Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#61 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 July 2019 - 10:34 PM

Anyone have any sense of what general development timelines are like? If casting is just starting to get announced... we lookin at ~1-2 years?

Im sure she’ll be solid for Moraine. I can kinda get how she’s gonna be protagonist numero uno in series #1, but I feel like since it will (eventually) likely shift to Rand/Mat/Perrin those are the ones they got to nail. Especially since they’re supposed to be younger.

#62 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:32 AM

View PostTehol8825, on 25 July 2019 - 10:34 PM, said:

Anyone have any sense of what general development timelines are like? If casting is just starting to get announced... we lookin at ~1-2 years?

Im sure she’ll be solid for Moraine. I can kinda get how she’s gonna be protagonist numero uno in series #1, but I feel like since it will (eventually) likely shift to Rand/Mat/Perrin those are the ones they got to nail. Especially since they’re supposed to be younger.

Shooting is due to start in September and run through May next year, so it depends on post-production timelines. If they need a lot of CGI, it will likely be early 2021, if not more likely late 2020.

I think Amazon would prefer 2020 because LORD OF THE RINGS: THE SECOND AGE is going to be their big fantasy show for 2021, so breaking things up more would be better.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#63 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2019 - 12:00 PM

Yeah that makes sense. While it would take a bajillion years to finish the series, I do hope they take their time and don’t just try to get out a season per year... though that may be doable considering they already have all the source material done (unlike GoT and Westworld which had to go off script in later seasons(.

What scene are ya’ll most excited to see on the screen? (Either from EOTW or the whole series)

#64 User is offline   Brujah 

• Suicide of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:18 PM

The best stuff is saved for later books than EotW.

Simple enough however, the best scene, and most important, I think will be the prologue.

The prologue captured me right away those 20 years ago when I first read Eye. I'd like to see how they handle the temporary glimpse into the Age of Legends, Lews Therin Telamon's epic scene of bewildered madness as the destruction he'd wrought becomes evident all around, and of course Ishamael's taunts.

The WoT series, as I've always said, has one of the best opening scenes to start a fantasy series. The best probably belonging to C.S. Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy.
And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

you're such an inspiration for the ways that I will never, ever choose to be...
- Maynard James Keenan

#65 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:58 PM

View PostBrujah, on 26 July 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

The WoT series, as I've always said, has one of the best opening scenes to start a fantasy series. The best probably belonging to C.S. Friedman's The Coldfire Trilogy.

That's an interesting contrast.
WoT's is certainly bigger in scope and sheer epic: dude goes nuts, kills people, chats w evil dude, kills himself.... COLDFIRE is more subtle and lacks the obvious antagonist, and while what Gerald's done is clear, the reasons only become clear(ish) much later in the first book and later books.

For sheer bestest opening in any series... huh, y'know, i'm going to start a new thread...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#66 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 05:22 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 July 2019 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 26 July 2019 - 01:18 PM, said:

That's an interesting contrast.
WoT's is certainly bigger in scope and sheer epic: dude goes nuts, kills people, chats w evil dude, kills himself.... COLDFIRE is more subtle and lacks the obvious antagonist, and while what Gerald's done is clear, the reasons only become clear(ish) much later in the first book and later books.

For sheer bestest opening in any series... huh, y'know, i'm going to start a new thread...

Those 'people' are SPOILERS. He starts off with one of the most heinous acts of violence of which man is capable, yet somehow continues to skirt the boundary between Black and White for the series remainder.

This post has been edited by Abyss: 26 July 2019 - 05:43 PM
Reason for edit: ahem

And when you're Gone, you stay Gone, or you be Gone. You lost all your Seven Cities privileges. - Karsa

- Maynard James Keenan

#67 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

I thought the identity of the 'people' was revealed right away. It's been a very long time since I read this Trilogy.

- Maynard James Keenan

#68 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:34 PM

View PostBrujah, on 26 July 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

I thought the identity of the 'people' was revealed right away. It's been a very long time since I read this Trilogy.

NBD.
I've had this debate elsethread, but my thought is that just because something happens in the first few pages of a book doesn't make it spoilfodder.

Put a different way, considering the impact on the reader and the rest of the series, would you want that scene spoiled - either of them?

But we digress...

I do wonder whether with the shift of protagonist, that scene may not be skipped entirely in the tv series.

#69 User is offline   Brujah 

Posted 26 July 2019 - 08:56 PM

View PostAbyss, on 26 July 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

View PostBrujah, on 26 July 2019 - 07:54 PM, said:

NBD.
I've had this debate elsethread, but my thought is that just because something happens in the first few pages of a book doesn't make it spoilfodder.

Put a different way, considering the impact on the reader and the rest of the series, would you want that scene spoiled - either of them?

But we digress...

I do wonder whether with the shift of protagonist, that scene may not be skipped entirely in the tv series.

When you put it in that light, and with further thinking, I agree. Even if revealed right away, it is more enjoyable for the reader to not have it spoiled.

As for digression, I think it would be a terrible loss in skipping the Prologue, but I was not caught up to date on said shifting of protagonist. The effect of this shift could be extremely minor or be cause for a complete paradigm schism.

I absolutely loved Moraine, but how they handle Mat will likely determine how much I like/dislike the ensemble.

Also, Perrin was zzzzzz boring in the books, IMO. I'm not saying he didn't have some great scenes, I'm speaking specifically of his overall demeanor. I hope they address this.

- Maynard James Keenan

#70 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:15 PM

If only Franz Kanz was 20 years younger he'd make a good Mat.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#71 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit

Posted 26 July 2019 - 09:46 PM

Good point on the prologue.... though even w/ the protagonist shift to moraine feels so crucial to setting up the story, its kind of hard to leave out.

I also wonder what the trollocs are going to look, at one point I’m pretty sure RJ said that whoever did the graphic novel had it down vs. what was on the covers of all the paperbacks.

#72 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 26 July 2019 - 10:55 PM

REE butchered the prologue so bad with "Winter Dragon", I kind of have PTSD and almost hope they skip it.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#73 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 26 July 2019 - 11:23 PM

It's very emotional and impactful and important so it should be included. But if they butcher it, it's going to turn me off the series instantly. "Winter Dragon" had Lews Therin falling on his sword at the end. Like, what?

There it is.

#74 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:28 AM

View PostTehol8825, on 26 July 2019 - 09:46 PM, said:

I also wonder what the trollocs are going to look, at one point I’m pretty sure RJ said that whoever did the graphic novel had it down vs. what was on the covers of all the paperbacks.

Gasmasks and vagina faces if SHANNARA was any indication. :)

#75 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

I hope we get a full season dedicated to Perrin rescuing Faile

#76 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 July 2019 - 09:29 AM

That wouldn't be bad from a pure plot-pacing perspective. In the books, she gets kidnapped at the end of book 8 and isn't freed until book 11. One season would be appropriate for that plot and would solve pretty much everyone's issues with it, PTSD aside.

There it is.

#77 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:06 AM

Must have forgotten my sarcasm tags

#78 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:08 AM

The sarcasm was obvious. Hence:

You: I would love it if this happened.
Me: That wouldn't actually be bad.

There it is.

#79 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 27 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostTerez, on 26 July 2019 - 11:23 PM, said:

It's very emotional and impactful and important so it should be included. But if they butcher it, it's going to turn me off the series instantly. "Winter Dragon" had Lews Therin falling on his sword at the end. Like, what?

Was that the weird mess with Billy Zane as Ishamael?

They surely couldn't make it any worse.... but I agree, I feel like a version of it (done well) does need to be in there.

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 27 July 2019 - 04:10 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#80 User is offline   tehol1769 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:38 PM

Yea I don’t know if it is actually possible to make a worse prologue than Winter Dragon.... always makes me cringe.

The good news is Judkins probably is aware of JUST HOW BAD the original was and will learn from that massive unprecedented unmitigated disaster of a mistake

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users