. Possibly an expanded role for Tam, considering he is rarely seen after the early part of EotW?

Tam is a pretty constant presence throughout the series because he's one of the Two Rivers men who leaves the Two Rivers with Perrin.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#139 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 07 November 2019 - 01:34 PM

View PostTerez, on 06 November 2019 - 10:03 PM, said:

View Postparan falcon, on 06 November 2019 - 09:59 PM, said:

Tam is a pretty constant presence throughout the series because he's one of the Two Rivers men who leaves the Two Rivers with Perrin.

Yes that's true. Perhaps I should've said that he's out of the picture for a good length of time, in the books. Isn't it a couple books, at least, before he reappears? I could be wrong, its been a while since I've done a reread. He could obviously reappear on the show more quickly, depending on what the showrunner(s) choose to leave out. It just seemed to me at first thought that this is a pretty significant actor whom all concerned wouldn't want to be offscreen for a lengthy time. Or maybe not.

#140 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:55 PM

The shift to focus on Moiraine may keep some of Rand's more prevalent supporting cast in the background.
Or not.... it's not like this is even slightly limited by the source material. They could have Tam follow Rand around the entire first season then die in the cliffhanger finale.
Then bring him back in season 2.
Only now he's working for the Dark One.
And a vampire.
And has an icky but entirely consensual sexfeste relationship with Egwene.
Who also becomes a vampire.
...because vampires are so hot right now because Sony has that Morbius movie coming out, right? Right???
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users