Malazan Empire: WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) - Malazan Empire

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHEEL OF TIME TV series watching thread (spoilers!) (was: 'So, the WHEEL OF TIME TV series is a go at Sony' thread

#481 User is offline   Chance 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2022 - 12:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 August 2022 - 12:06 PM, said:

Well I'm halfway through the season now and I still love it intensely. I have nothing to complain about. So maybe I'm just built different? ;)

Will be interesting to see what you think after all 8, if I remember it right it was the last episode which really solified my opinion. :)

#482 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 24 August 2022 - 12:31 PM

How has no one posted this look at S2 yet?!

The Aiel look dope!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#483 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2022 - 01:36 PM

Wow can't wait to go on imdb.com and list all the boom mics from that in the Goofs section.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#484 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2022 - 02:10 PM

I'm freshly discovering how CRUSTY WOT fans are about this show on reddit...like at least 75% of them are complaining about it, and most of those complaints seem to come down to "adaptation" choices...

But fuck me, it reinforces how much fandoms as a group, fucking SUCK when they dog pile like that.

The wider audience of casuals of WOT seem to like it for the most part...so the contrast between them and the die hards who think that adaptations should be more slavish to the books...is high.

....know what happens when the film/TV medium copies a book exactly how it is written? You end up with completely stilted and batshit boring movies like Smilla's Sense of Snow...Adaptation exists for a reason when you cross mediums like this.

What amused me more is that some people on that WOT show sub were praising SANDMAN as the "right" way to adapt a written story to a TV show...and I laughed because it shows you how insular fandoms tend to be....because a large part of the SANDMAN fandom HATES the Netflix show too....LOL

All fandoms suck, and it's best to avoid them apparently.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#485 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 August 2022 - 02:28 PM

Agreed. I for one would never go on a website devoted to my favourite series of books - Malazan Book of the Fallen - and talk with like-minded fans there. Toxic! ;)
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#486 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2022 - 02:30 PM

Also, I'd like to talk about one of the things that stood out to me as exceptional early on....the Emond Fielder's (or is it just Two Rivers people now?) reaction to the Trolloc attack and the Fade....are SUPER genuine. Egwene especially seems taken SO aback. These are things out of legend that no one in their lifetimes has seen, and they all react perfectly to that fact. It just felt really real. Even Rand and Tam encountering the one in their home....Rand is on the backfoot because "What the fuck is this thing?!".....and Tam is just clear, concise and inexorable resolve as he pulls out the Heron blade, as are Lan and Moiraine.

#487 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2022 - 02:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 24 August 2022 - 02:28 PM, said:

Agreed. I for one would never go on a website devoted to my favourite series of books - Malazan Book of the Fallen - and talk with like-minded fans there. Toxic! ;)

Well, we are people of culture here, so this trap would never befall us!

#488 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 24 August 2022 - 03:17 PM

QuickTidal, have you finished yet. I anticipate this continuing more than I do season 2

#489 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2022 - 03:30 PM

I didn't looove this show, but I mostly agree with you, QT. It's good! Rave away.

In terms of toxic fandoms, all I gotta say is this board should wear a warning, it's dangerous...I'm falling.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#490 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 August 2022 - 03:36 PM

I didn’t care about the adaptation, I just thought it was average overall. Storytelling and pacing were below meh.

But I’ll watch season 2.

Glad you’re enjoying it QT.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#491 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2022 - 04:02 PM

I'm watching with my wife (who is enjoying it a LOT....like if you'd told me 14 years ago that the girl I'd just met would one day be into the Wheel of damned Time, I'd have called you a lying liar who lies...but here we are...LOL) so I have to go at the pace that we are able to at night after the kids go to bed, so usually a single episode...but I expect we'll be caught up by next week.

#492 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 24 August 2022 - 04:03 PM

View PostChance, on 24 August 2022 - 12:12 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 24 August 2022 - 12:06 PM, said:

Well I'm halfway through the season now and I still love it intensely. I have nothing to complain about. So maybe I'm just built different? ;)

Will be interesting to see what you think after all 8, if I remember it right it was the last episode which really solified my opinion. :)

It’s the episode that broke me.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#493 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 August 2022 - 04:31 PM

You guys all know that Episode 8 was the way it was because COVID screwed production out of what they had planned and they had to roll with those punches to make it work, right? I'm not there yet, but I know going in that it's going to be a hinky ending to the season for reasons beyond productions control, and hopefully S2 shooting went much more smoothly.

#494 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2022 - 12:49 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 04 December 2021 - 01:47 PM, said:

Ep 5

Spoiler

Spoiler

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 December 2021 - 05:56 PM, said:

Ep 5 was excellent

Spoiler

Indeed. I read some people complained about this episode as a sort of side-journey that felt pointless, but I'm the opposite as I feel it did a TONNE of heavy lifting for the world building and the series as a whole. It gave my non-book reading wife a lot more info than she might have otherwise had.

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 04 December 2021 - 05:56 PM, said:

Spoiler

Yes, and this would make tonnes of sense since Daniel Henny is half Korean on his moms side. A nice real world allegory that fit well.

View PostRenewed For 2 More Seasons, on 05 December 2021 - 03:25 AM, said:

Re: Rand, I'm not finding the show version of him whiny at all. In fact, he's among the most easy going characters in the whole thing so far. Waaaaaaay scaled back from the books. Mat remains the biggest wiener in the books and the show, but the show version is still a lot better, and I agree the actor is nailing it.

Agreed. Hard agree. In the books Rand can be hard to take at times, but here he's very easy to take.

View PostImperial Historian, on 05 December 2021 - 09:22 PM, said:

Spoiler

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 06 December 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

On Padan Fain

Spoiler

This is BRILLIANT. This MAY be the best thing they've done in the series so far. The ever presence of him in such subtle ways is such a genius thing for the show to do as a shorthand for the character and those around him in the books and how infiltrated everything already is.

View PostEmperorMagus, on 10 December 2021 - 11:27 PM, said:

View Post(BK), on 10 December 2021 - 11:00 PM, said:

Ep 6

Spoiler

Spoiler

I know that there have been other speculations on why Harris left (up to and including conflict between Harris and Rafe)...but I feel like the easiest answer to him leaving and deleting his social media right around the COVID lockdowns all points at him being an anti-vaxxer. I can't think of any other reason for him to leave when he did once filming had finally resumed for eps 7 and 8, nor the fact that he's not returned to Social Media since then...nor the fact that he's not worked in the industry since March 2020 at all. In which case, no matter how good he was at playing Mat (and he WAS good)...good riddance.

I look forward to what Donal Finn brings to the role (and amusingly, he looks the part as much as Barney did).

Anyways, wife and I finished up Episode 7 last night. Was great, and the funny thing is that all the way through the reveal of who the DR was, she was still guessing and not until they turned up at Moiraine's door did she guess it. So the writers did an exceptional job of fooling the non-book readers.

I still love the show BTW to all wondering, and knowing that I'm in for some vast and plot shenanigans due to COVID for Episode 8, I'm prepared for any changes.

I do know one change is not what it seems.

Spoiler

Wife loves it and is riveted to each episode. She has a crush on Daniel Henney, and I mean...who doesn't?

EDIT:

Adding in another Episode 7/8 COVID/Harris leaving shennanigans factoid from the producers:

They were going shoot on Location in La Gomera (Canary Islands) as The Blight, but COVID restrictions, and Barney leaving forced them onto the backfoot and they had to not only furiously rewrite the ending of S1, but had to shoot on a soundstage AND create the blight in CGI instead....

Here's what the Blight WOULD have looked like if they'd not been fucked by COVID.

Attached File  LaG.jpg (79K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  LaG2.jpg (109.29K)

Attached File  LaG3.jpg (115.15K)

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 August 2022 - 01:55 PM

#495 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 September 2022 - 12:39 PM

Okay done episode 8.

I don't get the upset frankly, and I think I largely fall in line with TRB on how I feel after finishing it. I had a few issues, but nothing insurmountable, and as the adaptation of the weakest book in the series, it was damned good for the most part.

Also, the fact that people noped out of the series at ep 8 after enjoying eps 1-7 is strange to me. One episode in a single season kills the entire thing for you? Okay...

anyways spoilers for the ep

Spoiler

TL;DR: I enjoyed it, and am very much looking forward to S2

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 01 September 2022 - 12:46 PM

#496 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 December 2022 - 06:53 PM

Re-watching this and enjoying it even more on the rewatch. SOOOOO many tiny details.

#497 User is offline   the broken 

• Fist

Posted 04 February 2023 - 08:11 PM

WOT is an interesting one. A lot of the adaptation choices are pragmatic, cutting Baerlon and Caemlyn makes sense just to cut down on the budget and so on, but you have other ones like
Spoiler

#498 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 April 2023 - 12:49 PM

An AMA with Rafe from JordanCon, with many actor intros and other stuff. Enjoy!

#499 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:07 AM

I feel like the costume designer from this show recently got fired by Nickleback.

#500 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 24 May 2023 - 01:54 PM

SEPTEMBER 1st baby! FINALLY! Season 2!

A deeply blue book-accurate outfit for Moiraine? NOICE!

Oh and Donal Logue is going to be one of those people who many viewers simply don't realize isn't Barney Harris...he looks a lot like him, and still looks like a perfect Mat.

images spoilered for size

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 24 May 2023 - 02:20 PM

Share this topic:

• 32 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users